The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

Early season sample sizes beware, but time to look at some of our top prospects.

Nolan Gorman: .353/.405/.794, 5 HR, 5 RBI, 8.1 BB%, 37.8 K%, 209 wRC+ (9 games/37 PA)
Jordan Walker: .355/.487/.452, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 15.4 BB%, 23.1 K%, 161 wRC+ (8 games/39 PA)
Masyn Winn: .478/.533/.696, 0 HR, 4 RBI, 16.7 BB%, 6.7 K%, 232 wRC+ (7 games/30 PA)
Alec Burleson: .278/.316/.639, 4 HR, 10 RBI, 5.3 BB%, 18.4 K%, 145 wRC+ (9 games/38 PA)

The Cardinals are pretty lights on bats in the system, but these are some of the early names to keep an eye on.  Obviously, you've still got guys like Ivan Herrera, Joshua Baez, etc. to pay attention to but the torrid starts these guys are having is noteworthy.  Nolan Gorman is hitting with ridiculous power, which given his profile isn't surprising at all.  He'll need to continue to work on his strike zone judgment, but the power is absurd.  I'm going to go ahead and say it now, Jordan Walker will be a consensus top 10 prospect by the end of the season.  He doesn't even turn 20 years old for another month, and he's about 4 years younger then the average AA player.  If he continues to hit, he's going to have a LONG future in St. Louis.  Masyn Winn may not have the physical tools that Walker possesses, but he keeps producing and he's going to move into that untouchable territory if he continues to produce.  Alec Burleson will be an MLB OFer at some point.  All he does is produce.  I'd expect a call up at some point this year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Early season sample sizes beware, but time to look at some of our top prospects.

Nolan Gorman: .353/.405/.794, 5 HR, 5 RBI, 8.1 BB%, 37.8 K%, 209 wRC+ (9 games/37 PA)
Jordan Walker: .355/.487/.452, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 15.4 BB%, 23.1 K%, 161 wRC+ (8 games/39 PA)
Masyn Winn: .478/.533/.696, 0 HR, 4 RBI, 16.7 BB%, 6.7 K%, 232 wRC+ (7 games/30 PA)
Alec Burleson: .278/.316/.639, 4 HR, 10 RBI, 5.3 BB%, 18.4 K%, 145 wRC+ (9 games/38 PA)

The Cardinals are pretty lights on bats in the system, but these are some of the early names to keep an eye on.  Obviously, you've still got guys like Ivan Herrera, Joshua Baez, etc. to pay attention to but the torrid starts these guys are having is noteworthy.  Nolan Gorman is hitting with ridiculous power, which given his profile isn't surprising at all.  He'll need to continue to work on his strike zone judgment, but the power is absurd.  I'm going to go ahead and say it now, Jordan Walker will be a consensus top 10 prospect by the end of the season.  He doesn't even turn 20 years old for another month, and he's about 4 years younger then the average AA player.  If he continues to hit, he's going to have a LONG future in St. Louis.  Masyn Winn may not have the physical tools that Walker possesses, but he keeps producing and he's going to move into that untouchable territory if he continues to produce.  Alec Burleson will be an MLB OFer at some point.  All he does is produce.  I'd expect a call up at some point this year.

If Winn develops just a little bit of power….my goodness. And Gorman hit another homer today, I believe that’s 6 homers in 6 games. 

32 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Wonder how long Oli sticks with Carlson in the leadoff spot? Especially with Edman raking. 

I think he'll keep getting leadoff at bats this year. He may move down to 5th occasionally, but I think he'll get every opportunity to leadoff.   

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Am I crazy in saying that Arenado is the best defensive 3B I've ever seen wear the bird on the bat? I watched Rolen all through his prime, but I think Arenado has even more range.

I don't think you could go wrong with either Arenado or Rolen.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He needs to cut down on the strikeouts.

Absolutely but assuming Nolan can play 2B, he should starting later this season with Edman at SS. DeJong has picked up where he left off last year and I’m still not sure why he plays so much over Sosa outside of his contract.

Edited by ttitansfan4life