Mock Off-Season

J_E_T_$

Cuts

Lawson - not worth the salary with the young bucks behind him.  I was thinking if a DE needy team might give up a 7th round pick to get him(ie Chicago, Houston) to ensure getting a decent DE.  I did not put that in this mock but an idea? +$15.4 mil cap space with cut

D Brown - thanks for the year, congrats on a good career, good luck in retirement. +$5 mil cap space

Corey Davis - I like him, but not worth the cap space, (As seen above with C Lawson)  I was thinking a WR needy team might give up a 7th round pick to get him(ie GB, NYG) to ensure getting a decent big bodied WR.  I did not put that in this mock but an idea? - +$10.5 mil cap space

CJ Uzomah - (post June 1 cut) - output not worth the cap space +$1 mil cap space

Jordan Whitehead - output not worth the cap space - +$7.25 mil cap space

B Mann - We can get equivalent or better late in draft with a cheaper salary- +$1 mil cap space

Trade

Zach Wilson - to New Orleans for a 4th and 5th round pick - I think a QB needy team might take a chance on a previous top 2 pick, I mocked the trade to N.O for the sake of this mock, but I think there might even be a better trade for a 3rd and 5th out there. - costs -$1.8 mil cap hit

During draft, we obtain a mid 7th round rookie pick from Green Bay (who has 4 from round 7/ pick 15 on, so might not mind a trade of 1) for a future 6th round rookie

Re-Structure

CJ Mosley - +$11.9 mil cap space 

L Tomlinson - +$6 mil cap space

Re-Signings

S Rankins - (DT) $6 mil/ 3  yr - I think he is good for our defense, and could not be replaced in draft (i prioritize o-line in draft, so d-line would come late in draft)

Quincy Williams - (LB) $5 mil/ 6 yr - good LB.  I think signing him to a long term contract increases an easy negotiation with BIG Q

K Alexander (LB) $2.5 mil/ 2 yr - played well last year, stop gap until we upgrade LB thru draft, this or next year

S Thomas (DT) $2.5 mil/ 2 year - played ok last year, provides depth at DT

N Sheppard (DT) $2.5 mil/ 1 years - played ok last year, provides depth at DT, see above K Alexander comments

Joe Flacco (QB) $2.5 mil/ 2 yr - yes he is older than some of our coaches, but i thought he played ok in a situation with a bad o-line.  I always want a veteran QB on my team as he acts almost as a extra coach

George Fant - (T) $4 mil/ 2 yr - I like the continuity for our o-line and he is only a insurance policy.  He is most likely our #4 tackle, and yes we could get a cheaper back-up in the late draft rounds, but I like his experience, and he has been ok for us in the past

Isiah Mack - (DT) - ERFA - $940,000/ 1 yr - super cheap depth, equal to a round 7 rookie salary

Bryce Huff - (DE) - RFA - 1st round FA tender $6 mil/ 1 yr - may be the best non-starting DE in all football, i thought i might tender him as a 2nd round, but I think someone would sign him for a second

Jeff Smith - (WR) ROFR FA Tender - $2.6 mil/ 1 yr - WR depth that knows the system, 

Contract Extension

Quinton Williams (DT) - $20 mil/ 5 years - I'm not even trying to understand contract construction, but i have read if we extend him, we gain a couple mil in cap space for this year, but I am not including the projected cap savings for this year in this mock,

Free Agents

Preemptive ramble by me to defend my decision before I get crushed for the QB choice I have made. 

I realize A-A-Ron Rogers is the best QB we could possibly get this year, but giving up #13 in this years draft plus other picks is crazy for a guy that might only play 1 year and if he stays longer is guaranteed over $50 mil per year the 2 years after this.  If he wanted to take a pay cut down to say $35 mil per yr, for 3 years and guarantee he'd play all 3  years, I would choose him, but since we CAN'T guarantee that, I pass.

I realize D. Carr and Jimmy G are probably better QB's at this point, but I don't think they are that much better than my choice and they both would cost on average $35 million with multiple years guaranteed.  My choice as seen below is a above average QB, and the best QB the Jets will have had for some time.  I project him cheaper than the other (2) non Rogers choices, and our GM was in Philly when he played there.  I think he can get us into the playoffs, and with our defense and running game, we would have a chance to win a few playoff games.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carson Wentz (QB) - $25 mil/ 4 yrs - Structure contract for easy out after 2 years, The guy for his career is 155 td/ 66 int, 62%+.  His stats career stats would be better than any Jets QB we ever had, all praise to #12

Julian Love (S) - $8 mil/ 5 years - he's still very young (under 25) he had his break out year, he is projected to have a similar contract to the safety we are cutting (Whitehead), upgrade for less money, that's a win/win.

Jimmy Ward (S) - $8 mil/ 2 years - he was unhappy when SF moved him to slot CB last year, the coaching staff knows him, and he is a HUGE upgrade to our safety position.  With the signing of Love and Ward, we upgrade our only weak links on our Defense.  

ROOKIE DRAFT

13: R1 P13 - OT Paris Johnson - Ohio State - Maybe the best LT in the draft, reminds me of D'Brick Ferguson, should be rock steady for 12 years, and he could play LT or RT if Becton can actually play
43: R2 P12 - C John Michael Schmitz - Minnesota - Best C in the draft, should easily step in and replace McGovern without missing a beat
74: R3 P11 - LB Jack Campbell - Iowa - best LB left at this point in my draft, probably back-up this year and starter next, with the huge salary, CJ will be gone after this year, and Campbell looks the part of an above average LB in the NFL
112: R4 P10 - WR Xavier Hutchinson - Iowa State - Big 6'3, very productive college (254 catches, 2929 yrds, 15 td in 3 yrs) WR to replace C Davis.  On this team he would only have to be the 4th receiving option this year.
115: R4 P13 (FROM NEW ORLEANS IN Z. WILSON TRADE) - C Jarrett Patterson - Notre Dame - Versatile o-lineman who played first 3 years at C and NEVER let up a sack in his college career.  He is depth this year at OG & C, with an eye to be a starter next year at OG after we move on from Tomlinson
145: R5 P9  - DL PJ Mustipher - Penn State - Big bodied DT for depth, great run stopper in college
167: R5 P31 (FROM NEW ORLEANS IN Z. WILSON TRADE)CB Justin Ford - Montana - Big (6'2) CB who had 9 int. as a junior before teams stopped throwing to his side of the field his senior year (2 int).  Adds big size depth to the best CB core in all NFL.  Reminds me of T Wollen in Sea.  Big body, huge smaller school production.
179: R6 P2 - K Chad Ryland - Maryland - Best kicker in college at a 6th round salary, projects as a good NFL starter
234: R7 P15 (obtained in a MOCK draft day trade with Green Bay for a future 6th round pick) - P Adam Korsak - Rutgers - IMO, the best collage punter, at a 7th round rookie salary price.  I know we could probably wait and sign an undrafted rookie P or even (2) to compete, but lets just go get the best and be done with it. 

I think its important to say, I never want to pay more than $1-$1.5 mil each for my kicker and punter.  Unless you get Justin Tucker type, I want kicker on the cheap, and punters never more than a 6th-7th round rookie salary hit.

DEPTH CHART

QB CARSON WENTZ   FLACCO   C STREVELER    
RB B HALL   CARTER   KNIGHT    
FB              
WR G WILSON   MIMMS   M TAYLOR    
WR Z HUTCHINSON   J SMITH   D SPENSER    
WR E MOORE   BERRIOS        
TE CONKLIN   RUCKERT   K YEBOAH    
T  BECTON   FANT   G SENET    
G TOMLINSON   C GLASER        
C MICHAEL-SCHMITZ   J PATTERSON        
G VERA-TUCKER   D SAMIA        
T PARIS JOHNSON   M MITCHELL   ERIC SMITH    

DE FRANKIN-MYERS   M CLEMONS   B ANAE    
DT Q WILLIAMS   PJ MUSTIPHER   N SHEPPARD    
DT RANKINS   S THOMAS   T SMART    
DE J JOHNSON   B HUFF        
LB CJ MOSLEY   K ALEXANDER   CHAZZ SURRATT    
LB Q WILLIAMS   J CAMPBELL   J SHERWOOD    
CB SAUCE G   J FORD   J HARDEE    
CB DJ REED   B HALL   J MORELAND    
CB M CARTER II   B ECHOLS   C JAMES    
S WARD   PARKS   TONY ADAMS    
S J LOVE   A DAVIS   NASIRILDEEN    

LS T HENNESSEY            
K RYLAND            
P KORSAK            

SUMMARY

We get better at QB, o-line, safety and with the return of a healthy (RB) B Hall, better at RB.  Sauce and G Wilson are only going to get better and better the next few years, and with the defense, running game and upgraded QB, we should make the playoffs easily.  

According to my tracking on another website, we would still be $10 mil under the cap after rookie contracts this year in case we need an emergency replacement via trade. 

Our cap space next year after the big Q extension would be in the area of $37 million plus another $25 mil by cutting Mosley and Tomlinson next year, so good shape cap wise.

Hope you enjoyed my mock.

1 hour ago, J_E_T_$ said:

Cuts

Lawson - not worth the salary with the young bucks behind him.  I was thinking if a DE needy team might give up a 7th round pick to get him(ie Chicago, Houston) to ensure getting a decent DE.  I did not put that in this mock but an idea? +$15.4 mil cap space with cut

D Brown - thanks for the year, congrats on a good career, good luck in retirement. +$5 mil cap space

Corey Davis - I like him, but not worth the cap space, (As seen above with C Lawson)  I was thinking a WR needy team might give up a 7th round pick to get him(ie GB, NYG) to ensure getting a decent big bodied WR.  I did not put that in this mock but an idea? - +$10.5 mil cap space

CJ Uzomah - (post June 1 cut) - output not worth the cap space +$1 mil cap space

Jordan Whitehead - output not worth the cap space - +$7.25 mil cap space

B Mann - We can get equivalent or better late in draft with a cheaper salary- +$1 mil cap space

Trade

Zach Wilson - to New Orleans for a 4th and 5th round pick - I think a QB needy team might take a chance on a previous top 2 pick, I mocked the trade to N.O for the sake of this mock, but I think there might even be a better trade for a 3rd and 5th out there. - costs -$1.8 mil cap hit

During draft, we obtain a mid 7th round rookie pick from Green Bay (who has 4 from round 7/ pick 15 on, so might not mind a trade of 1) for a future 6th round rookie

Re-Structure

CJ Mosley - +$11.9 mil cap space 

L Tomlinson - +$6 mil cap space

Re-Signings

S Rankins - (DT) $6 mil/ 3  yr - I think he is good for our defense, and could not be replaced in draft (i prioritize o-line in draft, so d-line would come late in draft)

Quincy Williams - (LB) $5 mil/ 6 yr - good LB.  I think signing him to a long term contract increases an easy negotiation with BIG Q

K Alexander (LB) $2.5 mil/ 2 yr - played well last year, stop gap until we upgrade LB thru draft, this or next year

S Thomas (DT) $2.5 mil/ 2 year - played ok last year, provides depth at DT

N Sheppard (DT) $2.5 mil/ 1 years - played ok last year, provides depth at DT, see above K Alexander comments

Joe Flacco (QB) $2.5 mil/ 2 yr - yes he is older than some of our coaches, but i thought he played ok in a situation with a bad o-line.  I always want a veteran QB on my team as he acts almost as a extra coach

George Fant - (T) $4 mil/ 2 yr - I like the continuity for our o-line and he is only a insurance policy.  He is most likely our #4 tackle, and yes we could get a cheaper back-up in the late draft rounds, but I like his experience, and he has been ok for us in the past

Isiah Mack - (DT) - ERFA - $940,000/ 1 yr - super cheap depth, equal to a round 7 rookie salary

Bryce Huff - (DE) - RFA - 1st round FA tender $6 mil/ 1 yr - may be the best non-starting DE in all football, i thought i might tender him as a 2nd round, but I think someone would sign him for a second

Jeff Smith - (WR) ROFR FA Tender - $2.6 mil/ 1 yr - WR depth that knows the system, 

Contract Extension

Quinton Williams (DT) - $20 mil/ 5 years - I'm not even trying to understand contract construction, but i have read if we extend him, we gain a couple mil in cap space for this year, but I am not including the projected cap savings for this year in this mock,

Free Agents

Preemptive ramble by me to defend my decision before I get crushed for the QB choice I have made. 

I realize A-A-Ron Rogers is the best QB we could possibly get this year, but giving up #13 in this years draft plus other picks is crazy for a guy that might only play 1 year and if he stays longer is guaranteed over $50 mil per year the 2 years after this.  If he wanted to take a pay cut down to say $35 mil per yr, for 3 years and guarantee he'd play all 3  years, I would choose him, but since we CAN'T guarantee that, I pass.

I realize D. Carr and Jimmy G are probably better QB's at this point, but I don't think they are that much better than my choice and they both would cost on average $35 million with multiple years guaranteed.  My choice as seen below is a above average QB, and the best QB the Jets will have had for some time.  I project him cheaper than the other (2) non Rogers choices, and our GM was in Philly when he played there.  I think he can get us into the playoffs, and with our defense and running game, we would have a chance to win a few playoff games.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carson Wentz (QB) - $25 mil/ 4 yrs - Structure contract for easy out after 2 years, The guy for his career is 155 td/ 66 int, 62%+.  His stats career stats would be better than any Jets QB we ever had, all praise to #12

Julian Love (S) - $8 mil/ 5 years - he's still very young (under 25) he had his break out year, he is projected to have a similar contract to the safety we are cutting (Whitehead), upgrade for less money, that's a win/win.

Jimmy Ward (S) - $8 mil/ 2 years - he was unhappy when SF moved him to slot CB last year, the coaching staff knows him, and he is a HUGE upgrade to our safety position.  With the signing of Love and Ward, we upgrade our only weak links on our Defense.  

ROOKIE DRAFT

13: R1 P13 - OT Paris Johnson - Ohio State - Maybe the best LT in the draft, reminds me of D'Brick Ferguson, should be rock steady for 12 years, and he could play LT or RT if Becton can actually play
43: R2 P12 - C John Michael Schmitz - Minnesota - Best C in the draft, should easily step in and replace McGovern without missing a beat
74: R3 P11 - LB Jack Campbell - Iowa - best LB left at this point in my draft, probably back-up this year and starter next, with the huge salary, CJ will be gone after this year, and Campbell looks the part of an above average LB in the NFL
112: R4 P10 - WR Xavier Hutchinson - Iowa State - Big 6'3, very productive college (254 catches, 2929 yrds, 15 td in 3 yrs) WR to replace C Davis.  On this team he would only have to be the 4th receiving option this year.
115: R4 P13 (FROM NEW ORLEANS IN Z. WILSON TRADE) - C Jarrett Patterson - Notre Dame - Versatile o-lineman who played first 3 years at C and NEVER let up a sack in his college career.  He is depth this year at OG & C, with an eye to be a starter next year at OG after we move on from Tomlinson
145: R5 P9  - DL PJ Mustipher - Penn State - Big bodied DT for depth, great run stopper in college
167: R5 P31 (FROM NEW ORLEANS IN Z. WILSON TRADE)CB Justin Ford - Montana - Big (6'2) CB who had 9 int. as a junior before teams stopped throwing to his side of the field his senior year (2 int).  Adds big size depth to the best CB core in all NFL.  Reminds me of T Wollen in Sea.  Big body, huge smaller school production.
179: R6 P2 - K Chad Ryland - Maryland - Best kicker in college at a 6th round salary, projects as a good NFL starter
234: R7 P15 (obtained in a MOCK draft day trade with Green Bay for a future 6th round pick) - P Adam Korsak - Rutgers - IMO, the best collage punter, at a 7th round rookie salary price.  I know we could probably wait and sign an undrafted rookie P or even (2) to compete, but lets just go get the best and be done with it. 

I think its important to say, I never want to pay more than $1-$1.5 mil each for my kicker and punter.  Unless you get Justin Tucker type, I want kicker on the cheap, and punters never more than a 6th-7th round rookie salary hit.

DEPTH CHART

QB CARSON WENTZ   FLACCO   C STREVELER    
RB B HALL   CARTER   KNIGHT    
FB              
WR G WILSON   MIMMS   M TAYLOR    
WR Z HUTCHINSON   J SMITH   D SPENSER    
WR E MOORE   BERRIOS        
TE CONKLIN   RUCKERT   K YEBOAH    
T  BECTON   FANT   G SENET    
G TOMLINSON   C GLASER        
C MICHAEL-SCHMITZ   J PATTERSON        
G VERA-TUCKER   D SAMIA        
T PARIS JOHNSON   M MITCHELL   ERIC SMITH    

DE FRANKIN-MYERS   M CLEMONS   B ANAE    
DT Q WILLIAMS   PJ MUSTIPHER   N SHEPPARD    
DT RANKINS   S THOMAS   T SMART    
DE J JOHNSON   B HUFF        
LB CJ MOSLEY   K ALEXANDER   CHAZZ SURRATT    
LB Q WILLIAMS   J CAMPBELL   J SHERWOOD    
CB SAUCE G   J FORD   J HARDEE    
CB DJ REED   B HALL   J MORELAND    
CB M CARTER II   B ECHOLS   C JAMES    
S WARD   PARKS   TONY ADAMS    
S J LOVE   A DAVIS   NASIRILDEEN    

LS T HENNESSEY            
K RYLAND            
P KORSAK            

SUMMARY

We get better at QB, o-line, safety and with the return of a healthy (RB) B Hall, better at RB.  Sauce and G Wilson are only going to get better and better the next few years, and with the defense, running game and upgraded QB, we should make the playoffs easily.  

According to my tracking on another website, we would still be $10 mil under the cap after rookie contracts this year in case we need an emergency replacement via trade. 

Our cap space next year after the big Q extension would be in the area of $37 million plus another $25 mil by cutting Mosley and Tomlinson next year, so good shape cap wise.

Hope you enjoyed my mock.

OK I give you a A* for your 2023 draft picks, not so sure I would cut Cory Davis.

The only problem is and it is a big one  WHO IS OUR STARTING QB

Wentz?  The man who failed in Indy and failed in Washington.  That is the best we could do in an offseason where getting a starting QB is a priority and Woody is not limiting JD to cost?  God, I hope not.

As for cuts and trades; we are most likely not getting rid of Zach.  Think of him as a rookie that the coaching staff will develop of die trying.  I often take coach speak with a grain of salt, but I believe Saleh on this one.  The Jets are not getting rid of Uzomah.  He is a hell of a blocker on a team devoid of OL talent.  Improve the OL and CJ will provide better passing numbers.  He is going nowhere.  Same with Whitehead.  Put a better FS next to him and he will improve.  Why create another hole that must be filled?

Resignings:  Sheppard has never played OK.  His $ would be better spent on a late round pick or UDFA that will provide the same output with lower $.  Same for Solomon.  Fant?  He had one good year.  Can't play RT and it seems like he is always hurt when we need him most.  Time to move on. 

All in all, an incomplete grade since I have no idea what was written after seeing Flacco's name.  Wentz and Flacco - SMH.  Are you a Patriots fan?

Don't like this at all.

1. NO TO FLACCO!!!! He should not be around this team period

2. Your not wasting 2 picks on a P and K. You have Greg the leg so no on picking a K.

3. After looking at WR are getting and J. Meyers wants Kirk money Davis looks like a good deal and should stay.

4. Your not moving Zach for 2 middle picks. This team will not move him unless a second round pick is involved which they will not get.

5. Gross on Wentz. I want nothing to do with him. Why would the Jets sign him and Flacco?? You want one of them to start?? That would kill all Jet fans

Sorry the only thing I like are your first 3 picks in the draft the rest would make me very mad.