2023 Mock Draft thread

Forge

10 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Will be 25 in March

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that. They did a good job on where I would expect the 49ers to go though (truthfully, they may not go center, but right now it's definitely a need and I've taken Wypler in several mocks as well). 

Matt Barrows most recent mock: 

1. Adetomiwa Adebaware - DT, Northwestern

He's an interesting guy, but I don't know that he profiles as a true interior defender, which is problematic, but I think he could be a passing down, rushing the passer guy only.  Think Kevin Givens in terms of trunk, with brandon aiyuk arms lol (he was weirdly long arms for his size).  He probably maxes out as a true rotational pass rushing DT. I don't know that I love bouncing him between a interior against the pass and edge against the run...I think I'd sooner just have him rotate in and out. I think he has a great get off and definitely a high motor guy. 

I think there's a reasonable chance you can get him later than this because I think he's just going to be off some people's boards due to not meeting some physical benchmarks, but wouldn't hate this pick at all. 

2. Jonathan Mingo - WR, Ole Miss

Hey, I'm not the only one thinking this ! Yay! I've been a fan of his fit with this team for a while now (as you can see from my own earlier mock)

Just a great future Jennings replacement and he's probably more versatile to boot. He could probably even be a very long term Deebo replacement. Could be an X and a power slot, so definitely some versatility there.  Very physical and is willing to block his *** off. He looked good at the senior bowl, but didn't get nearly as much hype as some others like Michael Wilson, which is kind just how I like it. Like Deebo and Jennings, he's not a great pass catcher, but he'll make stuff happen after the catch and he's a willing participant without the ball, two things that you know Shanny will love. 

3. Payne Durham - TE, Purdue

I've been pretty high on Sam Laporta for the TE2 spot because I think Shanny will really like him, but this would be fine too. He makes a lot of sense as a TE2. He's a big dude and should be a quality red zone target, and he's more of an in line tight end as opposed to an F. Mostly would project him as a zone beater at the next level. One of the reasons I prefer Laporta is that there's a little more upside and versatility there (he could fill in for Juice or be your TE2), though Durham would give us our best bet for a quality blocking tight end 2 over the last few years. He can make some some really nice catches in tight confines. 

I'm not sure if it's coincidence, or recency bias or what, but worth noting that Barrows took a ton of senior bowl guys. The first three showed out pretty well. 

4. Karl Brooks, DT, Bowling Green

Barrows lists him as a DE, but he's likely another DT. Physically, he's also another tweener. 300 pounds, short arms, only 6'3. He's not going to rush the passer from the outside. He's also old (5th year senior). This late in the draft, pickings are likely slim, but I'm kind of meh on this. Generally speaking, I'd like to bet on traits at this point and I don't think Brooks has enough of them, to be honest. Didn't get a combine invite which tells me that overall interest in him league wise is probably pretty meh. 

5. Asim Richards, OT, UNC

I don't know a ton about him...but he's got good length for a tackle and a ton of experience, which fits the mold of Shanny / 49ers day three tackles like a glove. I really only watched some of his senior bowl reps, haven't really dug into him a ton beyond that...thought his feet looked choppy and I think he can benefit from real coaching working out some technical kinks. 

6. Marte Mapu, S, Sac St

Don't know anything about him. Apparently went to the senior bowl, but didn't have a combine invite. 

7. Anthony Johnson, CB, UVA 

I would like this pick. Good size, good fit for an outside zone corner for us if we stick to what we've been doing and I like the focus on ball skills. 

8. Zakhari Franklin, WR, UTSA

Don't like double dipping WR, tbh. Seems overkill. He's a fine prospect though. Just don't like it in the confines of this particular mock. 

9. Rashad Torrence, S, Florida 

I'll be curious to see if he sticks at safety. I'm not sure he's fluid enough  to play nickel, but I don't think he's going to play the deep part of the field regularly. The tackling was much better this year than last, but still can be suspect.

10. Tim Demorat, QB, Fordham

Everyone knows Shanny is just going to keep adding these QBs lol 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 1:29 PM, Forge said:

2. Jonathan Mingo - WR, Ole Miss

Hey, I'm not the only one thinking this ! Yay! I've been a fan of his fit with this team for a while now (as you can see from my own earlier mock)

Just a great future Jennings replacement and he's probably more versatile to boot. He could probably even be a very long term Deebo replacement. Could be an X and a power slot, so definitely some versatility there.  Very physical and is willing to block his *** off. He looked good at the senior bowl, but didn't get nearly as much hype as some others like Michael Wilson, which is kind just how I like it. Like Deebo and Jennings, he's not a great pass catcher, but he'll make stuff happen after the catch and he's a willing participant without the ball, two things that you know Shanny will love. 

My mid-round receiver crush this year is Rakim Jarrett. I would be ecstatic if we could land him in the fifth, although I would not be surprised to see him rise during this pre-draft process. 

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

My mid-round receiver crush this year is Rakim Jarrett. I would be ecstatic if we could land him in the fifth, although I would not be surprised to see him rise during this pre-draft process. 

I honestly haven't been paying a ton of attention to receiver yet mainly because I don't think we're drafting one until the 6th or 7th round as a PS stash guy. We're most likely carrying 5 WRs on the 53 and all 5 are already here (assuming Jennings signs the ERFA tender). 

Would a mid-round rookie really bounce Ray-Ray or Gray off the roster already?  

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I honestly haven't been paying a ton of attention to receiver yet mainly because I don't think we're drafting one until the 6th or 7th round as a PS stash guy. We're most likely carrying 5 WRs on the 53 and all 5 are already here (assuming Jennings signs the ERFA tender). 

Or we keep six. Ray-Ray is a special teams player first and foremost in my mind. I'm not saying I'm expecting us to keep six, but if you have value in the 5th round you take the guy and let them compete. We all know that it takes some times for receivers to adjust to Shanahan's offense and Jennings will be a free agent again next year. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we make a move in the middle rounds. 

8 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Probably not, but a 6th receiver would be in comp with all the other bottom roster guys like the 4th LB, 5th safety, 6th corner, 3rd QB etc..  I think the team decides on the amount of roster spots to spend at each position after having looked at the talent in the building.  

47 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Or we keep six. Ray-Ray is a special teams player first and foremost in my mind. I'm not saying I'm expecting us to keep six, but if you have value in the 5th round you take the guy and let them compete. We all know that it takes some times for receivers to adjust to Shanahan's offense and Jennings will be a free agent again next year. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we make a move in the middle rounds. 

43 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Probably not, but a 6th receiver would be in comp with all the other bottom roster guys like the 4th LB, 5th safety, 6th corner, 3rd QB etc..  I think the team decides on the amount of roster spots to spend at each position after having looked at the talent in the building.  

Yeah, I mean I'm not saying no to a receiver taken that guarantees a roster spot. I just think a late-round guy that could be placed on the PS would more attractive and would allow that roster spot be used on a DB, DL, or TE.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished up TCMD. For those who aren't aware of what that is, its a total off season mock which includes free agency and the draft. Because of this, needs and whatnot can change from where we really are (which is why, for example, you'll see no Tight end in my draft). 

So I ended up losing McG, Moseley just like real life.  I didn't re-sign Gipson, lost Al-Shaair. I also was not able to keep Ebukam or Omenihu. I was able to keep Brunskill, but ended up losing Jake Brendel, which is a slight departure from real life. I resigned Jordan Willis, Ty McGill, DFF, McKivitz, Jennings, 

Unfortunately, there are restrictions in the way that free agents are signed that makes it a little more difficult to sign big money free agents with low first year cap hits, so big money free agents like Hargrave were pretty much out the window. I restructured a couple of players and then just threw a lot of crap at the wall with regards to low cost free agents. 

• Irv Smith ,TE - I've been banging the drum for him this entire off season. Think he's under valued and I think he's a great TE2. Signing him and still having Kittle / Woerner really alleviated the need to reach for a TE in the draft. 
  • Cairos Santos, K - I think Chicago cut him in this and he's a good enough kicker that if he's the guy moving forward, we are probably okay. 
  • A whole crap ton of basically vet minimum defensive line guys. This is what I did on the edge: Shaq Lawson, Carl Nassib, LJ Collier, Trey Flowers. On the interior, I added Jordan Phillips and Rakeem Nunez-Roches to help out on the interior. Neither is a pass rusher, but adds some meat to the middle. 
  • Adrian Amos + Ruby Ford. Solid add. I actually still hope we are looking at potentially adding Amos as it is. I think he's still playing at a competent level. Ford was a back up safety for Green Bay for most of the year last year and then started some games when Darnell Savage was benched. 
  • Also added a bunch of vet min types on the offensive line to round those guys out. The Saints cut Andrus Peat, so I signed him for cheap. Billy Turner as a back up right tackle and Pat Elflein as a backup interior lineman. 
  • After that, it was mostly guys on really cheap deals that didn't hit the top 51 to get us closer to the 90 man roster limit. 

Then we came to the draft. I didn't move around at all, but some of the picks may differ slightly from where we are in reality because the game's draft order is set a little earlier. To start off I'll say that Tight ends and centers flew off the board. Anyone I was remotely interested in at tight end in the third round was well gone, and I think that like 5 centers had already been taken. It was crazy...so in my mock, Brunskill is probably out starting center. 

#99 - Tyrique Stevenson, CB, Miami - He was like 5th on my corner list when there was like 25 picks to go until I was up and he somehow ended up being the one I was "stuck" with. Stevens has all the tools...decent enough size, decent enough athlete...but I do think he's more straight line which is a little concerning when you match in man, and his zone coverage wasn't great in college. He makes some good plays, but he's not consistent at all and gets burnt often. Does have pretty solid recovery though. He wasn't the corner I really wanted at this spot, but I have no problem with taking him there. 

#101 - Colby Wooden, IDL, Auburn - The toughest part about Wooden is that he's lost in tweenerville. Maybe you play him on the edge on base downs if you need to set an edge, but I think that that he's making his money as a penetrating 4i. Personally, I really like Wooden as a player. He's got pretty good length for an interior penetration role and he's a good athlete on the interior. Slithery in his movements and I think he's explosive when attacking from the interior. 

#102 - Jon Gaines, IOL, UCLA - This is my reach. Given where the team is at the top of the roster and how many picks we have (including the third round), and the fact that I lost Brendel in free agency, I made a play for Jon Gaines. He's almost certainly a center for the 49ers, I think, and frankly, he was the only one at the combine to hit the magical short shuttle number. Gaines is probably a day three pick (maybe a late one), but I was willing to gamble him here since I didn't have another pick until the late fifth round. I was sure he wouldn't get to that point. Gaines had the best three cone time at the combine for interior offensive linemen and a 4.45 shuttle time. Interior linemen running 4.47 shuttles tend to turn out as good investments at the nfl level, no matter where they are drafted. It's not 100% or anything, but when even the late round picks and undrafted guy have pretty good hit rates, you know this is working. Gaines had a 98 NGS athleticism score and a 9.95 RAS. 

The fastest short since 2010 was Jason Kelce, who was drafted in round 6 and will go to the hall fame. The second fastest time during that stretch was our very own Jake Brendel (also out of UCLA like Gaines) who went undrafted and suer enough is a competent starting center. 

#157 - Wanya Morris, OT Oklahoma - Did this for @Chrissooner49er, just so we would have an Oklahoma product. No, but seriously, I think Morris has the pedigree to be a pretty good developmental prospect. He's got a couple of seasons of starts, he's got good feet, decent athlete. I think he has bad hands and leverage. But I think there's a lot here to work with. 

#166 - Jakorian Bennett, DB Maryland - I like Bennett. He's feisty and he could be an outside corner, inside corner, or safety at the next level. He's maybe not as long as you would want for the outside, but he he has all of the athletic tools. He's super grabby and a penalty machine, but he's very active going after the ball at the catch point but doesn't track the ball as smoothly as you'd want. He probably should have had more picks than he actually had. I was actually pretty psyched that he was here which is why I double dipped the position in only 5 picks. 

#173 - Dylan Horton, EDGE, TCU -  I've mentioned it before, but I don't like this edge class. I think it's very weak, so I felt no inclination to really go after it early on. I figured I could just throw some darts later on. Horton is undersized, not very long, not very strong but has some decent athletic traits and was productive. The wide 9 does allow for some latitude with smaller guys like this, but I don't think Horton has the athleticism of someone like Ebukam, so he may not be able to overcome it. 

#216 - Robert Beal, Edge, UGA- This is the Matt Cassel dart throw, to be honest. Kind of the opposite of Horton. Beal never was able to take off in a stacked UGA defense. He took a step back this year. But he was a five star recruit, he has an awesome toolkit from an athletic profile and physical profile and I mean, I don't know how much to hold it against him that he never quite ripped it apart on that stacked, deep defense. Maybe he should have transferred, I don't know. He's unrefined, doesn't really have much besides the traits, but I feel like if you just give this guy a pass rush move or two, and tell him to go get the QB, he's going to be a pretty good #2 pass rusher. I'd love to know what @Ftn49 thinks on this one as I believe he's a UGA fan. 

#224 - Aiden O'Connell, QB, Purdue - I feel like we may go QB in the 7th or the UDFA market again to stash on the practice squad and I've long thought that O'connell is a guy that shanny would like. Instead of waiting for UDFA, I just took him here. 

#249 - Chad Ryland, K, Maryland - I know that I signed Santos, but with 4 seventh round picks, there was no reason to really pass up just taking him here for some competition. 

#254 - Trevor Reid, OT, Louisville - Given the choice, I I may have taken this back and drafted Blake Whiteheart who I think is a solid flyer on a late day 3 tight end who may be okay. This was probably overkill on the offensive line, but I never hate going with the trenches here. Reid is a very athletic, but he is raw as hell and a penalty machine. He's definitely a year one PS type guy. He's got excellent length, but he needs to be bigger and stronger for sure and I'd like to see him play with a bit of nasty....which he simply does not do. I feel like he's overly passive and when he goes up against bullies, he loses. That's probably the reason I'd like to change this pick because I don't know if that is something that can be fixed, even if I find the athletic ability tantalizing. 

#256 - Dee Winters, LB, TCU - He's probably a WILL only just because I don't know if he's aggressive enough to target and shed blockers anywhere else. He's a good athlete who is probably a tick too slow off the initial snap. I don't think he's a liability in coverage either. 

• Like 2

I just completed my first mock draft of the year on The Draft Network. Here's how it went:

3.76: Sydney Brown, S (traded 3.100, 6.217, and 7.223 for 3.76)

3.102: Elias Ricks, CB

3.103: Luke Schoonmaker, TE

5.157: Jakorian Bennett, CB

5.166: Elijah Higgins, WR

5.175: Nick Saldiveri, OT

7.224: Isaiah McGuire, EDGE

7.249: Chad Ryland, K

7.255: Viliami Fehoko, EDGE

20 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I just completed my first mock draft of the year on The Draft Network. Here's how it went:

3.76: Sydney Brown, S (traded 3.100, 6.217, and 7.223 for 3.76)

3.102: Elias Ricks, CB

3.103: Luke Schoonmaker, TE

5.157: Jakorian Bennett, CB

5.166: Elijah Higgins, WR

5.175: Nick Saldiveri, OT

7.224: Isaiah McGuire, EDGE

7.249: Chad Ryland, K

7.255: Viliami Fehoko, EDGE

Love getting McGuire and Fehoko that late, especially McGuire. I think that he can be a useful player in the Arden Key role. Love the positions taken and all of the players I am familiar with. I haven't scouted Schoonmaker yet. What does he bring to the table?