The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

10 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

From what I’ve read, not much. Lefty, speed, relative power, good arm, no contact, old for his level, apparently didn’t hit at all last year. 

Sooo...... I have to think this is just clearing out money and a roster spot.

Basically what I've seen as well. This trade is more or less two teams swapping disappointments hoping they'll rebound with a change. I don't see either Woodard or Diaz amounting to anything of value moving forward...

Most important part of this deal is what you eluded to,  shedding salary...

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Sounds like Stanton is holding out hope that the Dodgers will enter the mix.

MLB.com's Jon Morosi reports that the Marlins "have agreed to general framework" of Giancarlo Stanton trades with both the Cardinals and Giants.

Morosi adds that the deals are "on hold" while the Marlins wait for Stanton to inform them whether he'd accept a trade to either team

6 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

According to Craig Mish of Sirius XM, the Cardinals proposed deal for Giancarlo Stanton is centered around prospect Sandy Alcantara.

Mish also notes that the Cardinals deal includes more cash than the Giants' proposed deal does. 

I won’t blame the FO for this one of that is true. If we offer more cash and a much better package and he still doesn’t come, that’s not on us. 

46 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I won’t blame the FO for this one of that is true. If we offer more cash and a much better package and he still doesn’t come, that’s not on us. 

But why would the Marlins accept both deals if ours is so much better....blah he's going to San Fran. 

11 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

But why would the Marlins accept both deals if ours is so much better....blah he's going to San Fran. 

They're accepting both deal because they know final decision lies w/ Stanton. Marlins want to move him and as much of the contract as they can soon...

They're essentially saying to him, these are the two teams with deals on the table. Pick one and move on. The Dodgers aren't interested...

Stanton could say no thanks though if he really wanted to stick it to them, but I think he wants resolution as well...