The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

Toronto is in advanced talks to acquire Paul DeJong per Morosi. Makes sense given they just lost Bichette to injury yesterday. 

EDIT: The dela is done. the return is RP Matt Svanson. He's 24 and just got called up to AA.

Svanson was also drafted last year in the 13th round as a senior from Lehigh University, signing for $50,000. His college stats were largely unremarkable, and actually made a couple strong starts after that on the Cape, which may be what bumped up his draft stock. He then debuted in Dunedin’s bullpen, posting a strong 2.30 ERA with 23 strikeouts in 15.2 innings.

Listed at 6’5” and 235 pounds, Svanson fits the classic power profile with a repertoire that backs it up. His fastball sat in the mid-90s with touching, touching up to 98, with a low-80s slider as the main secondary. He also had a very strong ground ball profile at over 60%. Ultimately, the ceiling is a middle inning reliever which limits how placement on a list, but he’s shown the stuff at least plays in the pro ranks and could move pretty quickly.

Edited by kgarrett12486
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Toronto is in advanced talks to acquire Paul DeJong per Morosi. Makes sense given they just lost Bichette to injury yesterday. 

I can’t imagine we’ll get anyone crazy for him. I wish him the best, though.

We’re about to get one Winn from this losing season. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I can’t imagine we’ll get anyone crazy for him. I wish him the best, though.

We’re about to get one Winn from this losing season. 

We should all be happy we got anything at all for DeJong, who was on the chopping block for everyone on here for 2+ years.  We actually got a guy that might be a BP arm option in 2025. 

Just as a reference on how dominant he's been through A+ so far:

The 24-year-old has spent most of this season at High-A, amassing a phenomenal 1.11 ERA, 2.48 FIP, 10.86 K/9, and 58.03 GB%. He also has not allowed a single home run though 32.1 innings of work. As it currently stands, Svanson has the makings of an impactful reliever at the major league level 

Edited by kgarrett12486

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm like 95% convinced we're trading Flaherty today, but in the back of my mind there is a growing sentiment that we may just hang onto him and offer him the QO. Reason I say this, is there would be a decent chance he might just take it and if he did, that fills one of our (3) needed rotation spots next year. If not, I think they'd be happy with the comp pick.

I know it's highly unlikely, but just a thought. 

Unless the trade offers are just miserable, I agree it's far more likely he's dealt.  But I think there's little chance that he'd decline the QO knowing full well that his market is going to be non-existent with that draft pick attached to him.

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unless the Yankees are offering some MLB-ready SP, I don't think Carlson gets dealt.

I wonder if the Yanks would be interested in DC and Jack for one of their MLB ready SP? That way they have Jack to fill in their rotation for the rest of this year. I admittedly know nothing about the Yankees guys, so I don’t even know if their MLB SP are actually in the MLB or not.

Just now, JonStark said:

Between this and the Dejong trade, we better be seeing Winn called up soon. 

Someone on Reddit(grain of salt) said that if Winn stays down another 3 weeks, he would still be eligible for rookie of the year next year. That could be a factor since teams are rewarded for rookie of the year. 

• Like 2