The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

11 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I laid it out. Lessen Slay’s hit with a new 3 year deal. You can wiggle out of it after 2. Ramsey is traded here, is making 17M or something for 2023? He signs a new 5 year deal, gets his bonus money, his cap hit through his first couple years is as minimal as you can make it. His big money doesn’t hit until year 3, Slay will be gone although I’m sure some of his money will still be on the books, Jalen will only be 31 and should still be playing at a decently high level. 

Im sure its a long shot but it could work theoretically. 

I think you're crazy to extend slay. His play began to bomb half way through the year. Id rather get rid of slay while he has some value than give him extra money. You are also ignoring the fact you need to man a full roster with a bit of the team being free agents and enough dead money to pay mahomes.  I get the money not hitting until year three, but there will be accumulative dead cap space with this move. We are about to pay franchise QB money.  We are the highest dead money ever....you know who has the least? The chiefs. The ones who keep getting to the Superbowl and restocking 

Edited by Shalodeep

27 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I think you're crazy to extend slay. His play began to bomb half way through the year. Id rather get rid of slay while he has some value than give him extra money. You are also ignoring the fact you need to man a full roster with a bit of the team being free agents and enough dead money to pay mahomes.  I get the money not hitting until year three, but there will be accumulative dead cap space with this move. We are about to pay franchise QB money.  We are the highest dead money ever....you know who has the least? The chiefs. The ones who keep getting to the Superbowl and restocking 

I thought the saints had more or is there 100 million debt other contractual agreements? Not doubting you just curious

40 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

I thought the saints had more or is there 100 million debt other contractual agreements? Not doubting you just curious

We are at 46. 4million dead. Second place is the raiders at 29 million from the list I've seen 

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-2023-salary-cap-eagles-dead-money-chiefs/

I'm far from a cap expert, but I know we've kicked the can down the road so much that we are covering a franchise QB in dead money. We are seeings the extent in how that effects your cap this year and that's without Jalen getting his pay 

Edited by Shalodeep

3 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

He pays dead cap through dummy years. Which aren’t usually paid until years after the contract is signed unless the player is traded (Wentz) or retired (Brooks) then the money is accelerated. Yes, he’s paying dummy money on previous contracts today (Bradberry, Cox). But won’t be paying dummy money to (let’s just say Ramsey) until like 2026-2028. It’s pretty clear that Howie uses dead cap as a tool. We have all that dead cap and still have cap space. You just have to stay on top of it. Dead cap, for example is 15% of your cap this year, cap goes up, that same amount of dead cap becomes 8-10% the following year. It’s a simple inflation strategy. Essentially, Howie is giving himself a loan for the future when he knows that in 3-4 years that money will be cheaper. It’s like getting a cheap bank loan when interest rates are low. Borrow money at 3%, through inflation (cap expansion) that money is less valuable when you pay it back. When Howie pays for his dead cap, he’s paying pennies on the dollar from yesterday’s money. 

How you feel about Slay doesn’t really matter. I for one, think he’s still good. I highly doubt he’s getting traded. We have nothing at outside CB right now without him. Anyway, Slay’s hit is 26M this year. Get used to him being here for another couple years. That numbers coming down, he’s getting restructured. And if Howie wanted to fit some pieces in with that money saved, he’d have the funds available. Lanes money has been kicked so far down the road, you probably can’t even see it anymore but he’s probably getting restructured too. His hit is enormous this year. 

Josh Allen’s cap hit was 10M and 16M respectively his first two years. Jalen will still be relatively cheap for a couple years (cap wise) for a franchise QB when he decide to sign him. Hurts is on the hook for 4.7M for this year. We’d only need another 5 or 6 to get him under the cap with a big extension according to the terms of Allen’s contract. It’s not like he’s going to have $45M against the cap immediately. You really only have to worry about money from new contracts about 3 years down the line where you can start manipulating that money around through restructures. It’s pretty standard stuff now thanks to Howie. 

I mean, there’s always going to be years when it’s a little thinner than usual. But has Howie not earned that trust yet? We won a SB, signed Wentz to a massive contract only to be out from under it a couple years later and back in the SB a couple after that with almost a whole new roster. I’m not claiming to understand (or even half of it) everything about cap and contracts but it’s pretty clear Howie wouldn’t sink himself later with moves he’s making now. He’s always 2-3 steps ahead of this stuff. Maybe adding any trades or big FAs won’t be in the cards this off-season but I can guarantee if a move comes along to improve the team, Howie can work it in. 

Edited by Jroc04
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

He pays dead cap through dummy years. Which aren’t usually paid until years after the contract is signed unless the player is traded (Wentz) or retired (Brooks) then the money is accelerated. Yes, he’s paying dummy money on previous contracts today (Bradberry, Cox). But won’t be paying dummy money to (let’s just say Ramsey) until like 2026-2028. It’s pretty clear that Howie uses dead cap as a tool. We have all that dead cap and still have cap space. You just have to stay on top of it. Dead cap, for example is 15% of your cap this year, cap goes up, that same amount of dead cap becomes 8-10% the following year. It’s a simple inflation strategy. Essentially, Howie is giving himself a loan for the future when he knows that in 3-4 years that money will be cheaper. It’s like getting a cheap bank loan when interest rates are low. Borrow money at 3%, through inflation (cap expansion) that money is less valuable when you pay it back. When Howie pays for his dead cap, he’s paying pennies on the dollar from yesterday’s money. 

How you feel about Slay doesn’t really matter. I for one, think he’s still good. I highly doubt he’s getting traded. We have nothing at outside CB right now without him. Anyway, Slay’s hit is 26M this year. Get used to him being here for another couple years. That numbers coming down, he’s getting restructured. And if Howie wanted to fit some pieces in with that money saved, he’d have the funds available. Lanes money has been kicked so far down the road, you probably can’t even see it anymore but he’s probably getting restructured too. His hit is enormous this year. 

Josh Allen’s cap hit was 10M and 16M respectively his first two years. Jalen will still be relatively cheap for a couple years (cap wise) for a franchise QB when he decide to sign him. Hurts is on the hook for 4.7M for this year. We’d only need another 5 or 6 to get him under the cap with a big extension according to the terms of Allen’s contract. It’s not like he’s going to have $45M against the cap immediately. You really only have to worry about money from new contracts about 3 years down the line where you can start manipulating that money around through restructures. It’s pretty standard stuff now thanks to Howie. 

I mean, there’s always going to be years when it’s a little thinner than usual. But has Howie not earned that trust yet? We won a SB, signed Wentz to a massive contract only to be out from under it a couple years later and back in the SB a couple after that with almost a whole new roster. I’m not claiming to understand (or even half of it) everything about cap and contracts but it’s pretty clear Howie wouldn’t sink himself later with moves he’s making now. He’s always 2-3 steps ahead of this stuff. Maybe adding any trades or big FAs won’t be in the cards this off-season but I can guarantee if a move comes along to improve the team, Howie can work it in. 

You trust him a lot more than I for long term. 1/5 of the cap is in dead money this season with a ton of open spots on the defense. I trust him in finding coaches, replacing front office, and restructuring contracts for immediate needs ... I don't trust him at all with drafting and I feel he holds on to older players a little too long.  You are right, it doesn't matter how I feel about Slay....the tape defends my position enough for me to not go into a verbal war over it.  Even if Jalen's money only counted for 15 million this year, that's all our cap space without signing rookies. We have kicked the can down the road over and over again to the point now it's a top QB pay in dead cap and we are about to pay a QB some serious cash and the defense is having a mass exodus.  Doesn't matter who we hire at DC, the poor guy is taking over a bad position. Howie is a talented Weasel. He may figure out how to rob Peter to pay Paul, but I feel we will see another 2020 season before you see another 2022 with this formula.

21 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

You trust him a lot more than I for long term. 1/5 of the cap is in dead money this season with a ton of open spots on the defense. I trust him in finding coaches, replacing front office, and restructuring contracts for immediate needs ... I don't trust him at all with drafting and I feel he holds on to older players a little too long.  You are right, it doesn't matter how I feel about Slay....the tape defends my position enough for me to not go into a verbal war over it.  Even if Jalen's money only counted for 15 million this year, that's all our cap space without signing rookies. We have kicked the can down the road over and over again to the point now it's a top QB pay in dead cap and we are about to pay a QB some serious cash and the defense is having a mass exodus.  Doesn't matter who we hire at DC, the poor guy is taking over a bad position. Howie is a talented Weasel. He may figure out how to rob Peter to pay Paul, but I feel we will see another 2020 season before you see another 2022 with this formula.

His cap skills are probably the best out of things you listed. No, he hasn’t been the best drafter but it’s not been bad. 

If Ramsey gets a new contract, his number will be significantly less than 15M his first year. His last contract hits were 6 and change and 9 and change the first two years. We could probably get Slay and Ramsey both next year for a hit around 20 total. What I’m saying is, regardless of how you feel about it, it’s achievable. 

Anything can happen. 2022 was a ride. I don’t really see it happening again either. But I didn’t see 2022 happening in the first place. Are you just supposed to not try though? We have prime players in their prime. We can’t afford to reset and waste a year or two. The complexities of rosters are too dynamic to waste opportunities. If Howie can make the numbers work, I trust him. 

• Like 1

Possible RB's who are available via Trade / Draft / FA. Whos your pick? 

Mixon - 210 Attempts - 814 Yards - 7 TDS - 3.9 AVG / 60 Rec - 441 Yards - 7.1 YPC - 2 TDS - Missed 3 Games

26 / Turns 27 This Year

Sanders - 259 Attempts - 1269 Yards - 11 TDS - 4.9 AVG / 20 REC - 78 Yards - 3.9 YPC - 0 TDS - Missed 1 Game

25 / Turns 26 This Year

Cook - 264 Attemps - 1173 Yards - 8 TDS - 4.4 AVG / 39 REC - 295 Yards - 7.6 YPC - 2 TDS - Missed 0 Games

27 / Turns 28 This Year

Barkley - 295 Attempts - 1312 Yards - 10 TDS - 4.4 AVG / 57 REC - 338 Yards - 5.9 YPC - 0 TDS - Missed 1 Game (Held Out)

Bijan - 258 Attempts - 1580 Yards - 18 TDS - 6.1 AVG / 19 REC - 314 Yards - 16.5 YPC - 2 TDS 

Hunt - Low usage past 4 years / Could be a RB1 everywhere else. Turns 28 this year - Could be a 2-3 year steal.

5 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

Barkley - 295 Attempts - 1312 Yards - 10 TDS - 4.4 AVG / 57 REC - 338 Yards - 5.9 YPC - 0 TDS - Missed 1 Game (Held Out)

Bijan - 258 Attempts - 1580 Yards - 18 TDS - 6.1 AVG / 19 REC - 314 Yards - 16.5 YPC - 2 TDS 

Hunt - Low usage past 4 years / Could be a RB1 everywhere else. Turns 28 this year - Could be a 2-3 year steal.

One of these 3.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

His cap skills are probably the best out of things you listed. No, he hasn’t been the best drafter but it’s not been bad. 

If Ramsey gets a new contract, his number will be significantly less than 15M his first year. His last contract hits were 6 and change and 9 and change the first two years. We could probably get Slay and Ramsey both next year for a hit around 20 total. What I’m saying is, regardless of how you feel about it, it’s achievable. 

Anything can happen. 2022 was a ride. I don’t really see it happening again either. But I didn’t see 2022 happening in the first place. Are you just supposed to not try though? We have prime players in their prime. We can’t afford to reset and waste a year or two. The complexities of rosters are too dynamic to waste opportunities. If Howie can make the numbers work, I trust him. 

With our conference there is always a shot to do it young if you draft well. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

With our conference there is always a shot to do it young if you draft well. 

Of course drafting well helps. Its not some revelation. Team rise and fall every year. LA and TB took nose dives. Lions could assume the North now. Seattle came out of nowhere. Maybe theyre legit. I agree it’s not strong but you can’t tell who makes leaps and who’s going to regress yearly. Are we some assumed perennial NFCE champs for the next 5 years? I’d like to think so but we came out of nowhere too. You can’t just draft and expect to be fine. Nobody’s that good. You need to be good at perusing the FA market and getting cheap vets to plug holes. And know when to go big and get guys that become available. A good mix of all that is necessary.