2023 Off Season / Draft Thread

DM316

3 minutes ago, swoosh said:

Who are your top guards available? Torrence? Avila? I've heard good things about Torrence, but admittedly don't know a ton about the guard prospects this year. 

Top needs for me, in no particular order: OG, WR, EDGE, NCB, LB.

Of those 5, I think we have the most depth at EDGE but if there's someone available at 44 they think can make an impact I'm for it. 

Torrence is huge and a mauler in the run game, his body is horrible though not a good 340. Avila about the same but shorter, can play guard and center though so there's that. I'd put Bergeron in the mix, great run blocker another guy who played tackle but shorter arms probably fits best at guard. I wouldn't rule out them anticipating Nielsen can get a big jump out of Ebiketie and Malone and bypassing EDGE in 2/3. Idk what it would take to move up to get Branch but I'd look there first pending compensation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swoosh said:

Who are your top guards available? Torrence? Avila? I've heard good things about Torrence, but admittedly don't know a ton about the guard prospects this year. 

Top needs for me, in no particular order: OG, WR, EDGE, NCB, LB.

Of those 5, I think we have the most depth at EDGE but if there's someone available at 44 they think can make an impact I'm for it. 

My personal #1 choice would actually be taking Mauch and moving him to Guard. I think his nastiness, strength and athleticism translate really well there and he can easily gain 5-10 lbs to help him out in the trenches. Plus he’s a swing tackle if either of our bookends get hurt.

I like Torrence as a pass blocker, but I think he’s a touch under-athletic to be a guard in our scheme.

I don’t have a lot of knocks on Avila, I think he’d be real nice too. I only value Mauch a little bit more because of his ability to play tackle. But Avila may well be the better pick for Guard.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DM316 said:

Torrence is huge and a mauler in the run game, his body is horrible though not a good 340. Avila about the same but shorter, can play guard and center though so there's that. I'd put Bergeron in the mix, great run blocker another guy who played tackle but shorter arms probably fits best at guard. I wouldn't rule out them anticipating Nielsen can get a big jump out of Ebiketie and Malone and bypassing EDGE in 2/3. Idk what it would take to move up to get Branch but I'd look there first pending compensation.

There you go, got Bergeron. The fan in my wanted one of my draft crushes in Branch, but can't hate that pick at all. OG was a need. Protect your assets. Good pick.

• Like 1

I’m not too sure how to feel about Bergeron, so I’ll default to hopeful on that one. 

The Harrison pick is an interesting one. I’m hoping that Nielsen hand picked this guy so that he could develop him the way he’s developed so many defensive lineman in this league.

On another note, I was trying to look up the athletic testing numbers of these guys and I barely found anything for either of them… I know Harrison had a hamstring issue at the combine but why does it seem like more and more prospects are opting out of tests? Kinda frustrating tbh

13 hours ago, swoosh said:

There you go, got Bergeron. The fan in my wanted one of my draft crushes in Branch, but can't hate that pick at all. OG was a need. Protect your assets. Good pick.

I wanted Branch there, thought it was a done deal when we traded up. "Branch on a trade up and Bergeron, Morris, or Ekiyor in the 3rd" is what I told a co-worker yesterday.  Same with Bijan, don't hate the player more where he was taken. He was a late riser though so probably wouldn't have been there in 3. I'm sure they tried but an extra 2nd would have been nice.

Edited by DM316

11 minutes ago, SoCalDirtyBird said:

I’m not too sure how to feel about Bergeron, so I’ll default to hopeful on that one. 

The Harrison pick is an interesting one. I’m hoping that Nielsen hand picked this guy so that he could develop him the way he’s developed so many defensive lineman in this league.

On another note, I was trying to look up the athletic testing numbers of these guys and I barely found anything for either of them… I know Harrison had a hamstring issue at the combine but why does it seem like more and more prospects are opting out of tests? Kinda frustrating tbh

Hopefully his next Trey Hendrickson. Adebawore would've been a better dice roll imo.

Edited by DM316

10 minutes ago, DM316 said:

Hopefully his next Trey Hendrickson. Adebawore would've been a better dice roll imo.

I agree. In this loaded pass-rusher draft, it was a little disappointing to end up with a guy that hasn’t sacked the QB much over long, athletic, and productive pass rushers like Diaby or Adebawore.

I highly doubt that Harrison will reach even close to the level of Hendrickson, but if he can just be a beast of a run stuffer and somewhat hold his own rushing the passer then that’s an objectively good 3rd round pick.

• Like 2

Hindsight is 20/20 but that trade up for Bergeron kinda hurt seeing who's left with 2 picks in the 4th ....

Luke Wypler

AT Perry

Antonio Johnson

Adetomiwa Adebawore

Kelee Ringo (Move to Safety)

Clark Phillips III

35 minutes ago, DM316 said:

I wanted Branch there, thought it was a done deal when we traded up. "Branch on a trade up and Bergeron, Morris, or Ekiyor in the 3rd" is what I told a co-worker yesterday.  Same with Bijan, don't hate the player more where he was taken. He was a late riser though so probably wouldn't have been there in 3. I'm sure they tried but an extra 2nd would have been nice.

I thought for sure we were grabbing Branch. We met with him and he seemed like such a perfect player for that third safety/NCB in Nielsen's defense.

I totally understand the LG pick though. It was probably a bigger need than DB, I just wonder if was truly there BPA. Agreed that extra 4th would be nice today with the players still on the board, but I trust Terry and crew that they knew they needed to move up to get their guy. If Bergeron can shore up that position, it's well worth it the small cost of the move up. Our offensive line looks nasty if he pans out. DB is also deeper in this draft. We can find a DB in round 4, we aren't finding a LG starter in round 4. 

This was a great video from Chris Simms on Bergeron. Pegged him as the 2nd best interior OL prospect and being picked anywhere from 33-50. Evaluation seems to match everything else I've read since the pick. 

28 minutes ago, SoCalDirtyBird said:

I agree. In this loaded pass-rusher draft, it was a little disappointing to end up with a guy that hasn’t sacked the QB much over long, athletic, and productive pass rushers like Diaby or Adebawore.

I highly doubt that Harrison will reach even close to the level of Hendrickson, but if he can just be a beast of a run stuffer and somewhat hold his own rushing the passer then that’s an objectively good 3rd round pick.

I talked with an Ohio State fan about Harrison. He seemed to echo what I heard on NFLN last night. Great athlete with elite size. Fans had high hopes for him coming in and being the next Joey Bosa or Chase Young, but it never happened. He started to figure things out in his final year though. Sacks didn't come, but he led the team in pressures with over 30. Motor is high.

He obviously needs to clean up some things, but I see what the Falcons like in him. A player worth the 3rd round. He'll be able to learn from guys like Campbell. I wouldn't have said this a year ago, but this is a good landing spot for Harrison. We have great depth there now. Feels weird to say. Probably the most depth we've had at edge for as long as I can remember. 

Some guys I could see being targeted here. All of them have met with the Falcons, aside from Tyler Scott. 

A.T. Perry, WR

Xavier Hutchinson, WR

Trey Palmer, WR

Tyler Scott, WR - No reported visit (key word: reported) but there's the Ridder connection

Antonio Robinson, S

Jammie Robinson, S

Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, CB

• Like 1