John Fox is still employed

G08

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't care about the FA misses as much because it only impacts our cap. I'm more concerned about whiffing on draft picks.

We are going to heavily rely on free agency this offseason to get out of the toilet and he is less than 50/50 in free agency and has not shown he can land top talent.

This rebuild has been slowed down tremendously by the poor pro personnel decisions of the Bears. 

A huge part of the Rams rebuild was the addition of 3 veteran players that have all been very good for them in Whitworth, Woods, and Watkins. Free agency is a massive part of the turn around the Rams had this season.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

We are going to heavily rely on free agency this offseason to get out of the toilet and he is less than 50/50 in free agency and has not shown he can land top talent.

This rebuild has been slowed down tremendously by the poor pro personnel decisions of the Bears. 

A huge part of the Rams rebuild was the addition of 3 veteran players that have all been very good for them in Whitworth, Woods, and Watkins. Free agency is a massive part of the turn around the Rams had this season.

How can you say that when Pace, repeatedly, has said that he believes in building through the draft?

Pace needs to manage talent evaluation in free agency better and take at least one calculated risk.

In the draft, he has drafted some decent players.  I’m a little torn there, because I’d like to see more home runs, but this team is also awfully coached, so it’s difficult to judge.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Yes and a new coach should help us attract better free agents, wouldn't you agree?  Maybe Pace also makes some changes to his pro personnel department this offseason.

He was that guy in New Orleans but seems to have taken more of a draft development approach with the Bears and leaving his PP guy to handle that side.  Changes could be coming.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

How can you say that when Pace, repeatedly, has said that he believes in building through the draft?

Who cares what he says. Pace does not get the luxury of 10 years to build through the draft. I want to exercise more and lose weight, doesn't mean I can eat a **** diet and expect any results.

Every NFL team needs to build through both sides.

The draft alone is not going to make this an 8-10 win team next year.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Yes and a new coach should help us attract better free agents, wouldn't you agree?  Maybe Pace also makes some changes to his pro personnel department this offseason.

He was that guy in New Orleans but seems to have taken more of a draft development approach with the Bears and leaving his PP guy to handle that side.  Changes could be coming.

I think a new coach should help.

But the pro personnel side needs to be better. The Bears probably need a legit starting WR, CB and possibly a TE or another WR in free agency. They cannot simply rely on 2 premium picks to fill all the holes.

They could spend 1st and 2nd round picks on WR and it would be reasonable, but that leaves OLB, RT, CB with out appropriate resources.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Who cares what he says. Pace does not get the luxury of 10 years to build through the draft. I want to exercise more and lose weight, doesn't mean I can eat a **** diet and expect any results.

Every NFL team needs to build through both sides.

The draft alone is not going to make this an 8-10 win team next year.

Who cares what he says? The owners to whom he had to sell his plan before he decided to take this job.

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

Who cares what he says? The owners to whom he had to sell his plan before he decided to take this job.

Everyone says they want to build through the draft.

Everyone then uses both free agency and the draft to build their teams.

I have doubts George is happy with were the rebuild is. If you believe reports from the beat guys and Gabriel he is apparently furious with how things are going. I doubt that the slow and steady draft approach is still on the table, because it is not working.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Everyone says they want to build through the draft.

Everyone then uses both free agency and the draft to build their teams.

I have doubts George is happy with were the rebuild is. If you believe reports from the beat guys and Gabriel he is apparently furious with how things are going. I doubt that the slow and steady draft approach is still on the table, because it is not working.

Ok, now you're just making things up Windy.

Here's some quotes from McCaskey:

"We're not on any particular timetable that somebody else is wanting to set for us," McCaskey said. 

While acknowledging that progress is not evident in back-to-back records of 6-10 and 3-13, McCaskey senses baby steps in the form of specific roster additions, such as 2016 draft picks Leonard Floyd, Cody Whitehair and Jordan Howard.

"That's what we need to keep doing — keep building through the draft," McCaskey said.

"And one of the things I've been most impressed by with him is the discipline he's shown just as recently as this free-agency period. He didn't want to overpay guys. Too often, I think, you overpay guys who don't come through for you, and then you have a big hole in your salary cap and you're behind the 8-ball."

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

Ok, now you're just making things up Windy.

Here's some quotes from McCaskey:

"We're not on any particular timetable that somebody else is wanting to set for us," McCaskey said. 

While acknowledging that progress is not evident in back-to-back records of 6-10 and 3-13, McCaskey senses baby steps in the form of specific roster additions, such as 2016 draft picks Leonard Floyd, Cody Whitehair and Jordan Howard.

"That's what we need to keep doing — keep building through the draft," McCaskey said.

"And one of the things I've been most impressed by with him is the discipline he's shown just as recently as this free-agency period. He didn't want to overpay guys. Too often, I think, you overpay guys who don't come through for you, and then you have a big hole in your salary cap and you're behind the 8-ball."

Public comments are great, they are also not reflective of what people actually think and do. Those comments were also made when they were expecting improvement now they are staring at another 13 lose season.

Those comments are coach speak. They are what every owner says. Then the loses pile up, the seats end up empty and those public comments lose all power.

Since the Green Bay all reports have been that George is livid with where the Bears are at.

I have no doubts that Pace and George WANT to build through the draft.

But at this point they probably care more about winning games and getting people back into their seats.

The plan of building exclusively through the draft is great, until 36 loses pile up and 50k no shows in a season.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I have no doubts that Pace and George WANT to build through the draft.

But at this point they probably care more about winning games and getting people back into their seats.

The plan of building exclusively through the draft is great, until 36 loses pile up and 50k no shows in a season.

Pace has CONSISTENTLY stressed building through the draft, that takes time Windy, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

Know what happens when your team has **** drafts since the Angelo era? Dearth of talent, which is what is happening right now. Pace slowly has started rebuilding our offense and defense, and I'm of the opinion he's still 2 drafts away from hitting everything. This is the off-season I expect him to make a splash to help out his new head coach.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Pace has CONSISTENTLY stressed building through the draft, that takes time Windy, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

Know what happens when your team has **** drafts since the Angelo era? Dearth of talent, which is what is happening right now. Pace slowly has started rebuilding our offense and defense, and I'm of the opinion he's still 2 drafts away from hitting everything. This is the off-season I expect him to make a splash to help out his new head coach.

That does not mean you can be hot garbage in free agency. If that is the case do not sign anyone and sign UDFA. If you are going to invest in free  agency, which he has done every year, stop being trash at it.

How much time does he get? 

Here is one of my favorite quotes from last offseason

"So we are never going to be in this position again." -- Ryan Pace, January 4, 2017.

Words are meaningless seconds after they are said. They say what people want to hear or what they think in a perfect world.

Archived