The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

58 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Hes on the roster, but he wanted to be a Reliever this year

I was kind of confused about what you meant. It took me awhile to realize you weren't talking about Reyes lol

Well, even though I am a hopeless optimist, even I can't be optimistic about Martinez and Reyes. Though it would be cool if both get it figured out.

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I was kind of confused about what you meant. It took me awhile to realize you weren't talking about Reyes lol

Well, even though I am a hopeless optimist, even I can't be optimistic about Martinez and Reyes. Though it would be cool if both get it figured out.

Ha, sorry for the vagueness. I have completely written off any hope of Reyes for all of 2020. Just rehab and see if he can get right for 2021

Carlos should be one of our starters, so with 4 rotation slots filled (Jack, Dakota, Miles) the question is; Do you think Carlos is a co-ace type still or not? Because that steers us toward what we need to add as the 5th member of the rotation. We sure are paying him to be one of those co-ace types

56 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ha, sorry for the vagueness. I have completely written off any hope of Reyes for all of 2020. Just rehab and see if he can get right for 2021

Carlos should be one of our starters, so with 4 rotation slots filled (Jack, Dakota, Miles) the question is; Do you think Carlos is a co-ace type still or not? Because that steers us toward what we need to add as the 5th member of the rotation. We sure are paying him to be one of those co-ace types

Carlos isn't being paid at a co-ace level. He's at $11.5 million and not even inside the top 30 for SP salary per sportrac...

We're paying Mikolas more than him...

Carlos salary reflect more of what 3-4 type rotation guy would command...

26 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Carlos isn't being paid at a co-ace level. He's at $11.5 million and not even inside the top 30 for SP salary per sportrac...

We're paying Mikolas more than him...

Carlos salary reflect more of what 3-4 type rotation guy would command...

A few things here;

Carlos signed his extension before the 2017 season, so comparing that to what guys are being paid today is not apples to apples. He will have gotten the $11.5m number for 4 years straight in order to help out our payroll these most recent seasons

It was also part of an avoided Arbitration for that season and the next few going forward. Which we spread out years 2-5 of that extension evenly after the low salary we had budgeted for him that season. If we were to use the typical escalators that most of those type of Arbitration absorbing contracts have, he would be scheduled to make around $16.5m 

His $51m was also more total dollars than any Starting Pitcher that hit free agency that offseason as Rich Hill only got $48m total, and only Hill and Bartolo Colon (who had a 1 year deal) had higher AAV than Carlos. When looking into who got extensions that offseason, Danny Duffy is the only one to get more than Carlos, and he was hitting Free Agency, so no Arbitration years to take into consideration.

And he also has 2 likely to be picked up Options for 2020 and 2021 at $17 and $18m. Which would actually make this a 7 year $86m contract. And a true AAV of about $12.3m. So in the 5th year of a heavily Arbitration weighted deal, on an AAV measurement, he would be a Top 30-ish highest paid Starting Pitcher (#28 between James Paxton and Marcus Stroman, but cant be fore sure because I dont know everyones contracts with more options on them). And what hsi pro-rated contract I mentioned before, his potential 2020 salary would have put him in the Top 20--ish (ahead of Mikolas) and that $86m total number puts him somewhere in the Top 15-ish ahead of the Mike Leake contract the Cardinal Handed out

. . . Pretty sure thats being paid like a Co-Ace in a league with 30 teams

Seems to be a whole lot of smoke around Moustakas to the Cardinals.

Its mostly the local writers talking about it as an option at this point, but if you know anything about the Sports Journalism around St. Louis, they hardly have an original thought. It all usually stems from something they were all told.

If he is our target, it sure would be nice to have that extra $18m that we are handing to a 3B that cant hit

18 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Seems to be a whole lot of smoke around Moustakas to the Cardinals.

Its mostly the local writers talking about it as an option at this point, but if you know anything about the Sports Journalism around St. Louis, they hardly have an original thought. It all usually stems from something they were all told.

If he is our target, it sure would be nice to have that extra $18m that we are handing to a 3B that cant hit

I wonder what we do with Carpenter/Edman if we sign Moose? I'd love to have his pop in the lineup. Goldy and Moose with maybe Ozuna/O'Neil/Someone else. Good heart of the order. 

42 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder what we do with Carpenter/Edman if we sign Moose? I'd love to have his pop in the lineup. Goldy and Moose with maybe Ozuna/O'Neil/Someone else. Good heart of the order. 

As nice as the Pop of a Goldy/Moose/Ozuna heart of the order sounds, it will never happen because of the stupid contracts we gave out

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

As nice as the Pop of a Goldy/Moose/Ozuna heart of the order sounds, it will never happen because of the stupid contracts we gave out

Yeah, you're right. We need to find a way out of the contracts of Dex and Carp. I don't think it's possible, though. At least Dex.