Wildcard Weekend GDT Dolphins @ Bills: Squish the Fish again!

Trentwannabe

Sabato: Josh Allen shows he's still got some magic as Bills close out  Dolphins, widen AFC East gap | Sports | niagara-gazette.com

Miami (9-8) @ Buffalo (13-3)

Last 5:
December 17 2022: Dolphins 29 @ Buffalo 32
September 25 2022: Bills 19 @ Dolphins 21
October 31 2021: Dolphins 11 @ Bills 26
September 19: Bills 35 @ Dolphins 0
January 3 2021: Dolphins 26 @ Bills 56

This will be the 5th time these two teams faceoff in the playoffs, with Buffalo winning 3 of the first 4. 

Quick synopsis: Josh Allen loves playing Miami and Allen becomes a whole different beast in the playoffs. The Dolphins are banged up and have questions through out their team. Buffalo is playing motivated and with legitimate Super Bowl aspirations. This should be a fun game for the Bills as they've been here before and Miami hasn't looked good since a later Nov game against Houston.

Bills 34
Dolphins 16.

I have not been impressed at all with our secondary lately... Doesn't make me feel great going into a matchup vs Hill/Waddle and then potentially Chase/Higgins/Boyd.. Von would've helped in order to get the ball out quickly but it seems like teams have figured out how to beat our zone coverage and where the pockets are. Seemed like between the 2 bengals drive + yesterday the opposing WR's were wide open..

However, I believe we win this game regardless of Tua. But we need our secondary to really step it up or we're going to have to relay on Allen and the offense putting up 35+ every week to win. 

6 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

I have not been impressed at all with our secondary lately... Doesn't make me feel great going into a matchup vs Hill/Waddle and then potentially Chase/Higgins/Boyd.. Von would've helped in order to get the ball out quickly but it seems like teams have figured out how to beat our zone coverage and where the pockets are. Seemed like between the 2 bengals drive + yesterday the opposing WR's were wide open..

However, I believe we win this game regardless of Tua. But we need our secondary to really step it up or we're going to have to relay on Allen and the offense putting up 35+ every week to win. 

I understand the secondary concerns and they are legitimate. Our offense has stepped up to pick up the defense and vice versa at times. This team is more resilient than I’ve seen in a long time. The Bengals marched down the field that first drive. We marched right back down ourselves. Their second drive was one run and one pass before Damar went down so I don’t see much there personally.  

8 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Our secondary and pass rush has been doo doo

Yet here we are at 13-3 with our 3 losses a combined 8 points. This team finds ways to win. For as much as we all see our defense give up yardage, they do make adjustments. Also, we have JOSH ALLEN. Nobody is rolling over us. Are we beatable? Sure. Every team is beatable. Do I think this team is destined to win it all this year? ABSOLUTELY 

*limiting turnovers is the key (especially in the playoffs) 

• Like 1

If Allen can limit the turnovers in the postseason we are going to be a very tough out regardless. We've seen Allen plays his best football in big games/moments (last years playoffs + typically any prime time game). Our LB play has been amazing so hopefully that could help out our secondary and balance things out a bit. 

I think that if Tua plays, we need to be ready for this to be as tough as it was last time. I know they've played poorly the last month, but it's divisional and it's playoffs. We've struggled with home-run hitters like Reek, Waddle, Jefferson this year. If Tua doesn't play, there is absolutely no excuse for Buffalo to lose. Neither of their back-ups can run the timing offense that they need to use if Hill or Jaylen will have their big impact.

Edited by xian3000
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, xian3000 said:

I think that if Tua plays, we need to be ready for this to be as tough as it was last time. I know they've played poorly the last month, but it's divisional and it's playoffs. We've struggled with home-run hitters like Reek, Waddle, Jefferson this year. If Tua doesn't play, there is absolutely no excuse for Buffalo to lose. Neither of their back-ups can run the timing offense that they need to use if Hill or Jaylen will have their big impact.

Nice to see a familiar face posting again! 

I agree about their backups playing. No excuses to lose to Bridgewater or Thompson. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillSabre said:

Yet here we are at 13-3 with our 3 losses a combined 8 points. This team finds ways to win. For as much as we all see our defense give up yardage, they do make adjustments. Also, we have JOSH ALLEN. Nobody is rolling over us. Are we beatable? Sure. Every team is beatable. Do I think this team is destined to win it all this year? ABSOLUTELY 

*limiting turnovers is the key (especially in the playoffs) 

This is pretty balanced. I think Joe Marino from Locked on Bills made a pretty good point about criticism of the defense or margin of victory over the lowly patriots this week. They came in motivated and playing for their playoff lives, our team was scattered mentally and scarcely got to practice, and we still won by multiple scores. 

All that said, if we meet the Bengals in the post season, Frazier is going to need to roll out a better scheme than the one that left Patriot receivers with cushion all over the field. It could be big to have a healthy Taron, Poyer, and Benford by the time that happens. No point in trying to evaluate what would have happened during the MNF game with Cinci, but what we saw of our pass defense was not great. 

• Like 1