Who's Catching Passes from Jordan Love?

Packerraymond

10 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I wouldn't hate adding Jones.  TBH I have no idea what his reputation is as a locker room guy/work ethic guy.

I feel like Jones is pretty washed - lost more and more PT as the season wore on.

Nick Westbrook at his 1 year deal sounds good to me, but he just got snatched up.  Both Chark/Mack Hollins probably have some sort of market but they would be interesting if their interest is soft. 

Zach Pascal/Breshad Perriman would be my "definitely better than watkins" last resort options.  Marquez Callaway isn't polished/mature veteran but as a RFA on a new staff he might be a good get

Bisi Johnson is intriguing to me.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

If we do make some space that's the type of young-enough all around good player you can stomach giving a nice deal to.

I wouldn't hate it but we have so many holes right now I'd rather take our cap and spread it around. DL, S, WR, TE all have major depth issues right now and the draft can't fix everything. 

I guess I see it this way......

Doubs is going to be WR1.  The chain mover and route runner.

Watson is going to be our big play guy.  

Toure and everyone else is a great unknown.

I'm hoping that we clear space because there are always "surprise" cuts, especially after the draft.  Some veteran will come free.

And we need to draft JSN.  He's just big enough to line up outside if needed.  But, he's a deadly route runner in the slot.  Grab him and let him be in the mix with Doubs and Watson in the passing game.

Let them all evolve together.

I like the TCU kid, Johnson, better than JSN, just because of size, but JSN is just a much better route runner and that is more of what we need.

We're not looking for a big time producer. Ideally Watson is #1, Doubs is #2 and a top 50 DP is #3 in our pecking order.

WR #4 playing 40% of the snaps is what we're looking for, and it's totally OK if they're spent. The biggest gain we get out of them is affordability and leadership. Marvin Jones and TY Hilton are my two for that reason. Show the pups how to practice, watch film and play like a pro. The difference in performance for the underclassmen when we had a good group of seniors in the room with them in college was consistently noticeable. Cobby always credited Driver, Jennings and Jones with helping him grow in the league, Davante always said the same thing about Cobb and Jordy. There's a tremendous value to watching a guy who's done it the right way his whole career in that room with you. 

• Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

I wouldn't hate it but we have so many holes right now I'd rather take our cap and spread it around. DL, S, WR, TE all have major depth issues right now and the draft can't fix everything. 

DL is completely fine? I wouldn't expect really any moves there outside of depth.  WR is too young and needs 1 player.  S really depends on what they do with the DB room as a whole, and TE is a gaping maw of ineffective, underwhelming, young players and has been for the past 10 years, outside of our 3rd Tackle Marcedes Lewis.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I guess I see it this way......

Doubs is going to be WR1.  The chain mover and route runner.

Watson is going to be our big play guy.  

Toure and everyone else is a great unknown.

I'm hoping that we clear space because there are always "surprise" cuts, especially after the draft.  Some veteran will come free.

And we need to draft JSN.  He's just big enough to line up outside if needed.  But, he's a deadly route runner in the slot.  Grab him and let him be in the mix with Doubs and Watson in the passing game.

Let them all evolve together.

I like the TCU kid, Johnson, better than JSN, just because of size, but JSN is just a much better route runner and that is more of what we need.

Doubs better learn how to catch if he wants to be the #1.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Doubs better learn how to catch if he wants to be the #1.

No doubt.  But I'll bet he sees more targets than Watson.  He is going to get a ton of opportunity because Watson will scare the daylights out of the defense.

So Doubs better be ready.  If I'm in a fantasy league, Doubs is the guy I'm looking to steal in the late rounds.   It's boom or bust for him.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

DL is completely fine? I wouldn't expect really any moves there outside of depth.  WR is too young and needs 1 player.  S really depends on what they do with the DB room as a whole, and TE is a gaping maw of ineffective, underwhelming, young players and has been for the past 10 years, outside of our 3rd Tackle Marcedes Lewis.

Our DL room currently consists of 5 total guys, two of which are Johnathan Ford and Chris Slayton. Losing Reed and Lowry means losing a lot of snaps. Yes, Wyatt and Slaton will play more but you can't have 3 viable DL for a 17-game season. That unit needs help. 

The safety room won't be fixed by simply moving Douglas to S, a move I'm not a huge fan of anyways because it weakens the CB room. You at least need to resign Ford, which is what I would probably do at this point, or add another guy who can legitimately compete for a starting position. 

WR has been talked about -- you can't run an offense composed of three 2nd year, still developing WRs, one of whom is a fringe roster player. 

So yes, we need FA money, mixed in with the draft, to address all of those positions, probably with lower-end additions much like last year when we signed guys like Reed, Ford, Watkins, Hollins, Wilson, Leavitt, etc. 

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No doubt.  But I'll bet he sees more targets than Watson.  He is going to get a ton of opportunity because Watson will scare the daylights out of the defense.

So Doubs better be ready.  If I'm in a fantasy league, Doubs is the guy I'm looking to steal in the late rounds.   It's boom or bust for him.

He's definitely boom or bust. He has the talent but last year was a ****show. A 13.4% drop percentage with an ADOT under 10 is godawful. I'm really hoping some of it was confidence issues that partly came from Rodgers and that playing with Love will change it.

Edited by Bullet Club

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

He's definitely boom or bust. He has the talent but last year was a ****show. A 13.4% drop percentage with an ADOT under 10 is godawful. I'm really hoping some of it was confidence issues that partly came from Rodgers and that playing with Love will change it.

No that I know anything...but I feel like this.

His drops were more of a result of thinking too much.  Trying too hard.  And he was doing that to be on the same page as Rodgers, which is kinda of what you are alluding to.

I'm hoping things are easier for him this year.  Because he has the size, agility and speed to open and get open quickly.  Now those hands have to come around.

Ideally I'd have JSN coming in to help things out too.  The thing on JSN is that he's won, big time, in college.  He expects to win.  I want that kind of attitude in my WR room.

True, we need a vet, and one of those will come on board later on.  

• Like 1