2023: Defense

onejayhawk

8 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

There's a lot of crossover between what we ask of our safeties and any corner that lines up in the slot. And he's done well as a tackler and blitzer when used in those spots. We have McDuffie, Watson, and Williams all for awhile still. I'm imagining something like McDuffie plays outside in base then moves inside in nickel, Williams and Watson are pure boundary guys, and Conner takes what's left of the slot snaps in dime and when he isn't playing true safety. So not that he'd replace Sneed or anything, more that he's just another example of the depth and scouting we have at DB, that we don't at DT, sadly.

I think that re-signing Sneed is a priority. The rest of that draft has been useful but did not stand out.

• CEH is gone.
  • Gay is gone.
  • Niang may be done.
  • Danna is a rotation piece but not a starter. He will be reasonably priced. 

The next year is Bolton, Humphrey, Gray, and Trey Smith. That's a lot and don't even start on the year after.

Another thing to consider about Conner is that Reid is going into his last season. Cook and Conner look like a potential starting pair.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:56 AM, Jakuvious said:

There's a lot of crossover between what we ask of our safeties and any corner that lines up in the slot. And he's done well as a tackler and blitzer when used in those spots. We have McDuffie, Watson, and Williams all for awhile still. I'm imagining something like McDuffie plays outside in base then moves inside in nickel, Williams and Watson are pure boundary guys, and Conner takes what's left of the slot snaps in dime and when he isn't playing true safety. So not that he'd replace Sneed or anything, more that he's just another example of the depth and scouting we have at DB, that we don't at DT, sadly.

I’m actually pretty worried about the DT position, not just this week but the future as well. We’ve got basically nobody there if Chris Jones leaves.

We’re probably gonna have to go DT with the first pick with how things are going. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I’m actually pretty worried about the DT position, not just this week but the future as well. We’ve got basically nobody there if Chris Jones leaves.

We’re probably gonna have to go DT with the first pick with how things are going. 

I really like Buggs but he's a FA and will probably go to the highest bidder after the season.

Would've really liked to see him and CJ next to each other for the playoffs.

9 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Yeah, I've flip flopped all year on whether I'd rather keep Jones or Sneed, if it comes down to that choice, and this is really why.

On 1/27/2024 at 11:33 AM, Jakuvious said:

Yeah, I've flip flopped all year on whether I'd rather keep Jones or Sneed, if it comes down to that choice, and this is really why.

Financially, I don't think Jones is an option.

Sneed is the only one of his draft class that will command any money from our FO. CEH and Gay should bring decent compensatory picks.

Next season is another story, so the idea would be to lock up Sneed and start on Bolton, Humphrey, and Smith.