The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

May be early but it’s probably safe to say that Waino is done and of course this team didn’t prepare for it.

After his first start of Spring Training? You may very well be right, but I don't think this conclusion can be drawn yet. We've got plenty of minor league guys that can give us what we were expecting to get from Waino anyway. 

@ttitansfan4life

Adam Wainwright again experienced diminished velocity while giving up three runs in three innings Thursday against the Astros.

Besides still dealing with the mechanical issue stemming from back spasms that gave him trouble last time out, Wainwright also had a hand problem today, as he had recently burned his index finger. So, it's understandable that Wainwright topped out at 86 mph in this one.

20 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

After his first start of Spring Training? You may very well be right, but I don't think this conclusion can be drawn yet. We've got plenty of minor league guys that can give us what we were expecting to get from Waino anyway. 

I’m basing it off of how he ended last year with the “dead arm” excuse as well. Our rotation isn’t very good as is and again we’re relying on an injury prone pitcher in Flaherty and a washed up Wainwright. The lineup could end being pretty solid this year but that rotation is extra scary once again.

15 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I’m basing it off of how he ended last year with the “dead arm” excuse as well. Our rotation isn’t very good as is and again we’re relying on an injury prone pitcher in Flaherty and a washed up Wainwright. The lineup could end being pretty solid this year but that rotation is extra scary once again.

We have the resources though to go get any SP we want in season via trade if we want. I forgot who said it last year, but basically this exec said the cardinals have the ability to get any player in baseball.  

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We have the resources though to go get any SP we want in season via trade if we want. I forgot who said it last year, but basically this exec said the cardinals have the ability to get any player in baseball.  

I mean, when you've got a top 5 prospect in baseball you can pretty much beat most other packages.  The problem is the Cardinals were never going to include Jordan Walker in any deal.  Hell, a Masyn Winn/Tink Hence package is probably one of the better packages out there, but again the Cardinals wouldn't do that.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, when you've got a top 5 prospect in baseball you can pretty much beat most other packages.  The problem is the Cardinals were never going to include Jordan Walker in any deal.  Hell, a Masyn Winn/Tink Hence package is probably one of the better packages out there, but again the Cardinals wouldn't do that.

You're forgetting the MLB ready talent the have on the roster already that teams covet as well. They have enough to make a signifcant deal without including Walker, Hence or Winn. It may not get you the Luis Castillo type trade, but it could get you a Yu Darvish type deal. 

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Man, I love what I'm seeing defensively ou of Nolan Gorman. You can definitely tell this was an area he focued on this off-season. His range is vastly improved and they've been giving him 3B reps as well.

That's interesting to hear. More versatility gives him more opportunity. I'm hopeful he puts it together. His power is enticing. 

11 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

You're forgetting the MLB ready talent the have on the roster already that teams covet as well. They have enough to make a signifcant deal without including Walker, Hence or Winn. It may not get you the Luis Castillo type trade, but it could get you a Yu Darvish type deal. 

But filling a hole by creating another one isn't the solution either.

11 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Winn is going to be with the big squad sooner rather than later. It's crazy to have prospects as exciting as Winn and Walker. 

Jordan Walker with another HR, and he's making it even harder to justify sending him down to Memphis.

• Like 1