The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

11 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

As if things couldn’t get any worse....Marcell Ozuna is headed to the IL with what I’m guessing is a sprained or broken finger. He jammed his fingers diving back to the 1st base bag. 

Looks like Tyler O’Neil is going to be called up. Such a blah call up for me, I guess I’m excited and hopeful that he gets some lengthy playing time so we can actually see if O’Neil is part of the future plans. Not expecting much though. Kinda thinking he hits like .220 with a K-rate around 35-40%. 

Would rather call up Dylan Carlson or Randy Arozarena. I think Carlson is the best OF prospect we have and think he’s light years ahead of O’Neil as far as pitch recognition. And I’m a big fan of Randy. I think his speed and his flair could rejuvenate this offense. 

But go Tyler O’Neil....

You never know, he could catch fire and go on an O'Neil homer fest. He does that sometimes. I'm hoping he tears the cover off the ball and we trade him at the deadline tbh.

Granted he'll probably still run a K-rate of 25-35%.

Edited by MOSteelers56

4 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

This team sucks....

I don’t really understand how we’ve been this bad. We’ve scored 86 runs this month....worst in the NL by a pretty wide margin. Giants are 2nd worst with 108 runs scored. 

I honestly dont watch the games like I used To, like....I’d legit rather watch Paw Patrol or The Grinch for the 100th time with my 3 year old than watch this boring team. 

5 hours ago, JonStark said:

We need to make a move.

Something to give this team a boost. 

Any ideas? 

This team needs Goldy and Carp to hit like they’re capable of. We’re 41-42 because both of these guys are hitting like garbage. It’s hard to be a successful team when the two guys you were leaning on the most aren’t hitting. 

They also need to cut the BS and move Carlos to the rotation 

And call up Randy and bench Bader for a good while. 

As far as trades go...I like Marcus Stroman anf Matt Boyd, especially if they’re determined to leave Carlos in the pen. Don’t really think there’s going to be a bat out there that completely changes the look of this lineup....and it’s not like it’s a bad lineup. 

6 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

This team needs Goldy and Carp to hit like they’re capable of. We’re 41-42 because both of these guys are hitting like garbage. It’s hard to be a successful team when the two guys you were leaning on the most aren’t hitting. 

The problem with Carp is that he is hitting exactly like he's been hitting, sans half of last year. In a year and a half, he's had one good half. And he's been terrible this year. I don't care what super secret advanced stats say about him. We gave him a stupid contract extension for no reason, and now we're stuck with him. Just like Dexter Fowler. We need to not have either of those guys on the team. I've been Dex's defender for awhile, but it's been long enough. He's a waste of money and a roster spot. I wouldn't be so upset about Carp if we didn't sign him to that new contract. 

8 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

at what point do we become sellers?

We're honestly still right in it. If we can somehow improve, we've got a good shot at making the playoffs. That will dissuade Mo from selling. I really don't think we have much of a chance to win it all, though. Our rotation is bad and our offense is way too prone to a team wide cold streak. I'd love to see them ditch some bloated old guys and play for 2 years from now, but that won't happen. We've got exciting guys in the minors, but we'll probably keep extending Carp until he's 50 and trade Gorman for more 30+ guys. 

45 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Any ideas? 

As far as trades go...I like Marcus Stroman anf Matt Boyd, especially if they’re determined to leave Carlos in the pen. Don’t really think there’s going to be a bat out there that completely changes the look of this lineup....and it’s not like it’s a bad lineup. 

Honestly, not really. Like you said, it's a solid lineup and I can't see us going after another bat. They just aren't hitting. I'd love to be able to move on from Fowler but that's not really a possibility.

I want another starter, whether it's moving Carlos back up or trading for one of those two. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I agree with all these. I don't think it's really possible to win with Bader and Wong in the lineup. I love the defense that both these guys bring but their offense is anemic. I'd like to see Edman get some more run at second, and I think you're 100% right about bringing up Randy(I'm not sure I'll ever be to the point where I can spell his last name without looking). He's scorching it and he's plenty athletic enough for CF. We need an offensive spark and he could definitely be it. You've mentioned it twice now, and I'm 100% in agreement. Edman and Randy at CF and 2nd could provide a lethargic offense a nice boost.

I'm scared of the cost of Stroman and Boyd. I'd love to get them but I want no part of trading away Carlson and/or Gorman. I'm not sure those guys make us a WS contender this year and I think those two prospects could be legit. 

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The problem with Carp is that he is hitting exactly like he's been hitting, sans half of last year. In a year and a half, he's had one good half. And he's been terrible this year. I don't care what super secret advanced stats say about him. We gave him a stupid contract extension for no reason, and now we're stuck with him. Just like Dexter Fowler. We need to not have either of those guys on the team. I've been Dex's defender for awhile, but it's been long enough. He's a waste of money and a roster spot. I wouldn't be so upset about Carp if we didn't sign him to that new contract. 

Carpenter had 2 bad months last year and 4 months where he was an MVP candidate. Not counting March because it was only 2 games...

April: .145/.309/.224/.533

May: .297/.379/.582/961

June: .313/.404/.636/1.040

July: .333/.447/.774/1.222

August: .262/.392/.592/.984 

September: .170/.313/.245/.558 

He’s struggled this year for sure, but the bat is still there. He just needs to find his swing. Hopefully the rest he’s getting helps. 

Big win tonight, what a job by Brebbia and obviously Tommy Edman with that huge home run in the 9th! Wong better look out.  

Randy Arozarena went 3/5 today with a double and 2 RBI for Memphis. BA is up to .405 with an OBP of .463

Dylan Carlson went 1/3 with 2 walks and this bomb....

That swing :x

On 7/4/2019 at 1:41 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

@holt_bruce81 and what's crazy is that he is only slightly worse from the right side. This dude needs to be in the bigs. I like that he's playing CF too. I kind of thought his future was at 1st. He might be a starting OF in the show next year. Even if its in LF after we lost Ozuna and hopefully trade O'Neil. 

Yeah Carlson is a lot more athletic than I thought When we first drafted him. I think he’d be great in RF and in the 2-hole or leadoff spot. Dudes plate discipline is well advanced. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?