The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

On 9/1/2024 at 7:33 PM, twslhs20 said:

Trade for Tommy Pham. DFA Tommy Pham. Let the Royals claim him.

I mean, what's the problem with this? They traded for Pham because they needed a RH bat and at the time were right in the thick of the NL wildcard race. He didn't cost anything of significance, or anyone who was going to be in the fold long-term to acquire.

We fell out of the race and we have plenty of young guys in the OF that need to play and get an extended look ovr an aging veteran that won't be here next season. They also did Pham a service, as he said he wanted to be on a contender. So you put him on waivers and a playoff contender claim him.

No harm, no foul honestly. 

On 9/1/2024 at 9:44 PM, CWood21 said:

I'm hesitant to put the blame on any one individual, but it starts at the top.  If the Cardinals are going to be frozen because of the uncertainty with DSG contract than they might as well tear things down to the studs.  Because right now, there's not even the framework of a contender.  You've got a few nice pieces in Masyn Winn, Sonny Gray, and a slew of guys who are doing okay but this lacks any true talent.  I'd listen to any offers on just about every player.

I don't even think it's going to be frozen, I think you're going to see us shed payroll next year unless the Bally issue gets resolved before (doubt it because of the extensive litigation and various parties involvement).

However, this ownership group will absolutely not go through a true rebuild. There is 0% chance they tear it down to the studs and do a full tank job. They won't endure that level of financial loss over a 3-5 year period with no gaurantee that they can dig themselves out of that hole either when time comes. 

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

However, this ownership group will absolutely not go through a true rebuild. There is 0% chance they tear it down to the studs and do a full tank job. They won't endure that level of financial loss over a 3-5 year period with no gaurantee that they can dig themselves out of that hole either when time comes. 

I used to think the same thing, but thats when I thought that BDJr was still in charge. BUT... if The Third is actually running things now, I could really see him dumping this entire next season. Committing to the "Farm Kids" and trying to sell that while getting someone to pay the bigger salaries still on this roster.

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I mean, what's the problem with this? They traded for Pham because they needed a RH bat and at the time were right in the thick of the NL wildcard race. He didn't cost anything of significance, or anyone who was going to be in the fold long-term to acquire.

We fell out of the race and we have plenty of young guys in the OF that need to play and get an extended look ovr an aging veteran that won't be here next season. They also did Pham a service, as he said he wanted to be on a contender. So you put him on waivers and a playoff contender claim him.

No harm, no foul honestly. 

All for Pham playing for a contender. I just think we were never a serious playoff threat so these trades were a moot point.

18 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I used to think the same thing, but thats when I thought that BDJr was still in charge. BUT... if The Third is actually running things now, I could really see him dumping this entire next season. Committing to the "Farm Kids" and trying to sell that while getting someone to pay the bigger salaries still on this roster.

Until they actually do it, I don't believe it's happening. 

11 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

Call me a pessimist, but I don't see us contending next year either.

You're not a pessimist, I think we've all come that that realization that we can probably expect this same course next year. However, we still need those veteran arms to provide innings to supplement the young arms and Fedde provies that for a very reasonable price.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2024 at 10:35 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

This is the false hope that keeps plaguing us. Instead of calling ip guys like Graceffo and McGreavy to make starts down the stretch to see what they are, we'll continue to pitch Mikolas because 'he gives us the best chance'...

That wasn't meant to be an optimistic post.  That was talking about how futile things were.