The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

Im hoping we get 2 save chances in the next 3 games, Hicks is lights out in those showing it was just one little hiccup, and we ship him out during the ASB. 

Building on that, we need to have a serious conversation with Montgomery/Reps, and either lock him up or trade him immediately. Id lock him up, he is one of the better Pitchers going into Free Agency. and were already short on Pitching in 2024.

Jack needs to go out today, look great again, and we should never see him take the mound in a Cardinals uniform again. Thats not in any malicious way, its just what would be smart business, hes a ticking time bomb

If the Dodgers (or Whoever) would take on DeJong for even a low level prospect, He should be going as well. I keep thinking them as they need a SS and a Righty bat

If they, are more interested in Edman, Id move him as quickly as possible as well. The more he plays, the more it seems obvious he is just a Super Utility guy, who can be a streaky good starter. We will have to pay him soon, and Id say he and Donovan are pretty interchangeable. Plus he likely brings back a real tangible return (unlike Pauly)

Going the rest of the season, it should be Mikolas, Liberatore, Matz, Thompson and then sprikle in Waino and other youngsters to see what we have going into 2024. And then also for the next month, play Carlson and O'Neill every day you can, see if one of them can get hot again, and trade them away (more likely with TON)

If we can go into 2024 with a Reliable Mikolas, Montgomery and maybe one of the youngsters can be a #4/5, Id feel so much better about a quick turn around. Use the pieces from Hicks/Jack plus some more to go get a Shane Bieber or whoever is available via Trade, and we are looking at a huge bounce back in '24

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Building on that, we need to have a serious conversation with Montgomery/Reps, and either lock him up or trade him immediately. Id lock him up, he is one of the better Pitchers going into Free Agency. and were already short on Pitching in 2024.

We're not going to be able to lock-up Montgomery, he's a Boras client and he's headed to FA to test the market. He's going to get paid too if he keeps pitching like he has been recently.

I think he's our best trade chip right now. I thunk we could get a very good return for him at the deadline. We need to move him. 

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We're not going to be able to lock-up Montgomery, he's a Boras client and he's headed to FA to test the market.

I completely forgot about him being a Boras client. That obviously is a factor, and with not getting something done before the season all but assures he will hit free agency. 

So in that case, move him now so we get the most return from a team. and then best case scenario, we double dip and resign him 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Jack needs to go out today, look great again, and we should never see him take the mound in a Cardinals uniform again. Thats not in any malicious way, its just what would be smart business, hes a ticking time bomb

Step one complete, now start packing up his locker

7 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Im hoping we get 2 save chances in the next 4 games, Hicks is lights out in those showing it was just one little hiccup, and we ship him out during the ASB. 

One down, get me one more against the White Sox, at least

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

@CWood21 and @holt_bruce81 I know you guys follow the draft more intently. Who are some of the names I should be doing more research on that are realistic option for the Cards?

I've seen some positive report on OF Chase Davis and seems like a guy that could make it to our pick.

I honestly haven't looked at the draft at all.  Especially since we coughed up our SRP for Contreras.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

@CWood21 and @holt_bruce81 I know you guys follow the draft more intently. Who are some of the names I should be doing more research on that are realistic option for the Cards?

I've seen some positive report on OF Chase Davis and seems like a guy that could make it to our pick.

Davis and Schanuel are the two college bats at the top of my board (that could realistically still be there at pick 21). There are 2 pitchers that I draft immediately if they are still available, and they are Hurston Waldrep and Chase Dollander. But other than those guys, this class is kind of weak when it comes to college arms in the 1st round. Joe Whitman is a guy that seems to be climbing up peoples boards, but he didn’t really have a lot of success until this year. And then he just completely blew up when he threw 5 scoreless innings in summer ball, striking out 9. He’s a lefty, after Thompson and Hjerpe the last few years, I’m honestly hoping we go a different route. 

This class is flooded with Prep bats and that’s where Im hoping we select from. Aiden Miller, Bryce Eldridge, Kevin McGonigle, Colt Emerson, Roch Cholowsky, Jonny Farmelo and Blake Mitchell are a few of the prep guys that I really like that could be available with our pick. 

Noble Meyer, Thomas White and Charlee Soto are prep arms that could be available but honestly I think my favorite prep arm is Josh Knoth. I think he goes a lot higher than expected just because I think a team will fall in love with the metrics. 

At the end of the day I dont really care who we take. I trust Flores and our Scouts and I just want to add some talent to our system. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

@StLunatic88 seems like we're going to get our wish. Ken Rosenthal had a iece stating that he's talked to some of his sources with Cardinals and they indicated Monty and Flaherty were 'as good as gone' come the deadline. 

That is good to hear, but honestly not good enough.

I can see Mo & Co leaking out that information, but keep saying "the deadline" hoping that we go on a streak or the Reds falter and its more like 6-7 games out and they can pretend we have a chance. 

We need to be selling NOW, stop pussyfooting around this thing. 

We are closer to Last in the League than we are the leaders in our bad Division

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

That is good to hear, but honestly not good enough.

I can see Mo & Co leaking out that information, but keep saying "the deadline" hoping that we go on a streak or the Reds falter and its more like 6-7 games out and they can pretend we have a chance. 

We need to be selling NOW, stop pussyfooting around this thing. 

We are closer to Last in the League than we are the leaders in our bad Division

I think they are already engaging with teams and if a deal materializes before then that makes sense, I think they'll pull the trigger. There was the report yesterday that we've already been discussing our positional players on the MLB roster currently with Seattle in exchnage for young controllable SP.

Same here. I was so focuesd on the NHL draft, I forgot about this one lol...

Pretty much.  Given the timing, I either dig into the NBA Draft or the MLB Draft.  And that's if I dig into either one.  Dug more into the NBA one this time.

@StLunatic88 seems like we're going to get our wish. Ken Rosenthal had a iece stating that he's talked to some of his sources with Cardinals and they indicated Monty and Flaherty were 'as good as gone' come the deadline. 

Unfortunately, the Cardinals don't have a ton of valuable pieces.  Montgomery is probably their most valuable trading chip, and he's a near lock to get the QO if he were stay and see his contract expire this offseason.  I would assume Jack Flaherty would almost assuredly accept the QO, and given his recent injury history that wouldn't be ideal.  It's pretty bad when Paul DeJong is our most "valuable" trade chip as far as positional players go assuming you don't want to move one of our young guys.

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think they are already engaging with teams and if a deal materializes before then that makes sense, I think they'll pull the trigger. There was the report yesterday that we've already been discussing our positional players on the MLB roster currently with Seattle in exchnage for young controllable SP.

Yes, that was encouraging. Although, I dont agree with that plan, unless you are getting some young stud in return, but who are we trading away to get that? Assuming Walker is off the board, youre talking about maybe Nolan Gorman? Who I think has proven himself to be a future piece, so we are just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Carlson, O'Neill, Nootbar, Knizer... None of those guys are bringing in any better "controllable arms" than we already have in the system. So then are we talking Edman? Im good with that, but is he returning you that type of arm? 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

It's pretty bad when Paul DeJong is our most "valuable" trade chip as far as positional players go assuming you don't want to move one of our young guys.

Id say Edman/Donovan have decent value, and we should be moving on from which ever we value less right now. Although Im sure Mo & Co are going to continue to overvalue any guys who team would actually be interested in (i.e. anyone other than DeJong)

I think there are decent trade possibilities we could get for packages centered around Edman, Donovan, TON, DeJong, Carlson, Jack, Monty, Hicks. But I think we probably add Herrera into something to really improve the return. It’ll take creativity from our FO, though, which is asking a lot. 

I wouldn’t normally want to trade Herrera, but Bernal looks like he could be pretty good and we’re stuck with Contreras for awhile.