Early first shot at a mock offseason

minutemancl

I'm surprised it only took me a few days to gain an objective view of the season, but that was super successful season for the Giants, given the circumstances. And it was super fun as well. Now, at minimum 2 weeks later than we all thought, we can look forward to the offseason. Here's what I think I would do right now:

Currently: 40 players under contract. $168 million of cap spent. $4 million in dead money. Cap space ~ $54 million.

Cuts (all pre-June 1st. Schoen doesn't like to shoot himself in the leg down the line, so I won't either):

Kenny Golladay. Dead cap hit of $14.7 mill. Saves $6.7 mill. Self explanatory.

Shane Lemieux. Negligible dead cap hit. Saves ultimately ~$1 mill. He's shot, and we have a lot of other young guards on cheaper contracts that are better.

Restructures/Extensions:

Leonard Williams. He gets a restructure/extension that lowers his cap hit in 2023 and extends him an additional 2 years. His cap hit in 2023 is $32 million; there is no way he plays at that number. It is a $20 million dead cap hit if we were to cut him, so it isn't really worth cutting him. When he is healthy, he is still a good player, and this was the first year of his entire career that he actually got hurt. Basically, we lock up Leo for another 2 years and his cap hit falls to $25 mill in 2023, saving us $7 mill while retaining his services.

Dexter Lawrence- contract extension that keeps him here 5 years after his 5th year option year in 2023. Doesn't impact the 2023 cap number, so I won't bother detailing it. However, it gets done this offseason in order to beat Quinnen Williams getting his new contract.

Re-signings:

Saquon Barkley- 3 years, $40 mill, $22 mill gtd. Cap hit of $10 mill in 2023. Lots of money in per-game bonuses. 

Daniel Jones- 3 years, $120 mill, $35 mill gtd. Basically Derek Carr's contract extension. Cap hit of $20 mill in 2023.

Nick Gates- 2 years, $8 mill, $4 mill gtd. Cap hit of $4 mill in 2023.

Sterling Shepard- 1 year, vet minimum (about $1 mill). Vet min cap hit in 2023.

Casey Kreiter- 1 year, vet minimum.

Nick Williams- 1 year, vet minimum.

Richie James- 1 year, $2.5 mill, $500k gtd.

Julian Love- 2 years, $10 mill, $5 mill gtd. Cap hit of $4 mill in 2023.

ERFA options exercised on Lawrence Cager, Wyatt Davis, Jack Anderson, and, most importantly, Isaiah Hodgins.

Status after these moves: $21.5 mill in cap space. 46 players under contract.

Free agent signings:

LB Tremaine Edmunds- 5 years, $60 million, $30 million gtd. Cap hit of $5 mill in 2023. Big splurge of free agency. He fills a need, is a good, young player, and has familiarity with Daboll and Schoen. 

WR Mecole Hardman- 4 years, $44 million, $18 million gtd. Cap hit of $5 mill in 2023. This is our speedy Darius Slayton replacement.

EDGE Brandon Graham- 2 years, $10 million, fully guaranteed. Cap hit of $5 mill in 2023. We need a rotational/spot starter edge rusher because Azeez is not entirely reliable and you can never have enough of them.

That should leave us about enough to sign our rookie class.

Draft (only first 3 rounds, because I'm not that up to date with this draft class):

Using PFF's mock draft simulator using default settings with no trades (does not give us our compensatory third from the Toney trade).

Round 1, pick 25- Jordan Addison, WR USC

Round 2, pick 57- Garrett Williams, CB Syracuse

Round 3, pick 89- Luke Wypler, C Ohio State

Let me know what you think?

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

I like most of it. I think Hardman is an overpay at that price. I feel Love is going to get way more than that on the open market. I’ll love to get another veteran CB to serve as a #2 or 3 corner.

At least Hardman could stretch the field. Only deep option we have now is Slayton and it's obvious D's don't respect his over the top threat. But TBH I think Ju Ju is the better candidate to throw money at. Ju Ju, Shep, Robinson, James, Hodg is a decent corps. Nothing to write home about but decent enough for Jones to make some progress. 

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

EDGE Brandon Graham- 2 years, $10 million, fully guaranteed. Cap hit of $5 mill in 2023. We need a rotational/spot starter edge rusher because Azeez is not entirely reliable and you can never have enough of them.

This is just my personal take, but from everything Graham has said throughout his career, he'd probably sooner retire than play in New York or Dallas.

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

I like most of it. I think Hardman is an overpay at that price. I feel Love is going to get way more than that on the open market. I’ll love to get another veteran CB to serve as a #2 or 3 corner.

I originally had him at 9 per, but spotrac has his market price at 11 per, with a likely asking of 4 years. I originally had him down for 3/27, bur it probably will take 4/44 to get him. 

1 minute ago, Danger said:

This is just my personal take, but from everything Graham has said throughout his career, he'd probably sooner retire than play in New York or Dallas.

Thats possible. I'd still want a veteran edge guy then. Substitute in Cameron Jordan (potential cap casualty in NO), Melvin Ingram, Justin Houston, Carl Lawson (another potential cap casualty down the street), or Dante Fowler.

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I originally had him at 9 per, but spotrac has his market price at 11 per, with a likely asking of 4 years. I originally had him down for 3/27, bur it probably will take 4/44 to get him. 

Even with how desperately we need receivers we can’t overpay. He’s coming off an injury plagued year and he has one career 100 yard game.

I don't think we'll be able to keep both Saquon and Daniel on reasonable deals and net a big FA like Edmunds. If we do, I'll consider it a bonus.

Someone will overpay for Mecole and I hope it's not us. Remember Alvin Harper?

Love will get a decent offer from someone, and I won't mind if he takes it. He's too inconsistent.

I agree with most of the other moves though. In the draft I'm leaning toward WR, LB, and C in whatever order best works for us.

1 minute ago, y*so*blu said:

don't think we'll be able to keep both Saquon and Daniel on reasonable deals and net a big FA like Edmunds. If we do, I'll consider it a bonus.

We definitely can, it’s how we setup the contracts. Most contracts have the cap hits later.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Acgott said:

Even with how desperately we need receivers we can’t overpay. He’s coming off an injury plagued year and he has one career 100 yard game.

On the open market, you're not going to be able to get a receiver without overpaying. If you don't want to overpay for a WR, you'll have to trade for one (you may overpay in picks instead of money), or draft one. I also have us drafting one.

I keep looking back at the Bengals. They are loaded at receiver talent, and it makes their whole offense so much better. Burrow doesn't even need more than 2.5 seconds to throw, because one of those 3 guys will get open in that time. Buffalo is complaining about their lack of skill player talent, and they have Stefon Diggs. You need more than just 1 or 2 good receivers now. 

I would be interested in an offseason where we spent no money on new receivers, spent money elsewhere, then drafted like 2 or 3 guys. That intrigues me.

50 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I would be interested in an offseason where we spent no money on new receivers, spent money elsewhere, then drafted like 2 or 3 guys. That intrigues me.

That’s definitely a preferred strategy than overpaying on a career 500 receiver coming off an injured season

• Like 1

I'd love to get Addison at 25 but majority of the mocks I've seen him going in the 10-20 range. Seems like Njigba would have to be the guy at 25 if we wanted to go WR. 6'1 200lbs he's got alot more meat on him then Addison. He was a monster in 2021 but hamstrings did him in this season. Not sure we want to invest that much into a guy who's already having hammy issues and bringing him into Metlife. I know they are planning on replacing the turf but with more.. turf. Would really love somehow for Quentin Johnston to fall to us. 6'4 215lbs 4.40. Big and fast. Don't see him falling past NE though.