Chargers fire OC Joe Lombardi

.Buzz

9 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Scapegoat. Lombardi was a problem but not the problem. The problem is Brandon Staley. The Chargers will be frauds until he is gone. Period.

He needs to go back to doing what he did in 2021. He lost his aggressiveness and got beat by a guy who didn’t.

3 hours ago, kramxel said:

I think it would be a terrible choice to waste a 1st round pick, in the current phase the Chargers are in, needing to win now.

I get the Sean Peyton appeal, even though I'm not his greatest fan, but using a 1st rounder to do it, would really hurt this franchise.

If we would fire Staley (not gonna happen, now), I would rather much preffer to go to a young OC, looking for the next step, than to limit the ceiling of this franchise in the immediate future. Chargers are in win now mode, regardless of who is coaching.

There is zero chance we ever get Payton. Trading away a first for him is totally something we’d do but there is zero chance Deans taps into that shared delicious shared revenue pie and pays a top dollar coach. There is a higher likelihood they call me up tomorrow to offer me the OC job and let me implement the Fatcat offense then Dean opening up his purse and directly taking away from his bottom line. 

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

If it was just when Herbert was hurting, it would be far more understandable.  But the KC games these decisions happened before Herbert was injured in the 1st game, and frankly the overwhelming case was to go for it.    And even calls like punting instead of going for a FG (I get Dicker doesn't have a big leg, but 52 in perfect conditions vs. losing 22 yards of field position with a miss, that's not a hard call); didn't have to be go-for-it. 

It's easy to espouse naked aggression when the metrics call for it - until you lose games with those calls.   Don't get me wrong, I fully endorse sticking with metrics if it calls for a clear decision - but when you lose games even with the right call, that's when you see coaches lose their nerve.   I wish I could say I thought Staley changing his MO was based on those factors, and not simply losing his nerve.   Time will tell.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I’m saying that Lombardi’s play design and playcalling also got exposed once Herbert got injured. And it’s unfortunate that even when we got all the big offensive guys back, we were still struggling especially in the redzone.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Scapegoat. Lombardi was a problem but not the problem. The problem is Brandon Staley. The Chargers will be frauds until he is gone. Period.

Lombardi is definitely terrible. He's not a scapegoat but he also might not be the entirety of the problem. Justin Herbert is going to have an unbelievable season next year.