The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

I’m not against keeping Dickerson. Nootbar isn’t doing anything to stay at this level. My opinion about O’Neill isn’t going to change as I just don’t think he’s that good that some fans want to make him out to be. Before his “injury” he was completely lost at the plate and showed absolutely no signs of improvement. I’d rather keep platooning Yepez and Dickerson at LF/DH tbh. Don’t need a guy who strikes out consistently. Now if you can find someone else to knock Dickerson off the roster, then sure but until then, I see no reason to cut bait with him yet. Maybe when Carlson is back, then platoon Donovan and Yepez in the LF/DH role. As far as Gorman, he shouldn’t be going anywhere. He belongs as an everyday starting 2B although Marmol doesn’t see it yet. I’ll take my chances with him against LHP then seeing Sosa out there on a consistent basis.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Were paying those 6 guys like $50m to be our starters. If they are healthy, and someone is pithing close to Ace status (was Mikolas, could be Waino or ever a healthy Flaherty) we arent going to be pushing for another starter.

If Jack has a set back, or someone else implodes/gets hurt, then sure. But until then, doesnt seem likely. Probably more likely to grab another Long Releiver/Spot starter to hep out the bullpen

Maybe it’s just my lack of confidence in Flaherty actually being anything this year and Mikolas pitching a full season. Of course they won’t go looking if everyone is healthy and pitching effectively but when is that ever the case? I thought SP was a huge need in the offseason and all we did was sign a mediocre pitcher in Matz.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

Great game from Jordan Walker tonight down in Springfield. 

3/4 with a double and 2 homers. 

Walker might end the year as a top 10 prospect in baseball. He’s so good. 

Also, Alec Burleson continues to rake down in AAA. Crushed his 12th homer of the season and I think He’s got his average over .340 now. 

Edited by holt_bruce81
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 3:42 PM, StLunatic88 said:

Everyone has been excited about Gorman (although no one said a peep when he went 0-11 with 7 Ks) and plenty have been pumping up Yepez.

But man, Brendan Donovan has been the surprise hero of the rookies to this point. dude never got a second thought when he got to the big leagues, and he is only hitting .280+ in almost 30 games and 100 PA, all while playing a ton of positions in the field.

Dont know if he can keep it up, but if he’s the “Ninth” hitter of this lineup, that would be great production for us (and further puts the DeJong stuff in a worst light)

Yeah He’s been great so far. And the thing is, the stats he’s producing are right in line with what he did the past 3 years down in the minors. He’s always had a really good OBP with great Walk/strikeout rates. And we’re seeing that exact thing now. Hoping they don’t rush DeJong back anytime soon. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Well it wasn’t a great start….  Was I lying? Obviously things changed and the bats were on today. And yes, this team needs a starting pitcher.

A few months ago I would of agreed with you, but I think the Cardinals like the depth they have at the Starting pitcher position. ideally (assuming Flaherty's rehab assignments go as planned) in a month you're going to have a rotation that looks like...

1. Jack Flaherty 
2. Adam Wainwright 
3. Dakota Hudson
4. Miles Mikolas
5. Steven Matz 

Plus you have a handful of guys that you feel decently comfortable with calling up to make a handful of starts from our Triple-A squad if an injury were to occur and/or you were trying to limit innings from a few of the starters above. And yes I do feel comfortable with Liberatore, Rondon or Thompson having to make spot starts here and there. 

Like i'm all for the Cardinals trading for Frankie Montas and boosting the top of their rotation, but we all know they don't operate that way. So why get your hopes up? The more glaring need at the deadline might be a lefty out of the pen. Mcfarland has been a huge disappointment this season.