2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

40 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I could not find information.  Hell with it.  All I know is that Wilson has talents to be NFL qb but needs a right coaching to achieve that success. 

For a QB a small portion of what makes them succeed is their talent. It's mental for them. Of course there's been tons of times where a guy has both. But there's pretty much been little to no examples of guys who are franchise QBs in this league that have no football smarts. And I'd love to see the examples of Wilson having smarts in the NFL. Does he have an arm? Yes. Can he elude pressure? Yes. Does he know how to go through his progressions, know when to get rid of the football, know how to do simple mechanics like planting his feet correctly to throw? NO.

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

I'm not really sure about the hate for Carr. He is significantly better than anyone we have had here. When have we had a QB who consistently throws for 4,000+ yards a season? 

Carr hasn't been in the greatest situations, the Raiders organization has been pretty bad. What other veteran QBs are there to get? Are we going for Baker Mayfield?  Jimmy?  Who is the guy who is significantly better? 

Lamar Jackson will cost multiple 1st round picks and he scares me as well, has a knee injury and if he loses speed or can't run anymore he will be useless as a QB. 

The laughable part is that most don't think Carr is bad. It's that they still think Wilson can be a franchise QB under a different OC. I guess when that fails... that OC was just the wrong hire again and we did bad by Zach. The idea that Zach is just garbage isn't fathomable I guess for some.

For me I never wanted to draft him and the faster we can get rid of him the better.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For a QB a small portion of what makes them succeed is their talent. It's mental for them. Of course there's been tons of times where a guy has both. But there's pretty much been little to no examples of guys who are franchise QBs in this league that have no football smarts. And I'd love to see the examples of Wilson having smarts in the NFL. Does he have an arm? Yes. Can he elude pressure? Yes. Does he know how to go through his progressions, know when to get rid of the football, know how to do simple mechanics like planting his feet correctly to throw? NO.

In other words, you think he is uncoachable?

Ryan Tannehill and Alex Smith had dealt with terrible early portion of their NFL career but they turned out all right.

14 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

True.

But nonetheless I want a competition. I think that will do a lot for the team. 

I agree with having a competition for playing time 99% of the time. What you're failing to realize is 2 things. #1 Zach has a 0% chance of beating out virtually anyone in an actual qb competition. There will not be a competition in 2023 with zach wilson involved. 2024 we can talk but it's just not happening this year. #2 it is disrespectful to even think that a borderline top 10 qb like carr has to battle for his job. I think you should go back and watch some tape on him throughout the years. I've watched him quite a bit over the years I've had him as my fantasy qb multiple times and I'm telling you the guy is pretty solid. His defense constantly let him down time and time again.

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

They'll adjust. Let's say you bring in Carr and name him starter but he's outplayed by Wilson in camp and in the pre-season. How do you not play Wilson week 1 if he's been the best QB during the spring and summer?

See this is where you literally could not be more wrong. Either you haven't watched enough of Carr or you weren't watching the Jets last season but there is quite literally a 0% chance Wilson is outplaying him in camp. It's just straight up delusional to even think there's a chance that he could

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

In other words, you think he is uncoachable?

Ryan Tannehill and Alex Smith had dealt with terrible early portion of their NFL career but they turned out all right.

Tannehill and Smith were never as bad as Wilson for starters. And they also aren't/weren't franchise QBs. Did they have some success? Of course. But I wouldn't call them these great QBs that are worth sticking it out for. The idea of holding onto Wilson and letting him start is to see if he's good under a new system and coaching correct? What has he done ever (I'll even go back to his college days) to warrant him getting another chance? Because he was drafted 2nd overall? That really shouldn't give him a shot just because of where he was drafted. It's a business of building a team and winning games. He harnesses back the other 52 guys on the roster.

I 100% am not on the boat of saying get rid of him. But he IMO should not start unless injury (which is how the season for him the last 6 games were, let's remember) and that was with Mike White at QB.

The idea of him beating out any QB worth a darn for me is laughable. They must be watching a different QB than I am.

3 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

See this is where you literally could not be more wrong. Either you haven't watched enough of Carr or you weren't watching the Jets last season but there is quite literally a 0% chance Wilson is outplaying him in camp. It's just straight up delusional to even think there's a chance that he could

Echols might beat out Sauce too. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Tannehill and Smith were never as bad as Wilson for starters. And they also aren't/weren't franchise QBs. Did they have some success? Of course. But I wouldn't call them these great QBs that are worth sticking it out for. The idea of holding onto Wilson and letting him start is to see if he's good under a new system and coaching correct? What has he done ever (I'll even go back to his college days) to warrant him getting another chance? Because he was drafted 2nd overall? That really shouldn't give him a shot just because of where he was drafted. It's a business of building a team and winning games. He harnesses back the other 52 guys on the roster.

I 100% am not on the boat of saying get rid of him. But he IMO should not start unless injury (which is how the season for him the last 6 games were, let's remember) and that was with Mike White at QB.

The idea of him beating out any QB worth a darn for me is laughable. They must be watching a different QB than I am.

Smith was that bad.  I think it was Norv Turner that saved him from poor statistic but he become HC somewhere.

First year and 3rd year were awful.  2nd season was Turner's season as OC.   Let me recheck it.