The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Not totally sure I see that comparison.  To me, he's a 2B who can play SS for a period of time where as Bregman is a 3B who can play SS if needed.  Also, feels like Bregman had more power than Wetherholt does.  I mean, it's not a terrible comparison by any means, but it would be nice that our 2B/SS duo would be set for a while.

Xander Bogaerts type bat with a much better glove at 2B is my closest 'comp'. 

7 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I don't know if anyone saw this trade happen the other day, but this is a big foreshadowing event for the deadline. The Royals had to give up a former 2nd round pick (and a top 5 player in their system) and a 2025 comp balance pick for a pretty good RP, but not an elite one and he has struggled this season.

That is a high high price and worries me for the deadline. 

Better start expecting it.  Pretty much everyone but Colorado and Miami are in the playoff mix in the NL.  Washington is moving the wrong direction, but they're a good run from being right in the mix.  AL probably has about 8 teams solidly in the mix, so there probably is going to be more sellers in the AL than the NL.

On 7/15/2024 at 12:16 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

Yah, they 100% will. I will say, I was surprised that Flores came out and said he's healthy now and they already plan to play him at SS this year, so that tells me they're not going to have too much reigns on him unless there is an issue pop up.

I mean, there's no reason to move him off of SS until he consistently shows he can't do it.  But if he's a 2B that doesn't continue to hit at a high level, his value goes down tremendously.  You're obviously willing to take less of a hitter at SS, but if he's a guy who can slide over to SS when Winn needs a day off than his value goes up tremendously.  If he can slide into that 2 hole and offer up some power in his swing.

We’ve had luck with guys with great hit tools in the recent past. Imagine this kid, Burly, and Donovan in the lineup together. There will be a lot of guys on base. Winn looks like he could be included in that list too. 

On 7/12/2024 at 8:33 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

With all of the Jordan Walker talk, it got me thinking on if we need to adjust our expectations of what kind of piece he may end up being (assuming he eventually comes back around with the bat, which I think he will - he's been too good a hitter at every level, including the MLB in second half of 2023).

I think most of us, from what was being preached from the scouting pundits and the organization hype thought this guy may end up having immense power and ability to hit 30+ bombs on consistent basis. After seeing him up here, his approach and given he had a GB rate of over 50% in his cumulative time in MLB, maybe he was mis-judged. I know it's probably still way too early to make this assumption, but maybe he's not in the traditional Paul Goldschmidt in his prime mold and more of a Matt Holliday type guy. A guy who's still a really high end MOTO bat and perinnial All-Star level player, but not that franchise superstar on his own and a type who'sgoing to be in the conversation for MVP (Holliday only had 1 year he finished inside top 5 voting).

Matt Holliday was more of a contact hitter with his approach and even had a 45% career GB rate (49% his rookie year). Holliday wasn't exactly the best defenser either, but was pretty much league average across his career. 

I think that is the ceiling I'm now hoping for with Walker. An STL like Holliday. A guy who never topped 30 HR's here, but consistently put up around 25. What seperated Holliday though was the ability to hit those lines dves for authority that turned into doubles. He consistently hit 30+ doubles every season and that drove in majority of his RBI's. That's the step I'm hoping to see with Walker, him becoming that doubles machine, because with as big/strong as he is he can run into 20 HR's a season. 

I think we all had sky-high hopes.  Watching him play, I am thinking Dexter Fowler.  Probably ends up a guy that you are glad is on your team, but not the guy you build your team around.  

• Like 1

Too lazy to copy the last few tweets, but we're down to 5 unsigned draft picks.  One, Brendan Lawson, already tweeted that he's heading to college.  JJ Wetherholt, Brian Holiday, Braden Davis, and Andrew Dutkanych remain left unsigned.

EDIT:

I believe that means only Braden Davis remains unsigned.  Assuming my math is correct, they can sign him up to almost double his slot value.  It won't take that much.

The Cardinals have reached agreement with shortstop JJ Wetherholt to a $6.9MM bonus, according to Baseball America’s Carlos Collazo (X link). Wetherholt’s first pro deal is slightly above the $6,823,700 slot value assigned to the seventh overall pick.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

The Cardinals have reached agreement with shortstop JJ Wetherholt to a $6.9MM bonus, according to Baseball America’s Carlos Collazo (X link). Wetherholt’s first pro deal is slightly above the $6,823,700 slot value assigned to the seventh overall pick.

It'll be interesting to see who gets sent where.

And that should put the finishing touches.  18/19 players signed, and the only one not signed was 18th round pick who was highly unlikely to sign.  That puts the Cardinals at 3% over, which keeps from any other loss of draft picks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Huge series against the Pirates starting tomorrow. Need at least 2 out of 3.

Tonight's game is huge. They have Skenes going in Game (2) and we'll have either Liberatore or Graceffo in Game (3). 

Pirates just took 2/3 from Phillies too.

On 7/22/2024 at 12:54 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

Tonight's game is huge. They have Skenes going in Game (2) and we'll have either Liberatore or Graceffo in Game (3). 

Pirates just took 2/3 from Phillies too.

Offense puts up 1. Terrible game to drop. Maybe we'll be the team to crack the code of Skenes(big doubt)?