Draft Discussion Day 2

Sllim Pickens

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would much rather have Washington than Mayer but I honestly don't want either.  Our TEs were fine after Hock was moved and I think Mitchell is similar to what Washington is.  If he had a healthy offseason and combine last year he would be a very similar player IMO.  

I really think our second round picks will be guys we don't expect at the positions of need.  Like Rashee Rice, Cody Mauch, Riley Moss, or Blake Freeland.  Maybe an edge like Adebawore or Isaiah McGuire.  Guys that aren't as high on mock lists but have the grades and athleticism to be higher if not for media influence.  

I agree with all of this. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I’m trying to prepare for the craziest scenario… 😂

What if the Lions double dipped  in TE and LB?

Darnell Washington, Michael Mayer, Trenton Simpson (To go with Campbell)

That would be crazy.  But talk about transforming two postion groups into strengths.(3 if you include the run game)

Reading twitter speculation about Swift and his agent telling the Lions Swift wants to go to a new team with Gibbs now in the team has really irked me. Same with Okudah and his “Free Jefe” campaign. You know how Jerry Jacobs approached the potential Ramsey trade and then the signings of all the DBs? He embraced it. When someone told him they were taking his roster spot, Jacobs responded that he’s always fought for his and welcomed the opportunity to do it again.

That is the mindset this Lions brass love. That’s the type of players we want to build around. Guys who want to fight to be on a good team with great teammates vs those who cower at the competition and want to be moved because they are scared of losing. Swift and Okudah don’t have that drive and dog in them.

Hopefully Gibbs has that dog in him and can get Jamo to bring out the dog in him. Jamo did like the tweets of Gibbs coming to Detroit. Maybe this will spark something in him because the Ty ought of having Gibbs and Jamos speed out there is getting me excited. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would much rather have Washington than Mayer but I honestly don't want either.  Our TEs were fine after Hock was moved and I think Mitchell is similar to what Washington is.  If he had a healthy offseason and combine last year he would be a very similar player IMO.  

I really think our second round picks will be guys we don't expect at the positions of need.  Like Rashee Rice, Cody Mauch, Riley Moss, or Blake Freeland.  Maybe an edge like Adebawore or Isaiah McGuire.  Guys that aren't as high on mock lists but have the grades and athleticism to be higher if not for media influence.  

I don't think Mitchell is close to the blocker Washington is. 

1 minute ago, Millenhater said:

What if the Lions double dipped  in TE and LB?

Darnell Washington, Michael Mayer, Trenton Simpson (To go with Campbell)

That would be crazy.  But talk about transforming two postion groups into strengths.(3 if you include the run game)

I think Washington would be a great pick (if Medicaid clear). His blocking is incredible and exactly what we need at TE in this scheme. Mayer seems like a Hock clone and we moved him because he didn’t fit what we are trying to do. 

I like Simpson, he’s a different kind of LB than both Campbell and Rodrigo, but I’m not sure the Lions are looking for that. I wish they were. I love the guy. He can be used all over. I think if we had a Ben Johnson type DC who was creative, Simpson would be a Lion. But AG seems to be an old school Defense type coach who focuses more on pass rush and coverage and less creativity in the middle. 

However, nothing would shock me at this point. I took yesterday and today off work and might start drinking pre draft. 🤣

6 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I think Washington would be a great pick (if Medicaid clear). His blocking is incredible and exactly what we need at TE in this scheme. Mayer seems like a Hock clone and we moved him because he didn’t fit what we are trying to do. 

I like Simpson, he’s a different kind of LB than both Campbell and Rodrigo, but I’m not sure the Lions are looking for that. I wish they were. I love the guy. He can be used all over. I think if we had a Ben Johnson type DC who was creative, Simpson would be a Lion. But AG seems to be an old school Defense type coach who focuses more on pass rush and coverage and less creativity in the middle. 

However, nothing would shock me at this point. I took yesterday and today off work and might start drinking pre draft. 🤣

I just don't see it with Washington as an elite blocker.  He is a good blocker but Hock was in college too.  Just because he is 270 people think he is an OT but his blocking is similar to about 5 other TEs.  Not good enough to think he is a must have TE.  I wouldn't be mad at the pick, but if Mitchell is healthy for a full offseason, I can easily see him being a very good TE.  We don't have the flashy names at TE but we have solid TE play which is all you need unless you have Kelce or Gronk.  

15 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I'll be right there with you in the next hour.  haha

Something to keep in mind, this is Holmes/Campbell third draft in these positions, ever. Neither were GM or HC somewhere else. They have built a good structure with lots of experience around them (Dorsey, Agnew, Fox, Spielman, Etc) but this is their first go ‘round as the final decision makers. 

This is who’ve they’ve drafted with the Lions so far:

QB-

RB- Jahmyr Gibbs/Jermar Jefferson

WR-

LT-

LG-

C-

RG-

RT- Penei Sewell

TE- James Mitchell

SLOT- Amon-Ra St. Brown

WR- Jameson Williams

DE- James Houston/Josh Paschal

DT- Alim McNeill

DT- Levi Onwuzurike

DE- Aidan Hutchinson

LB- Malcolm Rodriguez/Derrick Barnes

LB- Jack Campbell

NB- 

CB- 

S- 

S- Kerby Joseph/Ifeatu Melifonwu

CB- Chase Lucas

Haven't really drafted IOL, QB or CB yet. Could see them addressing all 3 spots today & tomorrow. 

Edited by Louis Friend

An interesting topic I think is how do you best support the picks the Lions made yesterday?  What picks can we make today to make those picks thrive?

For me I have to think a big DT is need for a stack backer to really thrive.  If you can get a DT like Benton that has added pass rush skill but can keep Campbell clean would really help him excell.  

As for Gibbs.  If you got an absolute roadgrader at RG like Torrance imagine when the hole opens up...Gibbs could be gone.  Add to that a blocker on the end of the line like Washington at TE or at WR like Mingo.  I still think we should just add talent at this point but I think it's an interesting way to maximize talent we just drafted.  I also think if we roll with Goff we should consider the same strategy.  What's your thoughts?

Honestly, I’ve been thinking the same thing. Build on your strengths now. 

We’ve got great speed and agility with Jamo and Gibbs, what if we add a WR like Jalin  Hyatt? 

Great running with Monty/Gibbs… O’Cyrus Torrence has been a reported target of the Lions. 

We’ve built up a secondary in free agency, but only Sutton is signed past this year, why not add Brian Branch, Jordan Battle or Julius Brent’s to the group?

Top DL are gone, tbh, I don’t like these guys in the middle rounds. I’d rather wait for Karl Brooks day 3. 

Do the Lions grab a QB? Levis is available. No way I’d take him at 6, but day 2? I’d sit him behind Goff and let him learn. If not, I’d wait for DTR or Duggan day 3.