The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

What’s our top needs? SP, RP, CF? 

A guy who I think could make some sense for us is Chris Bassitt from the Blue Jays. Veteran pitcher who’s an innings eater, only signed through next year and with Gibson and Lynn coming off the books I doubt the front office wants two rookies filling out the rotation.  Not even sure the Blue Jays would put him on the market, but he’s a guy I would call about. 

There’s not really alot there in the CF market. Luis Robert is a pipe dream. The two guys that I was looking at that make some sense is Jazz Chisholm like @StLunatic88mentioned. And the other one was Mike Yastrzemski. He’s more of a RF now but he has experience in Center. Both players are on short-term deals so it wouldn’t block anyone. 

And I doubt We get any of these guys. Knowing Mo he’ll probably trade for Charlie Blackmon finally after that being the go-to Cardinals rumor for a decade. Way to go Mo! Get him while he’s washed up! 

Posted (edited)

The MLB draft is roughly 10 days away. I’m excited to see what kind of talent we add to our system. We haven’t picked this high since 1998 (5th overall) and that pick worked out pretty well for us. With any draft I ‘m all about taking BPA and adding talent to the farm. Randy Flores has done a phenomenal job over the years and I really don’t see him screwing this up for us. There are a few players I’m hoping are available at pick #7

1A. Hagen Smith: LHP, Arkansas 
1B. Chase Burns RHP, Vanderbilt

- I’m lumping these guys together. I like Them both so much, if I HAD to choose one I think I’m taking Smith. He might not even have the better stuff, I just like his demeanor on the mound and the fact that he’s a lefty. Both guys have top of the rotation stuff. Both have a Plus-plus FB/SL combo while Burns has a better feel for a 3rd pitch. With college offenses absolutely EXPLODING this year, how do you not take one of these guys? Add an ace to the already impressive pool of pitching we have down in the minors. A month ago I actually had Griffin as my #1 guy, but the chance to add a legit ace is just to good too pass on. 

3. Braden Montgomery: OF, Texas A&M 
- Montgomery transferred to the Aggies from Stanford and he continued to mash the baseball. Switch hitting outfielder, probably best suited for a corner spot  has a 70-arm, 60-power, 55-field, 55-hit. Knocked 27 dingsrs this year and had some of the highest EVs in all of college baseball. Braden broke his ankle during the college World Series and is done for the year. The one big thing that concerns me with him is his swing and miss percentage. It’s improved from last year but it’s still North of 20%, which for college, isn’t that great. 

4. Konnor Griffin: OF/SS/RHP, Jackson Prep HS 
- Griffin might have the best tools of anyone in the entire draft. Is a legitimate plus defender at SS and in the Outfield, has plus speed on the bases (I think He stole 83 bases on 84 attempts this year). Throws 96-97 MPH on the mound. It’s been rumored that some teams like him more as a pitching prospect, the Cardinals being one of them. Can’t remember where I heard It from but someone compared him to Jack Flaherty when he was coming out of high school as a pitcher. The thing that concerns me with Griffin is the level of competition he played (been hearing it wasn’t the best) and his swing needs some tweaking. Seems a bit long. 

5. JJ Wetherholt: 2B/SS, West Virginia 
- The latest rumor is that the Guardians are going to take Wetherholt with the 1st overall pick and save a few dollars. He moved to SS this year for the Mountaineers and by all accounts should be able to stick there at the next level. But the defense isn’t what excites people, it’s the bat, the dude rakes. A 65-hit tool, his average EV this year was just over 95 mph and his Chase-rate was 14%. Love his swing from the left side. The thing that concerns me with JJ is his injuries, he’s missed time in back to back years with hamstring issues. 

Edited by holt_bruce81
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 1:46 PM, StLunatic88 said:

Unfortunately, if he ever figures out the bat, Walker may be forced to be the long term 1B. Because he certainly isnt an Outfielder. 

Its amazing that he was ever a 3B prospect

Disagree. Walker has the capability to be a league average defender at a corner OF spot. I honestly think he could be more than that, especiallygiven his throwing arm. He actually showed significant growth defensively the last few months last year and even this season early. We gotta remember this guy has been playing the OF position less than 2 full calendar years in his career. 

His ceiling still projects to be a better defender in RF than Burly. 

On 7/3/2024 at 4:24 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

What’s our top needs? SP, RP, CF? 

A guy who I think could make some sense for us is Chris Bassitt from the Blue Jays. Veteran pitcher who’s an innings eater, only signed through next year and with Gibson and Lynn coming off the books I doubt the front office wants two rookies filling out the rotation.  Not even sure the Blue Jays would put him on the market, but he’s a guy I would call about. 

There’s not really alot there in the CF market. Luis Robert is a pipe dream. The two guys that I was looking at that make some sense is Jazz Chisholm like @StLunatic88mentioned. And the other one was Mike Yastrzemski. He’s more of a RF now but he has experience in Center. Both players are on short-term deals so it wouldn’t block anyone. 

And I doubt We get any of these guys. Knowing Mo he’ll probably trade for Charlie Blackmon finally after that being the go-to Cardinals rumor for a decade. Way to go Mo! Get him while he’s washed up! 

SP is still our biggest need IMO and it's not close. We have zero reliable depth beyond our (5) we have right now. There is bound to be an injury and Gray is on a pitch count of 85-90 per game.

I think Toronto will be sellers. We always match up well with them. Bassitt, Gausman and Kukuchi could probably all be had. Personally, I'd love Gausmann, but think Kukuchi looks like the best fit. I could also see us going back to revisit Paul Blackburn from A's.

The whole CF upgrade is a pipedream. While Siani's bat is subpar, he's playing elite level defense in CF. This FO isn't replacing that, especially with Edman back sooner than later (whether we think he'll be ready to contribute or not, they do).

White Sox aren't moving Robert for anything less than a haul. Honestly, not sure I'd pay that price. Robert has had one season of playing more than 100 games. Chisholm would cost a pretty penny as well and I'm still not sure what he is. Maybe he reaches level most thought he would with a change of scenery, but that's a big risk. 

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Disagree. Walker has the capability to be a league average defender at a corner OF spot. I honestly think he could be more than that, especiallygiven his throwing arm. He actually showed significant growth defensively the last few months last year and even this season early. We gotta remember this guy has been playing the OF position less than 2 full calendar years in his career. 

His ceiling still projects to be a better defender in RF than Burly. 

He’s certainly athletic enough. I think he’s probably making a lot of defensive improvements away from the spotlight while he’s in Memphis. I just hope his bat hurries up. We could really use a Jordan Walker kind of guy on this team.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 3:47 AM, holt_bruce81 said:

The MLB draft is roughly 10 days away. I’m excited to see what kind of talent we add to our system. We haven’t picked this high since 1998 (5th overall) and that pick worked out pretty well for us. With any draft I ‘m all about taking BPA and adding talent to the farm. Randy Flores has done a phenomenal job over the years and I really don’t see him screwing this up for us. There are a few players I’m hoping are available at pick #7

1A. Hagen Smith: LHP, Arkansas 
1B. Chase Burns RHP, Vanderbilt

- I’m lumping these guys together. I like Them both so much, if I HAD to choose one I think I’m taking Smith. He might not even have the better stuff, I just like his demeanor on the mound and the fact that he’s a lefty. Both guys have top of the rotation stuff. Both have a Plus-plus FB/SL combo while Burns has a better feel for a 3rd pitch. With college offenses absolutely EXPLODING this year, how do you not take one of these guys? Add an ace to the already impressive pool of pitching we have down in the minors. A month ago I actually had Griffin as my #1 guy, but the chance to add a legit ace is just to good too pass on. 

3. Braden Montgomery: OF, Texas A&M 
- Montgomery transferred to the Aggies from Stanford and he continued to mash the baseball. Switch hitting outfielder, probably best suited for a corner spot  has a 70-arm, 60-power, 55-field, 55-hit. Knocked 27 dingsrs this year and had some of the highest EVs in all of college baseball. Braden broke his ankle during the college World Series and is done for the year. The one big thing that concerns me with him is his swing and miss percentage. It’s improved from last year but it’s still North of 20%, which for college, isn’t that great. 

4. Konnor Griffin: OF/SS/RHP, Jackson Prep HS 
- Griffin might have the best tools of anyone in the entire draft. Is a legitimate plus defender at SS and in the Outfield, has plus speed on the bases (I think He stole 83 bases on 84 attempts this year). Throws 96-97 MPH on the mound. It’s been rumored that some teams like him more as a pitching prospect, the Cardinals being one of them. Can’t remember where I heard It from but someone compared him to Jack Flaherty when he was coming out of high school as a pitcher. The thing that concerns me with Griffin is the level of competition he played (been hearing it wasn’t the best) and his swing needs some tweaking. Seems a bit long. 

5. JJ Wetherholt: 2B/SS, West Virginia 
- The latest rumor is that the Guardians are going to take Wetherholt with the 1st overall pick and save a few dollars. He moved to SS this year for the Mountaineers and by all accounts should be able to stick there at the next level. But the defense isn’t what excites people, it’s the bat, the dude rakes. A 65-hit tool, his average EV this year was just over 95 mph and his Chase-rate was 14%. Love his swing from the left side. The thing that concerns me with JJ is his injuries, he’s missed time in back to back years with hamstring issues. 

That's a solid list. Bazanna, Condon and Caglione are locks to go before our pick. I have Wetherholt as my number one target for cardinals. Like you said, lot of rumors CLE wants to go underslot at #1 with him. If they don't take him, I think there is shot he could make it to #7 because of the injury.

Smith and Burns are #2 and #3 on my list. I have Smith a little higher as I think he's more deceptive in his delivery and Burns FB for as high octane as it is gets hit more.

I'd throw Nick Kurtz on our radar. He's probably safest pick outside of Bazanna. Dude is prototypical 1B slugger and draws comps to Jim Thome.

Also hear we have scouted Bryce Rainer hard. We've gone hard after those prep guys under Flores recently. I think he can stick at SS and be in a Corey Seagar mold.

On 7/3/2024 at 1:46 PM, StLunatic88 said:

Unfortunately, if he ever figures out the bat, Walker may be forced to be the long term 1B. Because he certainly isnt an Outfielder. 

Its amazing that he was ever a 3B prospect

I'm not going to declare him a future Gold Glover by any means, but he was clearly better this year than last even in the limited innings.

2023: 923.2 innings, -16 DRS, -15.9 UZR/150
2024: 132 innings, 0 DRS, 18.1 UZR/150

Again, I'm not saying he's going to be great but if those defensive metrics are his career than I'd be stoked.  Unfortunately, his defense took a step forward but his bat completely fell apart.  He's been brutal at the plate the last two months for Memphis.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'd throw Nick Kurtz on our radar. He's probably safest pick outside of Bazanna. Dude is prototypical 1B slugger and draws comps to Jim Thome.

I'm just not inclined to grabbing a bat-first, 1B/DH-only type.  Recent picks have had some really poor success (Nolan Schanuel, Spencer Torkleson, Andrew Vaughn, etc.).  I'd rather grab someone with more athleticism even if there's a bit more in terms of projections.

48 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Also hear we have scouted Bryce Rainer hard. We've gone hard after those prep guys under Flores recently. I think he can stick at SS and be in a Corey Seagar mold.

Definitely wouldn't be surprised if Rainer was the guy.  Especially if he's willing to sign for under the pick value.  I feel like the Nationals at 10 are probably his floor, and their slot is $5.9M so if he's willing to sign for like $6.25M would create additional wiggle room later on in the draft.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Really nice win tonight. I think I saw That were 31-16 since Mother’s Day…

I understand the whole trying to find more leadership for the clubhouse last offseason but there’s really no reason for Matt Carpenter to be on this team right? Like he or Crawford are definitely getting DFA’d once Noot and Edman are ready to come back right? 

And I mean the way we use our pen, I’d rather have that extra arm down there than have a guy wasting a roster spot. They’re gonna have some tough roster decisions in a few weeks. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

On 7/4/2024 at 3:47 AM, holt_bruce81 said:

It'll certainly be interesting to see what kind of strategy the Cardinals end up going with.  They probably should have their choice of any of the prep guys unless either Chicago or Kansas City nab one ahead of them.  I would agree Chase Burns and Hagen Smith are probably 1A and 1B as far as who is likely to be available.  The lack of movement on Burns' fastball scares me, and I think throwing an 80 grade on there is a bit generous.  I'm not as big a fan of Smith's delivery, but then again I wasn't a huge fan of Hjerpe's and he's proving me wrong.  The idea of Konnor Griffin or Bryce Rainer is appealing, but they're also rather raw and it's not a great prep class at the top.  Part of me wonders if they're getting elevated because of that.  And I almost wonder if there's gonna be some gamesmanship with sign ability to create some extra breathing room later in the draft.  I feel pretty confident that Bazanna, Condon, and Cagliagnone are all going to be off the board.  I'd imagine one of Smith or Burns is as well.  But beyond that, it's a toss-up.  Right now, it feels like it depends on whether or not Cleveland goes underslot at 1 (Weatherholt seems to be that guy) or if they stick and go with Bazanna).

On 6/9/2024 at 10:54 AM, CWood21 said:

Not trying to sound dramatic, but how the Cardinals do in their final 33 games before the All Star break is going to be MASSIVE in if they buy or sell at the deadline.  They only have a 3 game series against the Braves later this month that they play a team with a current winning record.

I made this post on June 9th, and the Cardinals have gone 15-9 over that period.  I'm still not buying them as a legitimate playoff team, but the entire NL sans Colorado and Miami are still in the playoff mix.  8 more games left in the first half of the season