The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

6 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Speculation that the 2 minor leaguers are INF/OF Yairo Munoz and  2B Max Schrock. 

Good for Stephen and this organization. Looks good from a PR standpoint for us, as we essentially gave him away for cap relief. Not like we could of held onto him either...

Neither prospect excites me...

6 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So apparently the Whitesox have made the best offer for Machado....how does that make any sense?

Only thing I can think of is that they know they have no shot to woo in in FA after the season, so trade for him now, give him a year to show him the city, the young talent, etc. They have to offer and build some relationship with him...

He'd still be a long shot to resign, but they'd have a better opportunity to convince him...

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like the look of Munoz. He seems like an intriguing player. 

Yeah, Munoz is the better of the two prospects.  Munoz ranked 13th according to MLB.com  and 16th according to FanGraphs although I think FanGraphs was from last year.  Seems that his future lies at third base, which is a positional weakness of the Cardinals.  Strong arm should make him a good defender there.  Solid swing, with projection for power seems like a pretty good gamble to make.  Schrock is an all-hit 2B with limited defensive abilities and no power.  Probably nothing more than trade fodder with Kolten Wong already under contract.

18 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Good for Stephen and this organization. Looks good from a PR standpoint for us, as we essentially gave him away for cap relief. Not like we could of held onto him either...

Neither prospect excites me...

We weren't going to get any world beaters for Piscotty given the season he had, but they're not bad prospects.  Honestly, I probably would have asked for an arm instead of Schrock.  I wonder if they were willing to deal Dakota Chalmers.  Sounds like there might be a hang up with one of the players medicals.

St. Louis Cardinals‏Verified account @Cardinals 6m6 minutes ago

The #STLCards made two selections in the Triple-A phase of today’s Rule 5 draft: OF Angel Moreno (1st round, Rays) and OF Jean Selmo (2nd round, D-backs).

More outfielders?  Strange...

Edited by tttmikeb

29 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yeah, Munoz is the better of the two prospects.  Munoz ranked 13th according to MLB.com  and 16th according to FanGraphs although I think FanGraphs was from last year.  Seems that his future lies at third base, which is a positional weakness of the Cardinals.  Strong arm should make him a good defender there.  Solid swing, with projection for power seems like a pretty good gamble to make.  Schrock is an all-hit 2B with limited defensive abilities and no power.  Probably nothing more than trade fodder with Kolten Wong already under contract.

I was thinking the same about him sticking at third. He's got a frame that could add weight plus a cannon arm. Hopefully he sees an uptick in power once his body matures. He could be a nice player for us fairly soon.

Looking at our OF depth, you've got Ozuna, Pham, and Fowler in the big league OF.  Jose Martinez likely gets one of the backup OF spots, and PT at 1B.  That means Grichuk for now is our 5th OF, and backup CF.  That probably becomes Harrison Bader sooner rather than later.  Memphis likely has Adolis Garcia and Tyler O'Neill as their two corner OFers.  Sierra was slotted to be there IMO, but this frees up Oscar Mercado to make that jump.

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

I was thinking the same about him sticking at third. He's got a frame that could add weight plus a cannon arm. Hopefully he sees an uptick in power once his body matures. He could be a nice player for us fairly soon.

Yeah, not a bad gamble to make.  Has a plus arm, and plays a passable defense at SS which means he should be better at third.  If that power he showed in AA is real, this prospect looks a lot more appealing.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Sounds like we should get some news about a Colome trade at some point today.

Maybe that's why we took 2 OF in the Rule 5 draft?  Used our picks for someone else, aka Tampa Bay?  Well, at least one of them.  Moreno came from Tampa, so that wouldn't make sense.  Ugh, I'm so confused.

Edited by tttmikeb

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?