2023 Combine: Offense

LETSGOBROWNIES

Marvin Mims had a really good day the other day

Mims exceeded my expectations with his measurements (5-foot-10 7/8, 183) and still put up an excellent 40 time (4.38 seconds). He impressed with a 39 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-9 broad jump, as well. He seemed to fly a bit under the radar nationally despite playing at Oklahoma, but everyone saw him excel in drills. Mims caught every pass thrown his way. His body control was outstanding and he was one of the few receivers able to make a hairpin turn on comeback routes. Time to watch his stock rise.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-scouting-combine-stock-up-stock-down-day-3-anthony-richardson-takes-fli

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

If we do, Washington might be the guy. All the good WRs will be gone bc the class sucks. Plus with us bringing back Grant, I don’t think we have a spot for another WR.

Cooper/DPJ/Grant/Bell/Schwartz/Woods

Schwartz needs to be cut

it just is what it is fellas

you cant just learn how to be a receiver. He ain’t got it

I need one of 

Zay Flowers, Jalin Hyatt, Marvin Mims, Trey Palmer, or Taylor Darden

Who knows what Grant will be like either after an Achilles. I’m not depending on that. Anything he gives me is extra.

You don’t pay a guy 230 million and not go above and beyond to get him weapons. We could draft a receiver every year the rest of his career. You gotta make sure that room has talent. 

Just now, brownie man said:

Schwartz needs to be cut

it just is what it is fellas

you cant just learn how to be a receiver. He ain’t got it

I need one of 

Zay Flowers, Jalin Hyatt, Marvin Mims, Trey Palmer, or Taylor Darden

Who knows what Grant will be like either after an Achilles. I’m not depending on that. Anything he gives me is extra.

You don’t pay a guy 230 million and not go above and beyond to get him weapons. We could draft a receiver every year the rest of his career. You gotta make sure that room has talent. 

Watson or not we should be drafting a receiver every year tbh 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brownie man said:

You don’t pay a guy 230 million and not go above and beyond to get him weapons.

Isn't that the point of paying him that? That you don't have to be great everywhere on offense for him to be successful? He has a $23 million WR, a $14 million Tight end, The best RB in the game. There is nothing wrong with adding guys but the offense already accounts for $175 million this year, that's a lot of investments already.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Isn't that the point of paying him that? That you don't have to be great everywhere on offense for him to be successful? He has a $23 million WR, a $14 million Tight end, The best RB in the game. There is nothing wrong with adding guys but the offense already accounts for $175 million this year, that's a lot of investments already.

I’m not saying invest cash

but look at the Chiefs. 

Kelce they paid Juju and Marquez, drafted Skyy Moore in the 2nd round just last year! Spent a first on CEH and drafted Hardman in the 2nd round.

Philly spent a first on DeVonta and traded another first for AJ. Drafted Goedert I think 2nd, Sanders went in the 2nd. 

Cincinnati’s offense Chase, Higgins, Mixon.

I could keep going

If you don’t think top teams are spending their top resources to help their QBs you’re just flat out incorrect. 

If anything you’ve got to spend high draft assets because you can’t afford expensive offensive contracts.  Chiefs had to let Tyreek go but you see they come back and take Moore 2nd round. It just is what it is bro gotta surround your QB with talent if you wanna keep up with Mahomes. 

3 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I’m not saying invest cash

but look at the Chiefs. 

Kelce they paid Juju and Marquez, drafted Skyy Moore in the 2nd round just last year! Spent a first on CEH and drafted Hardman in the 2nd round.

Philly spent a first on DeVonta and traded another first for AJ. Drafted Goedert I think 2nd, Sanders went in the 2nd. 

Cincinnati’s offense Chase, Higgins, Mixon.

I could keep going

If you don’t think top teams are spending their top resources to help their QBs you’re just flat out incorrect. 

If anything you’ve got to spend high draft assets because you can’t afford expensive offensive contracts.  Chiefs had to let Tyreek go but you see they come back and take Moore 2nd round. It just is what it is bro gotta surround your QB with talent if you wanna keep up with Mahomes. 

We're spending 55 million more this year than the Chiefs on offense, 75 million more than the Eagles, 75 million more than the Bengals.

We have better weapons than the Chiefs. Kelce is their only threat that is above average at their position.

The Bengals will have to pay to keep Chase, Burrow and Higgins (Mixon won't be worth it as he isn't top tier) but they do have 140 million in cap space next year so they can figure that out while having a cocktail on a beach.

The Eagles have a while before they have to pay Smith and Hurts. Sanders isn't even their best RB, he won't get a second contract. Goedert and Sanders were there well before Hurts.

Those teams also have all been to the SB in the last two years and didn't spend three 1st round picks and then some for their QB just to sign him to a record deal, they all will have better available resources. It isn't Watson's fault but the organization decided that was the best course of action and therefore sacrifices will have to be made.

We spent a lot more on our offense over the last year than any of them have in the last few years so there is no comparison. We just haven't seen any results yet.

But yeah, use a 4th round pick on a WR, nothing wrong with that. You just can't pretend we haven't already done more than every other team in the league to make our offense work with what we are paying and what we paid to get the players.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

We're spending 55 million more this year than the Chiefs on offense, 75 million more than the Eagles, 75 million more than the Bengals.

We have better weapons than the Chiefs. Kelce is their only threat that is above average at their position.

The Bengals will have to pay to keep Chase, Burrow and Higgins (Mixon won't be worth it as he isn't top tier) but they do have 140 million in cap space next year so they can figure that out while having a cocktail on a beach.

The Eagles have a while before they have to pay Smith and Hurts. Sanders isn't even their best RB, he won't get a second contract. Goedert and Sanders were there well before Hurts.

Those teams also have all been to the SB in the last two years and didn't spend three 1st round picks and then some for their QB just to sign him to a record deal, they all will have better available resources. It isn't Watson's fault but the organization decided that was the best course of action and therefore sacrifices will have to be made.

We spent a lot more on our offense over the last year than any of them have in the last few years so there is no comparison. We just haven't seen any results yet.

But yeah, use a 4th round pick on a WR, nothing wrong with that. You just can't pretend we haven't already done more than every other team in the league to make our offense work with what we are paying and what we paid to get the players.

Im specifically talking about the receiver position. 

See I’m on the mindset to stop half assing it with mid round picks on players who are just taking up space. 

Schwartz, David Bell, Michael Woods

we keep spending mid picks on players who aren’t going to be good. 

Where those picks could go towards positions like d line and linebackers who you can actually find good value at in the middle rounds. 

It’s like a leather jacket. Don’t be cheap with a leather jacket or you’ll keep having to get a new one. Buy a quality jacket and have it for years 

Go get a legit receiver even if you have to trade up a little in the second. Go get a premier guy and then use those depth picks to get depth. We keep chasing our tail with these mid round receivers and we’re getting nowhere. Spend a nice 2nd rounder and go get Flowers or Hyatt and the you’ve got the rest of your draft to spend on this deep *** d line class. 

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

Go get a legit receiver even if you have to trade up a little in the second. Go get a premier guy and then use those depth picks to get depth. We keep chasing our tail with these mid round receivers and we’re getting nowhere. Spend a nice 2nd rounder and go get Flowers or Hyatt and the you’ve got the rest of your draft to spend on this deep *** d line class. 

We better not trade up for a WR in this crap class when we have a literal “F” grade at LDE, DT1, DT2, and FS. 

You guys know me, love this time of year!  Guys out here “movin’ up dem damn draft boards”. Guys out cheer makin’ that damned bank”! 

Disclosure: No animals been hurt during this post, literally. Nor literary geniuses trying to make a name for themselves. Stand up media, tell me you sold a click today, please tell me. 

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Nope. Best I can do is Berrios or Scotty Miller in FA

Yeah those dudes do exactly what everyone is wanting from Schwartz or a lot of these draft prospects.  They’re not we good as guys like Hyatt or whatever, but they also don’t cost a top 100 pick.

• Like 1

Ok draft nerds, Jonathan Mingo.  Where’s he projected and what are your thoughts.

THIS is the type of WR we need from a size and physical attribute perspective, but can he play?  I watched some highlights (the extent of my willingness to “scout”) and saw a lot of plays of him getting open and making plays deep as well as making some tough contested catches.  Everything else looked like screens, not a lot on the intermediate area or across the middle.

Thoughts?