2023 Off Season / Draft Thread

DM316

It's a big one. Walking out of cap hell strapped with $$$. If we spend right in FA and have another draft with as much promise as the one we just had, things will be looking way up. Last year's draft could end up paying huge dividends. London and Allgeier are for real. Ebiketie, Andersen, Ridder, and Malone all showed flashes. Big offseason for their development too. 

• Like 1

Yeah, if we manage to hit another 2-3 guys in the draft like we did this year, we got a stew goin.

I know we have cash, but not sure who I'd want to target as of now. Another WR to pair with London and Pitts (Juju?) and DL help (Tomlinson maybe). Guessing we'll target a vet QB (feeling QB dominoes will fall and we end up signing Tannehill).

As far as the draft, as much as we need pass rush, I hope we don't pigeonhole ourselves into a pass rusher at 8 (a la Jamaal Anderson). Just take the best talent regardless of position, while we have pieces, there really isn't a position which can't be improved. Sucks we are out of reach of Anderson/Carter (barring a random fall come draft day), but such is life. Haven't started diving too deep into prospects yet, so uncertain who I want at this point.

Who are you guys looking at as far as targets? Both FA and draft

Agreed. Need to figure out QB but I like where this train is heading. Fontenot has made some nice moves with the hand he was dealt and Smith, while far from perfect, had this team overachieving this year. We're finally out of cap hell. Their show starts now. 

As far as needs, WR, OL, and hit defense hard. Address needs in free agency and go BPA in draft. 

Aside from JuJu mentioned above, Jakobi Myers, Darius Slayton, DJ Chark, and Allen Lazard are some names to watch at WR. All 26-27 and shouldn't cost a fortune. We're looking for a third receiving target in a run-first offense, they don't need to be a stud. Think someone like Sanu was for us. London and Pitts is a nice 1-2 punch, we just need some supporting players who can win 1 on 1 match-ups. Ideally you add a WR (or two) in free agency, then draft one as well. 

I haven't looked at OL or defensive free agents yet. 

• Like 2

I could see Fotenot taking a hard look at Davenport. I don't really know how to feel about it. I guess what that price would be is the question. He had 0.5 a sack more than any of us posting here but also 30+ pressures. Jessie Bates (not a true need but an upgrade)? Does Da'ron Payne fit at 5-tech opposite Grady? Ngakoue isn't much against the run but he can get after the QB for sure. Yet to look at OL, LG and C need addressed. No real marquee free agent's but a lot of good pieces out there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, swoosh said:

Agreed. Need to figure out QB but I like where this train is heading. Fontenot has made some nice moves with the hand he was dealt and Smith, while far from perfect, had this team overachieving this year. We're finally out of cap hell. Their show starts now. 

As far as needs, WR, OL, and hit defense hard. Address needs in free agency and go BPA in draft. 

Aside from JuJu mentioned above, Jakobi Myers, Darius Slayton, DJ Chark, and Allen Lazard are some names to watch at WR. All 26-27 and shouldn't cost a fortune. We're looking for a third receiving target in a run-first offense, they don't need to be a stud. Think someone like Sanu was for us. London and Pitts is a nice 1-2 punch, we just need some supporting players who can win 1 on 1 match-ups. Ideally you add a WR (or two) in free agency, then draft one as well. 

I haven't looked at OL or defensive free agents yet. 

Meyers if he's not too expensive. I think Marvin Jones is a free agent also.

Juju probably isn't an actual possibility on second thought, unless the money is right. He'd be our third target most likely and not sure he'd want that. Given the other names put out, Slayton seems most possible. Like the idea of Marvin Jones if available.

Wonder if Nate Davis would sign here if the Titans don't resign him, given his history with Smith?

Thoughts on whether we keep Matthews after the restructure yesterday?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

Juju probably isn't an actual possibility on second thought, unless the money is right. He'd be our third target most likely and not sure he'd want that. Given the other names put out, Slayton seems most possible. Like the idea of Marvin Jones if available.

Wonder if Nate Davis would sign here if the Titans don't resign him, given his history with Smith?

Thoughts on whether we keep Matthews after the restructure yesterday?

I just saw something this morning on the Davis/Smith connection and it makes sense. The other guard spot has been an abyss. 

44 minutes ago, DM316 said:

I just saw something this morning on the Davis/Smith connection and it makes sense. The other guard spot has been an abyss. 

I think Matthews stays, that would just be one more hole and McGary is up. 

• Like 1

Who does everyone like in the 1st? My 2 are Nolan Smith and Christian Gonzalez. Out most of the year with a torn pec, I think Smith will absolutely be in the convo at 8 after workouts. Ideally trading back to the 15-20 range for either. Not big on Tyree Wilson or Myles Murphy as stand up edges. Both look more like base end's in a 4-3. I've also read that teams aren't as high on Anderson.

On 1/10/2023 at 4:10 PM, DM316 said:

I could see Fotenot taking a hard look at Davenport. I don't really know how to feel about it. I guess what that price would be is the question. He had 0.5 a sack more than any of us posting here but also 30+ pressures. Jessie Bates (not a true need but an upgrade)? Does Da'ron Payne fit at 5-tech opposite Grady? Ngakoue isn't much against the run but he can get after the QB for sure. Yet to look at OL, LG and C need addressed. No real marquee free agent's but a lot of good pieces out there.

Payne fits at 0-1T opposite Grady and would allow Grady to play his more natural 3T. the 5T is Graham

14 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Hey Falcons fans. If you were to trade for Lamar Jackson, would do you think would be fair trade compensation?

IMO the Falcons would be a good fit for Lamar because of Arthur Smith's offense and Lamar likes warm weather, Ravens get to move him to NFC. 

I think the baseline would be the Wilson/Stafford deals. What makes it tricky as a fan, the fact that they waited so late to start Ridder. He showed flashes and looked better by the week but 4 games isn't much of a sample size. A capable veteran backup QB and building the rest of the roster makes more sense IMO but if you can upgrade the most important position you have to kick the tires. 

On 1/19/2023 at 8:38 AM, DM316 said:

I think the baseline would be the Wilson/Stafford deals. What makes it tricky as a fan, the fact that they waited so late to start Ridder. He showed flashes and looked better by the week but 4 games isn't much of a sample size. A capable veteran backup QB and building the rest of the roster makes more sense IMO but if you can upgrade the most important position you have to kick the tires. 

Interesting. I wasn't sure if Ridder was considered a future starting QB or not. I guess that's still up in the air. I wonder if Arthur Smith is feeling a bit of pressure to make the playoffs next year. I feel like if you add Lamar to Smith's scheme with Allgeier and Patterson in the backfield it would be a nightmare to defend. I would think from a scheme standpoint Atlanta would be the best fit for Lamar if he is traded. Ravens would obviously be more interested in trading him to NFC. So the compensation from ATL would not have to be quite as much from AFC teams. 

17 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Interesting. I wasn't sure if Ridder was considered a future starting QB or not. I guess that's still up in the air. I wonder if Arthur Smith is feeling a bit of pressure to make the playoffs next year. I feel like if you add Lamar to Smith's scheme with Allgeier and Patterson in the backfield it would be a nightmare to defend. I would think from a scheme standpoint Atlanta would be the best fit for Lamar if he is traded. Ravens would obviously be more interested in trading him to NFC. So the compensation from ATL would not have to be quite as much from AFC teams. 

The best scheme fit for Lamar is the one he's already in IMO. Don't get me wrong, he would absolutely ball out here with our run game and the London-Pitts duo plucking his less-than-accurate passes out of the air with their good ball skills and tremendous wingspans.

But trading 2-3 first round picks + change AND giving him an insane contract probably wouldn't help us much in the wins category with the way our roster is constructed. The Rams and Broncos were in much better positions with the talent on their roster when they went out and got the "missing piece" QBs that they got. We, on the other hand, probably couldn't afford to have Lamar taking a giant portion of the cap, resigning our homegrown talent (best guard & top 5 corner in the league), and not having first round picks for the foreseeable future to infuse the roster with affordable talent.

Lamar is an incredible talent, no doubt. But he's not the missing piece for us, our roster still has a ways to go unfortunately. He could win a superbowl with NYJ with the way that roster is constructed though.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 6:49 PM, AngusMcFife said:

Hey Falcons fans. If you were to trade for Lamar Jackson, would do you think would be fair trade compensation?

IMO the Falcons would be a good fit for Lamar because of Arthur Smith's offense and Lamar likes warm weather, Ravens get to move him to NFC. 

LAmar ain't leaving Baltimore. this convo is moot.