The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

13 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Better not wait too long though, as Colome is a hot target too.

No doubt.  But it's not like he's their only target.  They could go after Wade Davis or Greg Holland, not saying it's ideal but they're also possibilities as well.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No doubt.  But it's not like he's their only target.  They could go after Wade Davis or Greg Holland, not saying it's ideal but they're also possibilities as well.

Thing about the Rays deal from I've heard, is it could evolve into a 'one stop trade' if need be and we were willing to part w/ some pieces.

Reports say that Colome, Longoria, Archer/Odorizzi could all be in play if we wanted to expand talks.

I just don't want that deal to go by the wayside, as I think it sets us up better long-term than 1 year of Machado/Donaldson...

The Cardinals no longer can offer pitcher Sandy Alcantara, one of the prospects that the Orioles desired, because he was included in the package that went to the Marlins for outfielder Marcell Ozuna. The Orioles want pitcher Jordan Hicks, a right-hander with a fastball that approaches 100 mph, according to a source.

Cardinals catcher Carson Kelly could be included in a deal for Machado. His name has been discussed. But again, nothing is imminent.

That would be an interesting, although that's a pretty hefty price to make.  I'd have to imagine that they would only give that package if they got a negotiation window.

Yeah, with everything seemingly pointing to Machado testing free agency (and likely heading to the Yankees), it's really not a worthwhile investment for us. Not for what we're hearing at this point, anyway. And I really don't see the Orioles letting him go for a price that would make sense for us. 

13 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

Yeah, with everything seemingly pointing to Machado testing free agency (and likely heading to the Yankees), it's really not a worthwhile investment for us. Not for what we're hearing at this point, anyway. And I really don't see the Orioles letting him go for a price that would make sense for us. 

Sounds like the Orioles like Luke Weaver, Jack Flaherty, Jordan Hicks, and Carson Kelly.  Although, reading between the lines it isn't too hard to figure out how the talks went.  The Cardinals probably expressed interest in Machado and asked who the Orioles would want in return.  The Orioles mentioned those players, and the Cardinals asked for a negotiation window if they were going to give up those players.  The Orioles would obviously say no, which pretty much ended up all discussions there.  Don't see the Cardinals be willing to move any of those prospects without a negotiation window.  Have to imagine that a Donaldson trade is far more likely.

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

mlb.com's rankings of Jordan Hicks and Andrew Knizner are hilarious. 

Jordan Hicks' ranking isn't awful.  I'd have him a bit higher, but he's not this overwhelming prospect...yet.  I think he's ready for a breakout year next year.  I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed him to Springfield next year.  As for Knizner, I understand the hesitation to get behind him given the fact that his tools are limited and he's a bit of an overachiever in that sense.  He's probably in that 12-18 range.

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Seems like a Rays trade is on hold as they pursue other opportunities.

Ive been saying, we are trying to land the bigger fish at 3B (or SS in Machado's case) and when those break down we will shift the Rays talk into gear.

I actually would imagine we already have a deal for just Colome on the table. Another framework of Colome + Longoria, and then some exploratory talks about what it would take to add Archer or Odorizzi into those deals. I know Longoria doesnt really tickle the fancy of many around here, but I think he would become an impact player for this team. It would be a legit answer at 3B (instead of hoping Jedd has another career type year) and I also think it is more likely that we would see something closer to '16 Longoria than not, being inserted to a much more capable lineup (now with Ozuna) than the middling Rays order.

Trust me, I would rather have Luke Donaldson (as I think we would have a high likelihood of resigning him if he gets here for the year) but it doesnt seem like the Jays are ready to play ball, which I just dont understand with how far behind the Redsox and especially the Yankees they are. And I still say that Machado was always a pipe dream, and he wont be moved for anything near the asking price that the O's have. (they would be lucky to get half of what they seem to be asking from us for just one year of Machado who is already eyeing up Free Agency)

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?