The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

7 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm really excited to see how the pitching shakes out this year. Ponce is definitely in line for some time. I like him as a John Gant style bullpen arm. 

The way Ponce is performing in ST, I might want him as my 5th starter. Put him there and Kim as your Closer...

18 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

The way Ponce is performing in ST, I might want him as my 5th starter. Put him there and Kim as your Closer...

I'd rather just stretch all the potential starters out and have an entire BP of guys that can go multiple innings. I'm also not a fan of designating a full time closer, unless you have Billy Wagner, Trevor Hoffman, or Mariano Rivera....or Jordan Hicks lol.

Here's how I think the 26 man roster to year will start...

SP: Flaherty, Martinez, Hudson, Wainwright, Kim

RP: Cabrera, Webb, Reyes, Gallegos, Gant, Helsley, Brebbia, Ponce deLeon

C: Molina, Wieters

1B: Goldschmidt

2B: Wong

SS: Dejong, Miller

3B: Carpenter, Edman

LF: O'Neill, Dean

CF: Bader, Thomas

RF: Fowler

I think even though Carlson deserves to be here, he goes down to start. I think they start him in CF at Memphis...

44 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Here's how I think the 26 man roster to year will start...

SP: Flaherty, Martinez, Hudson, Wainwright, Kim

RP: Cabrera, Webb, Reyes, Gallegos, Gant, Helsley, Brebbia, Ponce deLeon

C: Molina, Wieters

1B: Goldschmidt

2B: Wong

SS: Dejong, Miller

3B: Carpenter, Edman

LF: O'Neill, Dean

CF: Bader, Thomas

RF: Fowler

I think even though Carlson deserves to be here, he goes down to start. I think they start him in CF at Memphis...

Yeah I don’t really have an issue there. The only 2 spots that would be even in question for me would be Cabrera and Reyes. 

I’m a big fan of young pitchers getting their feet wet in the big leagues by pitching out of the bullpen for the first year or two before they slide into the rotation. I hope That’s their plan with Cabrera. Because I’m not ready to classify him as a Reliever. As for Reyes....He has nothing to prove at the minor league level, but is he ready now or would it benefit him to go down to Memphis and get his mechanics back on track? I’m 50/50 on Reyes. Part of me wants that last bullpen spot to go to Whitley. Another part of me wants to see the Big Dawg eat. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Yeah I don’t really have an issue there. The only 2 spots that would be even in question for me would be Cabrera and Reyes. 

I’m a big fan of young pitchers getting their feet wet in the big leagues by pitching out of the bullpen for the first year or two before they slide into the rotation. I hope That’s their plan with Cabrera. Because I’m not ready to classify him as a Reliever. As for Reyes....He has nothing to prove at the minor league level, but is he ready now or would it benefit him to go down to Memphis and get his mechanics back on track? I’m 50/50 on Reyes. Part of me wants that last bullpen spot to go to Whitley. Another part of me wants to see the Big Dawg eat. 

With Miller likely starting on the IL, I think they want that power armed lefty in the backend of the BP. Cabrera fills that role and was used like that in playoffs last year too...

Agree with you on Reyes. I think if he does go down, they'll stretch him out...

Edited by kgarrett12486

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Mark Saxon of The Athletic reports that the Cardinals and Yadier Molina are working on a contract extension.

It was reported earlier in the offseason that Molina and the Cardinals were hoping to work out a new contract, and it appears that's coming closer to fruition

Why?

10 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Mark Saxon of The Athletic reports that the Cardinals and Yadier Molina are working on a contract extension.

It was reported earlier in the offseason that Molina and the Cardinals were hoping to work out a new contract, and it appears that's coming closer to fruition

This front office becomes goofier by the season but yea they make all the right decisions because they’ve been successful so much...

10 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'll believe it when a more credible source is reporting it.