Titans Select RB Tyjae Spears Pick #81

615finest

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I didn't love Washington as much as others and apparently the league didn't either. He had some highlight plays, but I think overall the more I dug into him, he wasn't as complete as he was hyped to be and apparently he has injury issues also. 

I'd rather have Spears and Whyle out of your options given. 

Washington fell due to character concerns & medical concerns 

Point blank we took a injury RB too high, RB wasn’t a need I understand he simply was there guy. You can’t compare sea to us they have WR’s we literally have 1 WR who didn’t play a full season & no depth behind him. To take a RB when it’s not a need shows vrabel is stubborn as fisher thinking practice squad players gone cut it 1 day 

• 2 weeks later...

Actually on further review I really like the Spears pick because my assumption is they want to use him a ton out of the backfield on choice routes and screens and he is capable of making the occasional big play.  Almost like adding an extra slot WR when he is in there but can also run between the tackles.  He is a play maker and when you have a guys like him and Chig, along with Burks you scheme ways to get them the ball.  Spears is going to be dynamic in space and be an outstanding dump down for Tannehill and later Levis.  

While everyone dismisses NWI he is not total crap and the entire point of the draft is to get better talent.  So when we got to our pick in the 3rd there really were not solid upgrades to NWI, Philips, Moore or McMath available.  Mims, Rice and Mingo went in the 2nd round.  Dell, Hyatt, Tillman and Downs were taken in the 3rd ahead of our pick.  Michael Wilson was a possibility but for the most part the WR with value there were gone.  We didn't have a 4th round pick but really, again, at that point you are using picks on guys who might not be any better than McMath or NWI in the 5th and 6th and not necessarily get better than a WR you can try as an UDFA.  

I like Dowell and the UDFAs we brought in and could hit on one or two.  I'd much rather have Duncan (6th), since OL was a huge issue (Duncan has starting LT traits or could play OG) last year than the value at WR with that pick and a TE that could catch and block was something we really needed as well and someone as good as Whyle wasn't going to be available as an UDFA. 

Just picking guys with a WR next to their name might get you a real dud and then you haven't helped yourself at all.   

• Like 1