Titans Select RB Tyjae Spears Pick #81

615finest

It's funny how people "don't remember" anyone not liking the Derrick Henry pick...

We had just traded for Demarco Murray and the vast majority of the takes, on here and other platforms, were overwhelmingly against drafting a RB in the 2nd round.

The ladder drill lol.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

It's funny how people "don't remember" anyone not liking the Derrick Henry pick...

We had just traded for Demarco Murray and the vast majority of the takes, on here and other platforms, were overwhelmingly against drafting a RB in the 2nd round.

The ladder drill lol.

I recall the trolling on the ladder drill but I don’t recall people being upset we literally had 3 2nd round picks & 2 that yr only pick I remember people being upset about was kevin Dodd because he was 25 coming out & they took a DE with no athletic ability wanting him to be an edge rusher 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TitanSS said:

The ladder drill lol.

He was also benched for Dion Lewis a couple of weeks and was shopped at the trade deadline before we learned how to use him / he started playing better. Lol 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TitanSS said:

This draft is for 2024, so I don't mind that we took a RB, it's just that this guys injury report alone should have limited him to a day 3 selection.

And I say this. It's gonna sound real cold and evil, but.....he is a RB. If we get 3-4 good years out of him before his knee gives out, so be it. Right?  Ran likely wants to reset the RB salary on this team to the point where we just keep drafting new ones every 2-3 years. Keep costs low and RB fresh and young. 

RB gets paid some money and maybe earn a deal elsewhere. Maybe become a trade assest. 

I'm not worried about his knee. It would be different if he were a corner or edge rusher that is harder to find. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

And I say this. It's gonna sound real cold and evil, but.....he is a RB. If we get 3-4 good years out of him before his knee gives out, so be it. Right?  Ran likely wants to reset the RB salary on this team to the point where we just keep drafting new ones every 2-3 years. Keep costs low and RB fresh and young. 

RB gets paid some money and maybe earn a deal elsewhere. Maybe become a trade assest. 

I'm not worried about his knee. It would be different if he were a corner or edge rusher that is harder to find. 

Exactly. I keep seeing how he might not be able to play past his first contract, yet so many are against giving RBs a second contract anyway. If you want to argue about the value of picking a RB in the 3rd, ok I get. The longterm concerns of a knee for a RB being a constant talking point, I don’t.

• Like 1

Just now, TitanSlim said:

Exactly. I keep seeing how he might not be able to play past his first contract, yet so many are against giving RBs a second contract anyway. If you want to argue about the value of picking a RB in the 3rd, ok I get. The longterm concerns of a knee for a RB being a constant talking point, I don’t.

Yeah. I think this is really the best thing for the franchise and maybe move us to a more modern offense. 

If we aren't tied down to a mega deal with a RB, we don't have to justify the deal by running him 30 times a game. 

Imagine having a RB that doesn't have to come off the field on 3rd down. Doesn't need a Power I or whatever to function. We could finally transform into a more balance offense. 

We'd still run the ball but it wouldn't be as obvious. 

Even with all our heavy running we still were only the 13th rushing team in the league last year. But it feels like more. 

If we could run it like a Philly, San Fran, or Dallas that would be great because it doesn't "feel" like they are so run based. 

• Like 1

Also think because he’s not a WR and he’s a “backup” his immediate impact is being undersold. He’s already a good pass catching and pass blocker, so he should come in day one as our third down back. He’s in that Dontrell Hilliard role but should provide even more upside as a runner.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Also think because he’s not a WR and he’s a “backup” his immediate impact is being undersold. He’s already a good pass catching and pass blocker, so he should come in day one as our third down back. He’s in that Dontrell Hilliard role but should provide even more upside as a runner.

Yeah.  His routes at the Senior Bowl were nassssty. 

38 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

& that’s where I’m at the value of picking him in the 3rd 

Yeah, he looked good on the field, and Jay Ajayi had a solid, but short career.  If I trusted our offense to spell Henry with him, I wouldn't care so much about the knee.  But I worry he's just going to spend his career with us injured because we've done a terrible job managing injuries.  And the value just isn't there for me.  Would you rather have Spears and Whyle, or say we flipped those picks and got Darnell Washington and Chase Brown?

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, he looked good on the field, and Jay Ajayi had a solid, but short career.  If I trusted our offense to spell Henry with him, I wouldn't care so much about the knee.  But I worry he's just going to spend his career with us injured because we've done a terrible job managing injuries.  And the value just isn't there for me.  Would you rather have Spears and Whyle, or say we flipped those picks and got Darnell Washington and Chase Brown?

I wanted Darnell Washington he reminds me of a more explosive Martellus Bennett I thought he would be perfect as a in line TE to chig

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I didn't love Washington as much as others and apparently the league didn't either. He had some highlight plays, but I think overall the more I dug into him, he wasn't as complete as he was hyped to be and apparently he has injury issues also. 

I'd rather have Spears and Whyle out of your options given. 

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I didn't love Washington as much as others and apparently the league didn't either. He had some highlight plays, but I think overall the more I dug into him, he wasn't as complete as he was hyped to be and apparently he has injury issues also. 

I'd rather have Spears and Whyle out of your options given. 

I'm 99% confident he only fell where he did because of injury issues, and apples to apples, the pick we made has no ACL.

OK then.

Just now, Daniel said:

I'm 99% confident he only fell where he did because of injury issues, and apples to apples, the pick we made has no ACL.

OK then.

One plays a very easy to replace position and the other doesn't.