The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Yes. Howie can't sustain success. It's why we have been to the playoffs 6 of the past 7 years with 6 wins in the playoffs, two NFC championships, and one SB victory. Surely Howie has NO IDEA how to sustain success. None at all!

Like I said, some of you will never ever be happy. It just is what it is.

Spoiler

Just because you love the eagles doesn't mean you can't criticize obvious issues. Losing half your defense, having Mahomes like money as dead cap, low cap numbers, and having to pay for a "franchise" QB who has only one year looking the part isn't the most exciting situation to be in. Our drafting outside the Oline hasn't been the best of late. Many chill on the bench until they are released or traded. 

• Like 1

Just now, Broadway Joe said:

That definitely does not paint the whole picture. You actually believe he is good at maintaining success? Serious question. 

Because people in here seem to go by season in their opinions, now I'm seeing he is not a bad drafter. 

I go by reality. Not narratives. Clearly, Howie knows how to succeed over long periods of time in the NFL. He has literally done it. Anyone arguing otherwise is lying. Reality is Howie isn't a "bad drafter". The proof of that is that he has drafted a lot of good players! The draft definitely isn't his biggest strength, and he has definitely missed on key spots he shouldn't have, but that doesn't mean he is just terrible at managing the draft.

I just don't see a reason to rehash this for the millionth time. You and others who blindly throw crap at Howie will keep doing it forever. It is what it is. You will point to specific bad moves and say "this is why Howie sucks!" while ignoring the big picture and seeing what Howie has actually accomplished. Reality is the Eagles are a top tier organization and our FO is a massive reason that is the case. There is a reason our FO has been poached over and over over the past 5+ years. Other teams want to do what the Eagles have been doing.

2 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Just because you love the eagles doesn't mean you can't criticize obvious issues. Losing half your defense, having Mahomes like money as dead cap, low cap numbers, and having to pay for a "franchise" QB who has only one year looking the part isn't the most exciting situation to be in. Our drafting outside the Oline hasn't been the best of late. Many chill on the bench until they are released or traded. 

I criticize the Eagles all the time. I just do it when it makes sense and is reasonable. I know you new guys don't have history with us, but I was a huge Howie detractor in 2020, and a bigger Hurts detractor last year. I can change my mind though and am open to being incorrect.

Sure, this offseason is looking rough. I wouldn't argue with anyone saying they expect our team to regress. It would basically be impossible not to! I am arguing with the blatant nonsense I see and there just so happens to be quite a bit of it going on right now.

15 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Because some fans dont see the bigger picture. Howie's roster construction is also the biggest reason why we werent a SB contender between those 5 years. We want to be a SB contender for a consistent period of time, but the way Howie constructs his rosters that will never happen. Some of you are happy just to get to the dance after X amount of years, and thats fine. You're used to losing and happy whenever a bone gets thrown your way. 

I say F that. We should strive for greatness every year. We should want our stadium to look like the Lakers and Celtics rafters. The Yankees, the Patriots, the Montreal Canadians or Red Wings, Barcelona, The All Blacks from Rugby.......

I'd say Carson Wentz was the problem for the gap.

We were all wrong about that one.

5 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I criticize the Eagles all the time. I just do it when it makes sense and is reasonable. I know you new guys don't have history with us, but I was a huge Howie detractor in 2020, and a bigger Hurts detractor last year. I can change my mind though and am open to being incorrect.

Sure, this offseason is looking rough. I wouldn't argue with anyone saying they expect our team to regress. It would basically be impossible not to! I am arguing with the blatant nonsense I see and there just so happens to be quite a bit of it going on right now.

I'm asking what is the nonsense? Our situation atm is that we didn't have the money to keep younger talent on their payday, have a huge dead cap that could of kept them, our rookies from last year played very little to build any confidence in them, and we are about to pay someone ridiculous money that will make it 2x as hard to build around them besides the draft. All of this is real

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am sorry but it is comical you are claiming we will be a 10 win team before we can even sign an FA. Will we likely regress? Sure that is fair, but we have no clue what this team will even look like in 2 months.

I get that people love to go full meltdown mode in the offseason. It happens every year. That doesn't mean it makes it any better.

The only person who’s going full meltdown mode is you, getting butt sore over another man’s opinion.  10 wins is a good season. They are going to lose players and they’ll have a 1st place schedule, one more road game this year.  It’s ok, they’re a good team as of now.  Why do you care so much?   You want me to say 11 wins?   Will that make it better?  

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ignore it, since you think it’s blatant nonsense and affects you so much.  

1 minute ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

The only person who’s going full meltdown mode is you, getting butt sore over another man’s opinion.  10 wins is a good season. They are going to lose players and they’ll have a 1st place schedule, one more road game this year.  It’s ok, they’re a good team as of now.  Why do you care so much?   You want me to say 11 wins?   Will that make it better?  

I am "butt sore"? Ok lol.

You're making a prediction on number of wins when you don't know what ours or any other roster in the NFL will look like. If you can't see why I would think that is silly................... I'm just not really sure what to tell you man.

5 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am "butt sore"? Ok lol.

You're making a prediction on number of wins when you don't know what ours or any other roster in the NFL will look like. If you can't see why I would think that is silly................... I'm just not really sure what to tell you man.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll be sure to log your opinion.  

11 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Carson wasnt a problem until 2020, when the roster hit rock bottom.

Yeah, he mailed it in after that big head injury on the dirty hit.  He's never been the same since then.  I just don't see him as someone who lives and breathes football.  Religion, family, hunting, charity.  I just don't see him grinding to get better and win at all costs.  I think he was closer to that in the beginning, but then the injuries took their toll and he didn't work on all the other stuff to improve his game.  He still thinks he can rely on his hero ball, athleticism to make plays in the NFL and that just isn't the case.  Lowie didn't do him any favors with the crap roster he had around him in 2020.  I fear Lowie is going to throw a bunch of bad money at aging players once again and miss on key draft picks once again and this team will take a step back but still be good.  I hope I am wrong....but there's a pattern.  

I'll duck for all of the sensitive homers coming my way, now.  

12 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I'm asking what is the nonsense? Our situation atm is that we didn't have the money to keep younger talent on their payday, have a huge dead cap that could of kept them, our rookies from last year played very little to build any confidence in them, and we are about to pay someone ridiculous money that will make it 2x as hard to build around them besides the draft. All of this is real

I mean I was responding to it on the last page so you can just go read it there and if you disagree feel free to respond to my claims.

And yes. We aren't in the perfect cap situation currently and good players will depart. It sucks and I get it. The "dead cap" stuff is definitely just not relevant at all. Any money we lost this season we can just borrow from the future and more. That is simply how the cap works. I don't see how our rookies not playing a ton last season really matters. I think that we have some guys who can step in and start next year in Jurgens and Dean. That is a good thing not a bad one. Hurts is going to get paid. That is just reality. He deserves the contract and is going to get it. Just how the NFL works now.

If you want to be in your feels that we lost the SB by all means go for it. I definitely still think about it every once in awhile and let out a sigh. It blows. I was in the building and that **** hurt bad. If you want to be pessimistic about our team next season and feel like we will regress I can't argue with you cause that almost certainly will happen.

Basically I can't tell you how you should feel, but I can also point out that just because some of you think the sky will fall... that doesn't mean it actually is lol.