The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I have no idea what the bullpen looks like this year. Any guesses?

I got...

John Gant
Dakota Hudson
Brett Cecil
Dominic Leone
Chasen Shreve 
Ryan Helsley
Andrew Miller
Jordan Hicks

Meaning....John Brebbia, Luke Gregerson, Mike Mayers, De Leon and Gomber don't make the team. And we probably lose Mayers because he's out of options, which I think I'm ok with. I would love to get De Leon and Brebbia in there, but I just don't see the room. Obviously Cecil should be cut, but he should of been cut a year ago.  

By process of elimination, you're going to for sure have Jordan Hicks and Andrew Miller in the bullpen.  IF Luke Gregerson is healthy, he's in there because of the contract.  You can probably include Cecil in there as well.  Dakota Hudson is probably tied to Carlos Martinez for right now.  Shreve and Leone probably make it as well as Gant.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Probably push him off the roster. Pena is garbage. Weiters is an improvement. 

IDK, Pena is used to playing extremely sparingly. 

Not something Weiters is and that can be hard to embrace. Weiters also is one of worst in pitch framing metrics too...

He's an upgrade, but not sure how much. He's gotten progressively worse...

Can't complain about a minor league deal though lol...

16 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

IDK, Pena is used to playing extremely sparingly. 

Not something Weiters is and that can be hard to embrace. Weiters also is one of worst in pitch framing metrics too...

He's an upgrade, but not sure how much. He's gotten progressively worse...

Can't complain about a minor league deal though lol...

Maybe this will be the year Molina starts getting breathers. I like Wieters' bat quite a bit more than Pena too. Neither are good, but when Pena makes solid contact it's a single. When Wieters gets into one, it's a bomb. I'm all about dingers.

Image result for mark mcgwire simpsons dingers gif

Edited by MOSteelers56
  • Like 1

I don't think Chasen Shreve makes this team. He's just nothing more than a loogy and we're going to carrying Cecil and Miller already. I think if Cecil struggles, they'll bring up Cabrera...

Plus, Shreve is gonna be SOL in 2020 when they implement this rule change of pitcher having to face 3 batter minimum. It sounds like it's going to be adopted next offseason...

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I don't think Chasen Shreve makes this team. He's just nothing more than a loogy and we're going to carrying Cecil and Miller already. I think if Cecil struggles, they'll bring up Cabrera...

Plus, Shreve is gonna be SOL in 2020 when they implement this rule change of pitcher having to face 3 batter minimum. It sounds like it's going to be adopted next offseason...

I’d be ok with this. I want Poncedeleon to make this team. I think he could be a lethal bullpen guy. 

And then you’d have Cabrera and Gomber as your 6th and 7th starters stretched out down in Memphis. 

At least that’s what I’d do. I’m sure they’d rather have Brebbia or Mayer’s because he’s out of options up here. And have Poncedeleon, Gomber and Cabrera down in the AAA rotation. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

29 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I’d be ok with this. I want Poncedeleon to make this team. I think he could be a lethal bullpen guy. 

And then you’d have Cabrera and Gomber as your 6th and 7th starters stretched out down in Memphis. 

At least that’s what I’d do. I’m sure they’d rather have Brebbia or Mayer’s because he’s out of options up here. And have Poncedeleon, Gomber and Cabrera down in the AAA rotation. 

Yah, I think the plan is for Ponce to be that 6th rotation piece. He'll be pitching in Memphis as starter, unless we have an injury in the rotation or need a spot start...

He would then come up and make that start, or Gant would and Ponce would fill his stretch relief role...

Same thing for Gomber as Ponce. I think if Cabrera comes up, he's pitching exclusively out of BP this year...