The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

22 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Hahaha wow of course. I’m still convinced of it, and while I get the move, I still don’t get it at the same time

I'm kind of with you on this. I mean at this point in his deal, why not just play it out? If ever there was a time to bet on a guy rebounding it would be in a contract year...

Not like the salary relief is anything more than pocket change and you can't bank on a PTBNL being anything of significance...

I get thought though of freeing up the clear playing path though for the young guys and potentially jabomh the roster spot open on the 40 man if needed for something else...

13 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I get thought though of freeing up the clear playing path though for the young guys and potentially jabomh the roster spot open on the 40 man if needed for something else...

Yea but you can do that at any time in the season. If Fowler is going to have that “bounce back/contract” season, he’s going to come out of the gate doing it. So if he doesn’t in the first month or so, then just cut him, and move on with the Young guys. It would basically cost you the same as this move, and its not like were hurting for 40-man spots at this point.

35 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm kind of with you on this. I mean at this point in his deal, why not just play it out? If ever there was a time to bet on a guy rebounding it would be in a contract year...

Not like the salary relief is anything more than pocket change and you can't bank on a PTBNL being anything of significance...

I think it was doing right by Fowler.  I think they made it very clear to him that they were going to play the young guys in the OF, and his PT was going to be limited.  And I think they asked him where he would be willing to go.  He's going to LA to play with Maddon again.  I think it's a similar situation to when the Cardinals dealt Piscotty to the A's.  The Cardinals value the image that the Cardinals do right by their players.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think it's a similar situation to when the Cardinals dealt Piscotty to the A's.

Nothing is like moving Piscotty to the A’s

its not like it’s gonna bother me in the long run, just seems like you could have done that in May if he doesn’t start the season hot. Especially since we aren’t getting anything for him, not even salary relief. 

either way, I don’t think this signals the opening in the OF that some are foolishly hoping it is. (O’Neill - Bader - Carlson) has to be the plan to start and if one struggles we have a few more young bats to rotate in until someone seizes the spot. Almost any trio we throw out there is going to be pretty similar defensively 

9 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Nothing is like moving Piscotty to the A’s

its not like it’s gonna bother me in the long run, just seems like you could have done that in May if he doesn’t start the season hot. Especially since we aren’t getting anything for him, not even salary relief. 

either way, I don’t think this signals the opening in the OF that some are foolishly hoping it is. (O’Neill - Bader - Carlson) has to be the plan to start and if one struggles we have a few more young bats to rotate in until someone seizes the spot. Almost any trio we throw out there is going to be pretty similar defensively 

Do you think they could have moved him to another team for more value?  Or did they purposely move him to a team close to his mom?  It's in the same vein.  Not at that level, but they're clearly making the move to make sure the player they're dealing is happy with the move.

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Do you think they could have moved him to another team for more value?  Or did they purposely move him to a team close to his mom?  It's in the same vein.  Not at that level, but they're clearly making the move to make sure the player they're dealing is happy with the move.

My point with Piscotty is that is a situation that you can never really compare anything with. The Cards have gotten a lot of credit for doing it, but honestly I think most franchises would have done the same. The situation with his mom is what makes the return irrelevant. 

Im saying that this Fowler move is nothing close to that. And the fact that we actually get next to nothing in return here, is why I don’t feel we need to do it this way. Fowler is a nice guy, actually a better guy than he has been a player for us, it’s not like he’s won us a WS or he’s a Cardinal legend, so he’s not really owed anything. It’s fine they did it this way, but that doesn’t mean everyone has to like it. And I suspect that if he is hitting .290 on June 1st and looks like he’s going to cash in again, a lot of people will be complaining. Especially if our young OF is struggling and hitting in the 6-7-8 holes

6 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Yadi officially back. 1 year for $9 million. Great deal.

Getting Yadi and Waino back for 1 year each and under $20 million combined is fantastic .

I’ll almost never be mad at a one year deal, it’s basically all upside. 

There was just no way you could justify giving either of them multiple years at this point. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 8:46 PM, StLunatic88 said:

I’ll almost never be mad at a one year deal, it’s basically all upside. 

There was just no way you could justify giving either of them multiple years at this point. 

Agreed and I think the Cardinals finally grew a backbone with Yadi and made a statement to him by holding strong to the 1 year deal offer. He was looking for 2 years and probably expected them to cave on this... 

• Like 1

Would you guys have traded Tyler O'Neill for Andrew Benintendi straight up? That's essentially what happened in this three team trade. The Red Sox are also covering $2.8M of his $6.6M 2021 salary.

Just curious to see what everyone's thoughts were here with this hypothetical. I've always liked Benintendi and I know he had been linked with the Cardinals in the past. He's also that LH OF bat.

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Would you guys have traded Tyler O'Neill for Andrew Benintendi straight up? That's essentially what happened in this three team trade. The Red Sox are also covering $2.8M of his $6.6M 2021 salary.

Just curious to see what everyone's thoughts were here with this hypothetical. I've always liked Benintendi and I know he had been linked with the Cardinals in the past. He's also that LH OF bat.

Yup. 

23 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Absolutely.  And it's not because I think Benintendi is anything special.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?