Draft Day talk Round 1

warfelg

54 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If we draft Nolan Smith I will:

1 - Be ordering a new TV.

2 - Expecting an Alex Highsmith trade.

3 - Not excited for this season at all.

what if Nolan is the pick at 36 after they trade 32 for a few picks? 

Hole in TV thread..... I actually forgot about it briefly, then read this. I really hope that thread is dead, we need a nice draft

Then to consider if they draft an EDGE  early and they trade Alex, still need a new TV.  

46 minutes ago, AFF said:

Bet you they would see him as Shazier replacement.

this is a mindset that can't work.  The idea of finding a replacement of a unique player is way too risky and rare . Just move on and get one of the many other good players, make up the difference by making other parts of the roster better. 

46 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Too much Vic Beasley in his game.

maybe tomlin signs hostage/Vet EDGE  (HVE) beasley after he wins DPOY in xfl 

9 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

What I really want to know, is this...

...are the Steelers gonna 'run up to the podium' like they do every year, as some sort of failed attempt to make the fans believe that the selection is who they wanted the whole time???  Enough with that...maybe wait a few minutes to see if you get that dream Trade-Down request, yeah??  When was the last time we actually traded down in the 1st Rd?? 

they learned about running up to the podium after they got food poisoning from subway

wait for the phone to ring, and after the phone deadline, submit the pick.  Hopes are there are many surprises early in the draft and the boards get shaken and the phone rings for a nice trade down (if the players of interest are gone) .  17 is a good spot to draft though.

My best guess:

1. Panthers - Young

2. Texans - Anderson

3. Titans - Stroud

4. Colts - Levis

5. Seahawks - Carter

6. Lions - Witherspoon

7. Raiders - Gonzales

8. Falcons - Bijan

9. Bears - Paris Johnson

10. Eagles - Tyree Wilson

11. Arizona - JSN (D Hop will be traded)

12. Houston - Anthony Richardson

13. Packers - Michael Mayer

14. Patriots - Van Ness

15. Jets - Skoronski

16. Washington - Banks

17. Steelers - Broderick Jones

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

My best guess:

1. Panthers - Stroud

2. Texans - Anderson

3. Titans - Stroud

4. Colts - Levis

5. Seahawks - Carter

6. Lions - Witherspoon

7. Raiders - Gonzales

8. Falcons - Bijan

9. Bears - Paris Johnson

10. Eagles - Tyree Wilson

11. Arizona - JSN (D Hop will be traded)

12. Houston - Anthony Richardson

13. Packers - Michael Mayer

14. Patriots - Van Ness

15. Jets - Skoronski

16. Washington - Banks

17. Steelers - Broderick Jones

Wow!!  Stroud gets picked TWICE!!  Now THAT, is talent, lol...I know what you meant

• Like 2

1 hour ago, August4th said:

nice day in the city. Pittsburgh will make for a great draft location in the future

I was thinking of that….where do you put the stage? Schenley Park/Pitt/CM? The parking lots for PPG Paints Arena? Maybe just use the Steelers UPMC complex?

So, just going back, and looking over some highlight tape on some Edge guys, and I tell you what, Felix Anudike-Uzomah has some pretty stellar 'get-off'  He works hard too, and even when he looks like he's beat, if the play lingers on for another couple of seconds, he's almost assuredly getting away from the O-Lineman.  He's also not too shabby when he holds back into coverage, and has some pretty good covergae, and results, against the rush.  I wouldn't be mad with him being selected at 32.  What's other peoples' take on him?  He might be a bit of a luxury pick, but in watching some other Edge guys, I'd have to take him over a lot of other 1st/2nd Rd Edge guys, like Miles Murphy, Van Ness, Ojulari, McDonald IV, or Keion White...

Edited by Ward4HOF

4 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

So, just going back, and looking over some highlight tape on some Edge guys, and I tell you what, Felix Anudike-Uzomah has some pretty stellar 'get-off'  He works hard too, and even when he looks like he's beat, if the play lingers on for another couple of seconds, he's almost assuredly getting away from the O-Lineman.  He's also not too shabby when he holds back into coverage, and has some pretty good covergae, and results, against the rush.  I wouldn't be mad with him being selected at 32.  What's other peoples' take on him?  He might be a bit of a luxury pick, but in watching some other Edge guys, I'd have to take him over a lot of other 1st/2nd Rd Edge guys, like Miles Murphy, Van Ness, Ojulari, McDonald IV, or Keion White...

I’d have no problem with him at 32.

9 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Felix also gets attention from 2 OL often, leading me to think they were accounting for him a sign of respect from the opposition.   He usually plays all out, unlike some others ranked highly. 

I prefer mocks with him around 49 but he isn't always there.  The teams EDGE boards are probably varying  and we will find out.  He would be great fit for us as a rotational reserve  or that Hostage Vet Edge positions  we created in recent years (HVE). It's not a luxury pick after what we learned last year. Then consider if Highsmith plays out his contract and has a career year and hits UFA?  Nope, not luxury and if Khan traded down a few times and got Edge around 49 and then another around 80 (Herbig or Young) that would be good with me. This way they can see how they are this year in the NFL and go from there.   WM4 is near the top too  but the others you mentioned not as much for me overall. Young is the sleeper, he could be good since the get off is already there.  Herbig too, could be there later and if he adds 20LBs and has a few years around TJ it could be a good mid round selection. 

After gearing up for this draft , CB and EDGE are players I will observe over the next few years. Interesting class, seems good but also some hype and then some players might not even go to a team that plays the scheme suited for them which can happen.  Or the team they go to is so bad it affects them, more attention their way . 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I admittedly have done the least amount of “research” on the edge group compared to other positions by McDonald is by far my favorite from that group. I’ve heard he’s one of the guys NFL teams are much higher on than the media. 

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Even worse IMO.  I’m not as high as some are on him playing in space.  Too much Vic Beasley in his game.

I honestly haven’t looked a ton into him…people’s opinions vary so much on him.

Another prominent Steelers board, most of the “smart guys” absolutely love him.

16 minutes ago, AFF said:

I honestly haven’t looked a ton into him…people’s opinions vary so much on him.

Another prominent Steelers board, most of the “smart guys” absolutely love him.

Too much of an angles player, bend is decent not great, looks lost in the garbage so to speak.  Georgia schemed him well to take him off the LOS in run downs and put him on the line in pass downs.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

I admittedly have done the least amount of “research” on the edge group compared to other positions by McDonald is by far my favorite from that group. I’ve heard he’s one of the guys NFL teams are much higher on than the media. 

Oh, i have no doubt.  I expect him to go higher than Felix, but he's 2 1/2 years older, and nearly 6'4" at 239 lbs.  I would question picking him, especially in the 1st.  His 2nd Contract (presumably 5 years later), puts him at 29YO.  Otherwise, yes, he's very athletic, and similar to Anudike-Uzomah, he shows no quit, if he's initially out of the play.

I am far from someone who can point out the nuances of the position/play, so I'm sure there are reasons why McDonald is rated higher.  I would just rather we not go after someone at that age, at that position, that early.  QB is one thing, but Edge??  It's not the end of the world, obviously...just my preference.

• Like 1