2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

2 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Would you say the chances of Rodgers still being good are higher than Carr being better with the Jets than he was with LV?

I'd say that's an easy yes. I don't see an option other than Lamar that is more likely to succeed with this Jets team. Sure Carr could end up being here for multiple years but he also very likely won't be good enough.

Yeah, but still need to do a cost-benefit analysis. Rodgers is a diva, the NY media will crush him when he fails to meet the expectations of desperate NYJ fans thinking we're gonna get MVP Rodgers. 

It's a disaster waiting to happen. I don't want Carr either. And Lamar won't stay in the AFC if he's traded.

Just now, jetjuice said:

Yeah, but still need to do a cost-benefit analysis. Rodgers is a diva, the NY media will crush him when he fails to meet the expectations of desperate NYJ fans thinking we're gonna get MVP Rodgers. 

It's a disaster waiting to happen. I don't want Carr either. And Lamar won't stay in the AFC if he's traded.

So what's your plan, then?

Just now, Sandwhich2 said:

So what's your plan, then?

I've been pretty clear about who my guy is this whole time - CJ Stroud.

I'd be on the phone with Chicago for #1 pick tbh. If they don't bite, I'm speaking with Arizona.

If I'm going to mortgage my future, I'm doing it for a guy that has more than a two year max window that isn't flirting with retirement and drama every offseason. 

Look at the remaining playoff teams - offensive minded HC's and home grown QB's. One team (Philly) wasn't scared to draft another early pick QB after investing heavily in Wentz, and it paid off.

I'll keep drafting a QB every year till we get it right tbh. 

12 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Because you are still speculating at the end of the day... there's a VERY good likelihood that 40 year old Rodgers is a shell of his old self and isn't an elite QB anymore that can singlehandedly keep his team above .500 and make a playoff push. I think you're living in the past a bit. 

I’ll say one thing if you had to mortgage every penny you own on Rodgers more like his MVP self with us or Wilson becoming a franchise QB…. Which one are you choosing?

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ll say one thing if you had to mortgage every penny you own on Rodgers more like his MVP self with us or Wilson becoming a franchise QB…. Which one are you choosing?

Why do I have to pick either?

I can't even believe I'm about to say this, but at least Wilson won't set us back in terms of cap space and draft capital. We've worked so hard to dig ourselves out of a bad spot in those areas, just to put ourselves back there out of desperation for a one year rental at QB? That's irresponsible. 

Edited by jetjuice

5 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

I've been pretty clear about who my guy is this whole time - CJ Stroud.

I'd be on the phone with Chicago for #1 pick tbh. If they don't bite, I'm speaking with Arizona.

If I'm going to mortgage my future, I'm doing it for a guy that has more than a two year max window that isn't flirting with retirement and drama every offseason. 

Look at the remaining playoff teams - offensive minded HC's and home grown QB's. One team (Philly) wasn't scared to draft another early pick QB after investing heavily in Wentz, and it paid off.

I'll keep drafting a QB every year till we get it right tbh. 

Ah.

I just don't see that even being a possibility. I'm fine with drafting a guy in addition to acquiring Rodgers , btw, but I have always been and remain in favor of letting guys sit a bit before playing. 

3 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Why do I have to pick either?

I can't even believe I'm about to say this, but at least Wilson won't set us back in terms of cap space and draft capital. We've worked so hard to dig ourselves out of a bad spot in those areas, just to put ourselves back there out of desperation for a one year rental at QB? That's irresponsible. 

What some of you guys see baffles me. Not gonna go round and round about this anymore.

Pretty pointless for me to debate with anyone who thinks Wilson even has a chance still after what we’ve seen for 2 years plus his pop Warner NCAA career.

26 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So he played 12 games with a broken thumb. And that shouldn’t afffect scoring?

TD red zone pct at home is 61.  Away is 42.   Packers usually have well over 55 in both area.   Home (included London game I think) checked.  Away failed.   

Also, Rodgers still scored td every game.

Edited by JetsandI

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What some of you guys see baffles me. Not gonna go round and round about this anymore.

Pretty pointless for me to debate with anyone who thinks Wilson even has a chance still after what we’ve seen for 2 years plus his pop Warner NCAA career.

I didn't say that at all, don't put words in my mouth. I'm as anti-Wilson as they come, you just forced me to pick between two options that I don't like (read: "why do I have to pick either?"). Just stating objective facts about the situation - sticking with Wilson is essentially biting your nose to spite your face, but overpaying for an over the hill one year rental is the opposite extreme. I'm not with either.

Edited by jetjuice

23 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

I didn't say that at all, don't put words in my mouth. I'm as anti-Wilson as they come, you just forced me to pick between two options that I don't like (read: "why do I have to pick either?"). Just stating objective facts about the situation - sticking with Wilson is essentially biting your nose to spite your face, but overpaying for an over the hill one year rental is the opposite extreme. I'm not with either.

I hear you. What we want doesn’t matter though. I’m listening to what our owner, GM and HC have said this off-season. And we’re going big for a QB. So some come sit here and say all they want let’s try Wilson again. Let’s bring in someone average like Tannehill or Brissett. But if you listen to the FO, we’re doing something bigger. Doesn’t matter if we like the compensation for what it will take to get a Rodgers, Carr or whoever. That’s likely the way we’ll try and go all In.

I like this debate y’all were having.

However the statement was “if the Jets just got average QB play they’d be contenders”

With a new OC and improved/healthy OL I think Zach can give you average QB play, he’s done it this year though he was extremely inconsistent with it. 

But again we don’t need MVP level, Franchise QB level play. And I’m not sure Rodgers gives us either of those. But he’ll at minimum give us average QB play.

5 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I like this debate y’all were having.

However the statement was “if the Jets just got average QB play they’d be contenders”

With a new OC and improved/healthy OL I think Zach can give you average QB play, he’s done it this year though he was extremely inconsistent with it. 

But again we don’t need MVP level, Franchise QB level play. And I’m not sure Rodgers gives us either of those. But he’ll at minimum give us average QB play.

We have no clue that who our new OC is. Nevermind that Zach would be better under a new system. He doesn’t seem to process things fast at all. If I had to guess he’d be the exact same. So even if he made some ground mentally and mechanically. How slow he might process a brand new system… about evens it out for me. Nevermind that he’s likely no matter what. Not getting full starting reps. Because after all he didn’t earn them. Best case for him is we bring in someone average and he has a shot to win it. But I just can’t see that happening with the way our top 3 guys have talked this off-season. We’re doing something big. Not sure what though.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We have no clue that who our new OC is. Nevermind that Zach would be better under a new system. He doesn’t seem to process things fast at all. If I had to guess he’d be the exact same. So even if he made some ground mentally and mechanically. How slow he might process a brand new system… about evens it out for me. Nevermind that he’s likely no matter what. Not getting full starting reps. Because after all he didn’t earn them. Best case for him is we bring in someone average and he has a shot to win it. But I just can’t see that happening with the way our top 3 guys have talked this off-season. We’re doing something big. Not sure what though.

That’s the new OCs job to help with. Or are we no longer holding coaches accountable?