2023: Defense

onejayhawk

This defense deserves all the props. They’re always overshadowed by the offense(and now the offenses problems)but they’re legitimately the reason we’re atop the AFC rn. 

Even missing Bolton were still legitimately ELITE. We’ve come such a long way from the Bob Sutton years of incompetence.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Contract extension talks are currently in the works. IT's going to be tough. Sneed is clearly one of the top-5 CBs of his draft class.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_in_different_contractual_places_with_two_star_defenders/s1_14819_39540478

As of week 10, the Chiefs are 2nd in the NFL in points/drive. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023/11/15/kansas-city-chiefs-defense-ranks-second-in-nfl-in-this-key-stat-according-to-pff/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Stat line against number one WRs this season:

St Brown (Det) 6-71 1 TD
D Moore (Chi) 3-41 1 TD
G Wilson (NYJ) 9-60 0 TD
J Jefferson (Min) 3-28 0 TD
K Allen (LAC) 4-55 0 TD
T Hill (Mia) 8-62 0 TD (1 fumble)
A J Brown (Pha) 1-8 0 TD
D Adams (LV) 1-7 0 TD
D Adams (LV) 1-4 0 TD
S Diggs (Buf) 4-24 0 TD
J Chase (Cin) 3-41 0 TD

Is there anyway we can keep Jones and Sneed?

6 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Is there anyway we can keep Jones and Sneed?

Doubtful.

Cut MVS for +12mil and Kelce retires for +15.5mil would be 27.5mil alone. I'd say one is a certainty while the other I'd call probable. 

Could also try extending Omenihu and Reid to lower their cap hits. I'd say extend Thuney to but he's already 31 and has an out after 2024. I don't care how good Thuney is, paying a guard 27mil/year is absurd.

We just have too many roster holes to pay both top end deals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Doubtful.

Cut MVS for +12mil and Kelce retires for +15.5mil would be 27.5mil alone. I'd say one is a certainty while the other I'd call probable. 

Could also try extending Omenihu and Reid to lower their cap hits. I'd say extend Thuney to but he's already 31 and has an out after 2024. I don't care how good Thuney is, paying a guard 27mil/year is absurd.

I figured, so who do we keep? Gotta be Sneed right? Hes younger and Having him and McDuffie together could potentially offset what we lose out on with Jones. 

Stone Cold is my guy though, a Chiefs Legend. Fringe HoFer, ring of honor, retire the number kinda guy. That’s a hard pill to swallow

Just now, Chiefer said:

I figured, so who do we keep? Gotta be Sneed right? Hes younger and Having him and McDuffie together could potentially offset what we lose out on with Jones. 

Stone Cold is my guy though, a Chiefs Legend. Fringe HoFer, ring of honor, retire the number kinda guy. That’s a hard pill to swallow

If it does end up being one or the other, it's 100% Sneed imo. The three year age difference is the primary reason. But I also just looked back at my post on DL at/over 30 and it turns out that I was fairly accurate...

On 8/31/2023 at 7:29 PM, kingseanjohn said:

What I calculated is that sacks among this group went down 27% and QBHits went down 32%. Based on Jones' 2022 season that would give him 11 sacks and 20 QBHits.

He currently sits at 8.5 sacks and 23 QBHits. Yes, there's still one game to go. But he also isn't 30 yet, so based on my findings, he should decline a bit more next year. I hate to say it, but I really think we need to tag and trade him after this season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Doubtful.

MVS is gone but it's doubtful Kelce retires. 

Extending Omenihu is very likely. Reid is a possibility but they may let Reid go and draft a S. That's a doable course of action. 

The question is, can we sign a veteran WR at below-market value? I expect Hardman to re-sign, so Rice, Watson, and Hardman are set. With Ross as the developmental player, we just need a veteran to lay WR2.

This is a fantastic OL draft. Getting a day #2 OG is workable. That said, OT is the priority. We have a solid IOL fallback in Allegretti.

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

MVS is gone but it's doubtful Kelce retires. 

Extending Omenihu is very likely. Reid is a possibility but they may let Reid go and draft a S. That's a doable course of action. 

The question is, can we sign a veteran WR at below-market value? I expect Hardman to re-sign, so Rice, Watson, and Hardman are set. With Ross as the developmental player, we just need a veteran to lay WR2.

This is a fantastic OL draft. Getting a day #2 OG is workable. That said, OT is the priority. We have a solid IOL fallback in Allegretti.

Have we been watching the same Kelce? That body language and lack of fire just gives off Lethal Weapon Murtaugh vibes every single game.

Sure, cutting Reid would save a little under 11mil. But he hasn't fallen off like Mathieu did and he's a legit reason why we win games.

So to overhaul the WR room, you want to re-sign Hardman and replace MVS with a cheap vet?...

Agreed on the OL draft based on early looks. But if we get a day 2 OG, he's just going to sit. If we draft OT, he's going to sit as well. Allegretti is a free agent again.

I get that Kelce has gotten beaten up this year and over the last several years. I still do not think he will retire yet.

I am not in favor of cutting Reid and he has one year left. Edwards is the one who is up

We do not need an overhaul of the WR room. One veteran FA to start and a day #3 pick to develop. Removing MVS and developing Rice and maybe Ross 

Thuney has two years left instead of one. The Trey Smith and Creed Humphrey rookie deals are up next year. Bolton too, of course.