BrownLeader 2023 Positional Rankings

BrownLeader

27 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't know what prospect you're talking about, but I don't think it's Paris Johnson.  Prototype OT measurements who gave up two sacks all season.

In what game was he "always beaten" by higher talent guys?  Because he shut down almost every Edge rusher on your list that he faced this year.

I'm not even a big Paris Johnson fan. I think he'll be a solid starter, but isn't some top 10 talent in a regular draft class. His tape is fantastic and he's got all the tools. He's on the shorter end for an OT, but it's not like he's too short. His height is on the low average end for the position.

@BrownLeader I think you're wrong about Will Anderson. He is extremely fast and will probably time in the 4.5 range. The reason he doesn't rip the edge like a maniac is because he doesn't have to. He's got more than enough bend and rip around the edge ability. He just chooses with win by converting speed to power, which, IMO, is the best possible way to rush the passer. It allows you to maintain your gap integrity en route to the QB. I'd much rather that than someone that dips and rips themselves out of the play 99% of the time (Myles Garrett). Not saying Garrett is by any means bad, but it makes him less productive as a player against the run.

17 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I'm not even a big Paris Johnson fan. I think he'll be a solid starter, but isn't some top 10 talent in a regular draft class. His tape is fantastic and he's got all the tools. He's on the shorter end for an OT, but it's not like he's too short. His height is on the low average end for the position.

Is he shorter than he's listed as?  Because he's listed as 6'6" which is in no way on the shorter end.  He looks to have very long arms too.

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Keion White is that dude?

He's pretty damn good. Strong like bull, but has a lot of speed and some bend. He's not dissimilar from Rashaan Gary, although Gary had superfreak testing times. I still think White is a mid-late day 2 guy, but he's got a chance to be very good if he can harness some of his "bull in a China shop."

5 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I keep hearing 6'4. I haven't vetted this, but that's what I've seen & have him listed at. 6'6 is prototype size, if he's there.

Then yeah, that would be a little short.  Broderick Jones is that height too, and a little svelte, which is one factor in me softening on him vs. Anton Harrison, who is a big ole boy.

I did see that Johnson's arms measured in at 35" and change at something he went to though, so even if he comes in 6'4" I'm not too concerned.  So long as everything else is in order (arms, weight, etc.), height's not that big a concern to me.

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Then yeah, that would be a little short.  Broderick Jones is that height too, and a little svelte, which is one factor in me softening on him vs. Anton Harrison, who is a big ole boy.

I love Broderick Jones. His temperament is nasty and he's got fantastic hips and mirroring capabilities. I need to do more OT work, but I think Jones might be my favorite in the class.

I don't really care about OT height, for what it's worth. Unless you're Isaiah Wynn (6'2), I could care less how tall you are. 6'4 is fine, IMO. It's ideal to be 6'10 and 490 if you can move and bend, but there's always a trade-off with that size. 

I haven't watched any Anton Harrison. From what I read, he's a nasty run blocker who moves fluidly to the second level, but based on the system he is in, he's taken very minimal actual pro pass sets, which can be concerning. idk...I gotta watch him. I loved Orlando Brown Jr. coming from an RPO scheme, so I don't wanna assume these OT's can't pass block just based on a limited amount of reps.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 11:36 PM, MagicMT said:

What makes you so high on Myles Murphy? I love his physical profile and can understand he has untapped potential but what is he actually showing on tape that warrants such a high rank? I'm really low on him and he is outside my top 5 EDGE but everybody seems enamored with him and I don't get it

Agree with @BetterCallSaul. He's a physical freak. Ideal combination of size, speed and fluidity.

He looks unlockable at times on film. Especially when he actually uses his hands and length. 

I think his instincts are shotty and he leaves a lot of plays on field. He also becomes unnecessarily finesse at times. 

Baseline I think he's a Za'darius Smith type talent but if he takes to coaching and works like a pro he could be a lot better.

Edited by BrownLeader

On 2/7/2023 at 3:18 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

@BrownLeader I think you're wrong about Will Anderson. He is extremely fast and will probably time in the 4.5 range. The reason he doesn't rip the edge like a maniac is because he doesn't have to. He's got more than enough bend and rip around the edge ability. He just chooses with win by converting speed to power, which, IMO, is the best possible way to rush the passer. It allows you to maintain your gap integrity en route to the QB. I'd much rather that than someone that dips and rips themselves out of the play 99% of the time (Myles Garrett). Not saying Garrett is by any means bad, but it makes him less productive as a player against the run.

I'm not sure he's especially fast or bendy. I've seen him compared to Justin Houston....not a bad comp at all imo but it'd be a 245 lb Houston instead of 270. That's a significant difference. 

To me he reminds me a lot of Jabaal Sheard... albeit a better or more angry version.

Sheard was drafted to be a weakside edge pass rusher but ended up being a good strong side run defender that would get sacks in bunches.

On 2/7/2023 at 11:52 PM, NYRaider said:

Keion White is that dude?

Bit of a frustrating prospect imo. He's got a motor and at times looks especially difficult to block with his power and mobility.

But at the same time he's undisciplined, lacks technique and has poor balance. And the motor burns up rapidly.

At his best he could be something like Pernell Mcphee but he's got significant bust potential.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Final rankings up and some final voluminous comps to chew...

Bryce Young - Joe Montana-esque

Hendon Hooker - 2022 DeShaun Watson

Will Levis - arm talent Taysom Hill

Anthony Richardson - bigger Michael Vick

CJ Stroud - mobile Jared Goff

Deuce Vaughn - pocket Devonta Freeman

Zach Charbonnet - Demarco Murray

Bijan Robinson - LaDainian Tomlinson

Jahmyr Gibbs - Raheem Mostert

Sean Tucker -faster Devin Singletary

Izzy Abanikanda - Felix Jones

Mo Ibrahim - Javon Ringer