The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

18 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I haven’t gotten to watch many full games this year(not that if be able to tell what’s up if I had) but what’s going on with Mikolas? What’s he doing that he wasn’t last year?

Don't believe it's anything with his stuff. Biggest issue I've noticed is his command on counts he's ahead. He makes a lot of mistakes with 2 strike counts...

7 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Time to make some changes? How hot is Moe’s seat right now? Mike Maddux’s Seat has to be hot. 

I want an ace. And I’m not confident in Moe to go get one. 

0% hot for Mo at this point. If we miss playoffs, he'll start to get some heat. Even then, this ownership is loyal and will give him a few more years to right the ship with his track record...

Right or wrong.. 

• Like 1

I think the Carp extension was one of the worst moves by Mo. He was already under contract next year. He’s been regressing. His defense is average at best. Had it not been for two salsa fueled months last year, he’s a guy that hit .210 with like 20 HR, plays bad defense, doesn’t get on base as much as he used to. Now he’s the same non salsa player as last year, except playing a more premium defensive position, except now we’re stuck with him until 2022. He can’t even transition into a super-sub kind of guy later because of how bad his arm is. 

On 6/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I think the Carp extension was one of the worst moves by Mo. He was already under contract next year. He’s been regressing. His defense is average at best. Had it not been for two salsa fueled months last year, he’s a guy that hit .210 with like 20 HR, plays bad defense, doesn’t get on base as much as he used to. Now he’s the same non salsa player as last year, except playing a more premium defensive position, except now we’re stuck with him until 2022. He can’t even transition into a super-sub kind of guy later because of how bad his arm is. 

I don’t really have any issues with Mo signing Carpenter to that extension. Carp gets a lot of hate from St. Louis fans and I’ve never really understood why. He’s been getting pretty unlucky this year, and I’m expecting a big 2nd half from him. He’s still hitting the ball hard and his soft contact% is one of the lowest in baseball. 

He’ll never be the 7.2 WAR player the cardinals got in 2013, but he’s been consistently a 3-4+ WAR player. And if you believe in the obvious age regression of a player and Carp becomes a 2-2.5 WAR player through 2021, that’s honestly still a pretty satisfying deal. I read an article, I believe It was last year or maybe it was when I was Trying to figure out what Goldy was likely to get.....the article said that 1 WAR = $8 million. 

Hopefully the DH comes over in 2021 and he can do that for the club while Gorman is crushing it at Third. 

• Like 1

“Looking at the lineup and player usage is something that we have to consider,” he said. “Going down this current path certainly hasn’t led us to the success we’d like to see, so change is something you’d have to consider.”

Mo in a recent article where he was talking about his disappointment in the offense so far. 

I don’t think the problem with this team is the offense, i think it’s the pitching. Mainly the Starting pitching. Coming in to the year you had to expect Flaherty and Hudson to take some lumps throughout the season, so it was crucial, especially in the first half of the season for guys like Wacha to stay healthy and pitch like he did last year pre-injury and Mikolas to continue off a great 2018. Instead, you have Wacha who’s been nothing but garbage this season (Not gonna give him credit for beating up on the Marlins) and Mikolas looks more like a #4 than he does the ace of the staff. 

I hate the the fact that our most talented starter is in the Bullpen and that Waino is wasting away a roster spot that could be filled by 3 different guys that would do a better job. One of them being Ryan Helsley, which the front office is being complete morons with and letting him waste away in the BP. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

Ill be honest, with the Blues making their run, I have not paid as much attention to the cards as I usually do at this point. But what I have seen when able to watch, this feels like another boring team. Like more of last year with a new front man (Goldy). 

A few more signings...

Looks like the money we saved from Zack Thompson (359k) went towards paying Fletcher.  Looks like we have an extra 200k to play around with right now.  We can probably save a bit more money with Jack Ralston whose a senior sign, so you're probably looking at another 150k to play with at least.  Means we can throw as much as 500k at someone in the later rounds.  75k goes against the bonus pool because of Romeri.  So we're looking at roughly 400k.  Maybe can throw a decent bonus at Tyler Statler.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?