2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

25 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

tell me that's the dilemma with drafting Penix also. You have to protect him if you draft him

I think if you drafts Penix your next pick is a RT and you’re also heavily looking at trading back up into the first round to get them. 

1 minute ago, FloydFan said:

I think if you drafts Penix your next pick is a RT and you’re also heavily looking at trading back up into the first round to get them. 

That's exactly what I mean. Is that there better be a plan to protect the guy. If not it's of course going to fail for multiple reasons. 

10 hours ago, Totty said:

I am starting to see the point of building the roster over trading up for a QB. While I would still love to go get our guy, I ask the group this question...

Is there a trade scenario where we could move back, acquire a first next year (+) while filling some needs, and focus on Drew Allar or Shadeur Sanders next year using said extra capital to move up?  

My fear is the better we do this coming season  the worse our picks will be to be able to move up thus becoming more expensive to get our guy.  

Also, of next years QB class, who is the top notch prospect?  

@Frankie2Gunz @Jeremy408

I'm sure there is a trade scenario where we can move back and acquire a 1st however it is unlikely, possible but unlikely.  I also think with our drafting history we can't get cute.  There will most likely be good CB value at 13 and a trade back into the mid 20's that value would be gone.  If we want to acquire another 1st this year the only logical option is to move Adams which I am all for.  He does not make this team a contender and we need to get younger.  

In terms of next years QB class you're asking the wrong guy.  I don't watch much college football and only around draft time I choose to study positional value and a few players I think the Raiders could/should target within that realm.  

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think Miller could/would move to RT if we drafted a pure LT (Fashanu), but a lot of the high-end T's in this draft seem to be better RT options even. Might not have to move anyone really.

There's no such thing as a pure left tackle or right tackle. There are too many examples of players playing both well (Sewell, Lane Johnson, Paris Johnson, etc.). In fact, both Eluemenor and Munford played both pretty well last year. In my mind, a tackle who can only play one side probably can't play tackle very well.

48 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

That's exactly what I mean. Is that there better be a plan to protect the guy. If not it's of course going to fail for multiple reasons. 

I think it’s a significantly better plan compared to waiting on a QB. RTs are a dime a dozen compared to QBs. 

49 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

I think it’s a significantly better plan compared to waiting on a QB. RTs are a dime a dozen compared to QBs. 

That is the way I look at it. My thing is if we pass on panics at 13 and say Seattle(who has the guy who coached him at Washington calling the plays) picks him at 16 and he plays good as a rookie everyone on here is gonna be mad

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

That is the way I look at it. My thing is if we pass on panics at 13 and say Seattle(who has the guy who coached him at Washington calling the plays) picks him at 16 and he plays good as a rookie everyone on here is gonna be mad

Agreed. I don’t even take Seattle into the equation at this point. Nobody we take there has the potential to change the team like a star QB and Penix (while he has worts) does have that potential. 

11 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Agreed. I don’t even take Seattle into the equation at this point. Nobody we take there has the potential to change the team like a star QB and Penix (while he has worts) does have that potential. 

That's also true. And of course we wouldn't have to move up to do it. It has the highest impact for sure. I actually never thought of that part of it(not that I didn't know that quarterback is the most important position on the team. I just didn't think of drafting Penix at 13 as the move with the highest ceiling). While at the same time, most likely not having to move up. Great point

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

That's also true. And of course we wouldn't have to move up to do it. It has the highest impact for sure. I actually never thought of that part of it(not that I didn't know that quarterback is the most important position on the team. I just didn't think of drafting Penix at 13 as the move with the highest ceiling). While at the same time, most likely not having to move up. Great point

I appreciate it brother. I just like the value of it more while trying to improve the biggest black hole on the team. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

I appreciate it brother. I just like the value of it more while trying to improve the biggest black hole on the team. 

Makes sense. That's said if we did that. Which RTs do you think would be available at 44. And how do you go about getting a corner.

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Makes sense. That's said if we did that. Which RTs do you think would be available at 44. And how do you go about getting a corner.

I guess it depends on how the board falls of course, but in terms of prospects expected to be there I like Suamataia and Morgan. I would however prefer to make a small trade up and grab a tackle that falls in a deep class. I can see a top fifteen projected one there at around 20-25 that would be worth the trade up for me. As for corner I’d like to trade for a guy on a larger contract if we don’t trade up from our second for a tackle. It should be doable and would allow us to sacrifice more in cap as opposed to draft capital. If that’s not available I’d prefer to probably use that cap to sign a few lottery tickets like White, etc while taking a third round guy and try to maybe at the end of the day build depth as opposed to a true lockdown guy and hope the improved pass rush along with better depth shakes out in the aggregate.