The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Besides Carpenter being on the team, which was obvious. There’s really not a lot to complain about with the 26-man roster. Kind of surprised to see Thomas not make it. Excited to see Williams get a fair shot. 

Rondon should have been on this squad over Sosa, but not a big deal. He'll be up at some point. I'm not sure Sosa was worth protecting and not running the risk of exposing him to waivers. I think we know what he is already...

On 3/29/2021 at 11:11 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Rondon should have been on this squad over Sosa, but not a big deal. He'll be up at some point. I'm not sure Sosa was worth protecting and not running the risk of exposing him to waivers. I think we know what he is already...

But with Carp locked in, Rondon doesnt really have a spot, atleast sosa can provide backup support elsewhere that we dont really have from anyone else

8 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

But with Carp locked in, Rondon doesnt really have a spot, atleast sosa can provide backup support elsewhere that we dont really have from anyone else

Rondon has played major league games at SS, OF, 3B, 2B and 1B. He's probably not as good as Sosa defensively, but it's not a major drop off either. He's been about league average defender at SS and slightly better on the other infield spots.

His bat is better than Sosa's and he exceeded expectations in ST. Just a shame he couldn't get the nod, as he deserved it, but I get it. Cards wanted to keep Sosa from getting exposed to waivers.

Rondon will be up at some point though. I think his versatility and bench bat play on this team.

Maybe its just an opening day thing, but as I threw out there, Yadi is hitting 6th.

1. Edman - 2B
  2. Goldschmidt - 1B
  3. Arenado - 3B
  4. DeJong - SS
  5. O'Neill - LF
  6. Molina - C
  7. Carlson - CF
  8. Williams -RF
  9. Flaherty - P

Really feels like its going to throw a wrench in this entire lineup construction

Not gonna overreact, as pitching staff as a whole got pretty much torched. I'd actually have been more concerned if it was just a few guys getting lit up over the 3 days. The weather was cold and most of these guys are still in ST mode. It seemed to be a theme across MLB, not just the Cards. 

I'm still optimistic this staff can piece good starts together until KK and Mikolas get back. 

Great to get the sweep after a rough series against the Reds. This lineup strikes out way too much. Carlson should not be batting as low as he does and Carpenter shouldn’t even be on the team let alone batting 5th.... Also can we just end the O’Neil experiment already. Dude is hot garbage. Nice to see Flaherty bounce back this game after his rough first start. Hopefully he can continue this because he needs to be a true ACE with this current rotation.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?