The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I wouldn't put it on him, but how many times have you heard me talk about second half scoring was gonna catch up and bite them eventually.  I specifically referenced the Chiefs, and at some point you are just gonna have to outscore a team in the second half to win.

KC could have gone 4 straight TD's in the second half.

Eagles went FG, Punt, TD and end of game.

They had a 10 point lead to start the second half, once KC scored a TD, you know you need a TD, not a FG.

Once KC takes the lead, you know you have to score, and need to score a TD not punt.

If you keep putting KC down by 10, they can not win the game.

Special teams and Gannon lost that game.  Plain and simple.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I wouldn't put it on him, but how many times have you heard me talk about second half scoring was gonna catch up and bite them eventually.  I specifically referenced the Chiefs, and at some point you are just gonna have to outscore a team in the second half to win.

KC could have gone 4 straight TD's in the second half.

Eagles went FG, Punt, TD and end of game.

They had a 10 point lead to start the second half, once KC scored a TD, you know you need a TD, not a FG.

Once KC takes the lead, you know you have to score, and need to score a TD not punt.

If you keep putting KC down by 10, they can not win the game.

I'd agree with you had that same offense and QB specifically not put up 35pts in a SB. 

The only singular complaint any Eagle fan should ever have about Jalen and our offenses in that SB, was his FB for a DTD. That's it!

You put up 35pts in a SB on offense you should win if your Top 3 Defense has any semblance of a competent game. They Sucked and got completely out coached in the 2nd 1/2! They lost the SB, not the other way around. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

Special teams and Gannon lost that game.  Plain and simple.  

Agreed, but my point still stands.  You scored 24 first half points.  17 second half points wins the game.

Gotta just outscore a team sometimes, just like Nick Foles did.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'd agree with you had that same offense and QB specifically not put up 35pts in a SB. 

The only singular complaint any Eagle fan should ever have about Jalen and our offenses in that SB, was his FB for a DTD. That's it!

You put up 35pts in a SB on offense you should win if your Top 3 Defense has any semblance of a competent game. They Sucked and got completelyout coachedin the 2nd 1/2! They lost the SB, not the other way around. 

Eagles 2017 defense was ranked as highly as the 2022 defense.

Nick Foles kept scoring and took their failure that day out of the equation.

Not exactly fair to compare our situation to the team with the best QB in the league. Mahomes can work with just about anyone and succeed. Howie uses the cap and it’s rules in his favor. He can squeeze otherwise unaffordable contacts in that way. And since the league is an infinite line of time, he can continue to use dead cap as a tool. That money is never due in totality. I made a post about it. Don’t feel like rehashing but it’s an actual thing. It’s not him being irresponsible or paying for the year on a credit card. It’s him using the rules to his benefit. Obviously it has its limits and exceptions. But it’s a valid and an allowable way to field a competitive team when you may have some lean years due to a multitude of issues. Or you think you can make a certain push in certain years. It’s really just the price to pay for flexibility. Which is something he can handle and seemingly other GMs can’t. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

His MO of dead cap and 1 year mercenaries is not a recipe for sustained success.

Might not be but It's led to 2 SB appearances in the past 5 years, winning 1 easily could of been both.  

I'll take that method and result all day every day over being a ......Texan, Brown, Jet, Jag, Falcon and a dozen more Franchise approaches to winning. 

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Thank you.

If you don't have the dead cap issue last year, and knew it was an issue this year, you can sign Bradberry to a multi year deal.  You can sign CJGJ to a new deal right after you trade for him.

His MO of dead cap and 1 year mercenaries is not a recipe for sustained success.

It’s chicken and egg. The only reason we had the opportunity to get as far as we did was because of dead cap. It’s the cost of a complete turnaround from a disaster of a franchise QB that was Wentz. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Agreed, but my point still stands.  You scored 24 first half points.  17 second half points wins the game.

Gotta just outscore a team sometimes, just like Nick Foles did.

They scored 30+ points with no help from the defense or ST, that’s pretty damn good.   As far as Foles, Brady outplayed Foles. Rest of the Eagles made more plays than the Pats.  

16 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

Yeah, the “trust Howie” crew isn’t a reliable bunch.  Sorry.  

Unfortunate but it’s because he retired. Not exactly something you can foresee. You play with fire a bit doing business like Howie but thems the breaks. Can you honestly complain about the results? 

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Eagles 2017 defense was ranked as highly as the 2022 defense.

Nick Foles kept scoring and took their failure that day out of the equation.

Imagine if the 2022 defense got a strip sack fumble on that last KC drive instead of giving up a TD and killing the clock!

What then? 👌

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Imagine if the 2022 defense got a strip sack fumble on that last KC drive instead of giving up a TD and killing the clock!

What then? 👌

Imagine if the 2022 offense kept the pressure on by continuing to score, and having the opponent forced to go pass only where a mistake could be forced.

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Imagine if the 2022 offense kept the pressure on by continuing to score, and having the opponent forced to go pass only where a mistake could be forced.

You mean like on the play where Pat scrambled 26yds on that last game winning drive? Gotcha.

Numerous opportunities on defense to get stops, force punts and TO's taking points off the board and giving extra possessions to Hurts were there for the taking. We did nothing Defensively in the 2nd 1/2 to win a SB.

Blaming the offense and not our defense that had (Zero Sacks, Zero TO) is absurd. Blaming Hurts, you obviously have a agenda or bias towards the player. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

We’re arguing about being one play away from winning two SBs in 5 years and in the same thread complaining about Howie’s ability to construct a roster. Either some of you are really young or off-season fatigue has already set in.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You mean like on the play where Pat scrambled 26yds on that last game winning drive? Gotcha.

Numerous opportunities on defense to get stops, force punts and TO's taking points off the board and giving extra possessions to Hurts were there for the taking. We did nothing Defensively in the 2nd 1/2 to win a SB.

Blaming the offense and not our defense that had (Zero Sacks, Zero TO) is absurd. Blaming Hurts, you obviously have a agenda or bias towards the player. 

As my first post said, I am not blaming Hurts.

But, there is games where you just have to outscore the opponent, just as Nick Foles did when his defense could not get a stop.