2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Dan Pompeii, in his latest piece, is yet another reporter connected to some scouts/former GMs/NFL personnel people and Roquan Smith is being pimped heavily. I'm hearing Ray Lewis comps all over the place.

Won't shock me if this is the move.

Is ILB a value at 8?

Throw value out. Take whoever is going to be a stud on defense.

Is Smith is Ray Lewis and Davenport is a 6-8 sack guy then I would much rather have Ray Lewis.

My guess is the Bears will heavily consider him.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Is Smith is Ray Lewis and Davenport is a 6-8 sack guy then I would much rather have Ray Lewis.

What I don't like about that is it takes a young (I'll argue ascending) Nick Kwiatkoski and puts him on the bench.

Just now, TankWilliams said:

When did the table flip and everyone seemingly forgot about Tremaine Edmunds in favor of Roquan smith?  Am I missing something that happened to devalue Edmunds?  

Smith is the safer pick. He's a sure tackler, leader and "you know what you're getting." Edmunds might be moved around or kept inside but "you don't know what you're getting."

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do like Smith a lot, but I'm not sure he gets by Indy at 6.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

What I don't like about that is it takes a young (I'll argue ascending) Nick Kwiatkoski and puts him on the bench.

Is Nick Kwaitowski anything more than ascending to solid starter? Is Nick K ever going to be a difference maker?

One could argue that Lynch has flashed more in his career at OLB than Nick K has at ILB.

4 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

When did the table flip and everyone seemingly forgot about Tremaine Edmunds in favor of Roquan smith?  Am I missing something that happened to devalue Edmunds?  

Smith is a better player. Less risk. You know what he does well translates. Edmunds you are projecting that he can add something as a pass rusher.

Is Nick Kwaitowski anything more than ascending to solid starter? Is Nick K ever going to be a difference maker?

One could argue that Lynch has flashed more in his career at OLB than Nick K has at ILB.

PFF had him as the #17 LB in the NFL last season.

6 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Instincts. Pace said it's one of the first things he looks at when evaluating ILBs. Smith is dripping with it, Edmunds (fairly or not) is lacking it at 19 years of age.

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

PFF had him as the #17 LB in the NFL last season.

Solid starter.

At some point we are going to start moving from solid starter at positions to impact player. It is the natural progression of a rebuild.

Nick K, Adrian Amos, Aaron Lynch are all guys who will lose their jobs in that progression. 

Solid starter.

At some point we are going to start moving from solid starter at positions to impact player. It is the natural progression of a rebuild.

Nick K, Adrian Amos, Aaron Lynch are all guys who will lose their jobs in that progression. 

How do you develop young talent by putting them on the bench?

Unless you want to put Trevathan there?

Picking a player at ILB seems like too much of a luxury for me.  Kwit is not a world beater (yet), but hasn't proven to be a major weakness either.  This is a team with plenty of areas of weakness, and I think taking OL, Pass rusher, DB, or even WR should be considered before replacing a guy like kwit.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

How do you develop young talent by putting them on the bench?

Unless you want to put Trevathan there?

I am not concerned with developing Nick K if I draft Roquan.

I am significantly upgrading the position with someone most count as being a true difference maker at the position. Kwit just means I am going to have really good depth for when Trevathan gets banged up.

Edited by WindyCity

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Picking a player at ILB seems like too much of a luxury for me.  Kwit is not a world beater (yet), but hasn't proven to be a major weakness either.  This is a team with plenty of areas of weakness, and I think taking OL, Pass rusher, DB, or even WR should be considered before replacing a guy like kwit.

It cannot be about patching the most glaring weaknesses on the team at 8.

It needs to be about an impact player.

Having a team of solid starters is not what the Bears need, they need some guys who are better than everyone else.

Just now, WindyCity said:

It cannot be about patching the most glaring weaknesses on the team at 8.

It needs to be about an impact player.

Having a team of solid starters is not what the Bears need, they need some guys who are better than everyone else.

Agreed, however, at 8 I think there will be plenty of other solid options to go for.  I'd take Nelson if he's available.  Then there are a few DB's like Ward, or guys like Edmunds who could potentially project at outside, or the ability to trade down.  I think I'd rather trade down and cultivate more picks than feel like I have to take ILB just because thats the only position that has "impact players" at that pick.

4 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Agreed, however, at 8 I think there will be plenty of other solid options to go for.  I'd take Nelson if he's available.  Then there are a few DB's like Ward, or guys like Edmunds who could potentially project at outside, or the ability to trade down.  I think I'd rather trade down and cultivate more picks than feel like I have to take ILB just because thats the only position that has "impact players" at that pick.

The Bears have been bad for so long that we get lulled into not worrying about having star players and instead are okay with solid players. At some point we are going to replace solid players with guys who make a difference.

If you draft Ward he would essentially replace Bryce Callahan, who is a very solid and highly graded slot CB.

If you draft Roquan, you are replacing Nick K who has looked solid when he has played.

If you draft Davenport or Edmunds you are replacing Aaron Lynch who has every physical tool you look for and produced when he started in SF.

No matter what we are going to be sending a solid young player to the bench in the hope that the 8th pick is an actual difference maker.