Who This Guy Would Have Drafted

DR43

Who draft would you have gone with?   

3 members have voted

1. 1. Who draft would you have gone with?

• This Guy's draft
    • Steelers' draft

On 5/3/2023 at 1:23 PM, jebrick said:

If he can play 2 gap then someone needs to show me the film where he did it.  all the film I see of him is 1 gap.

Watch him vs tOSU or Michigan.  He is erased.  Vs tOSU, on a goal line stand in the 1st quarter, he is walked into the endzone on a single block by the freshman guard.  Not saying he can't learn this stuff but when his highlight reel is games vs Rutgers, Minnesota and Northwestern, you look at him vs teams with Olinemen that will get drafted. 

They can use him as a 3 tech or like they used Hargraves but at the moment, Benton has no sand in his pants to hold the line.  He is a penetrator not a person who is taking on 2 blockers ( that is Loudermilk).

First off--my apologies; he is a better pass rusher than against the run, but he is effective against the run when he gets upfield quickly, through the line.  And you are correct, O-Tech is not his strength, per se, though he has had some success there--he's not completely inept when asked to take on a double-team. Usually, however, he typically ends up squirting through it.

Anyway, I obviously confused his tape with some other draft prospect's film I watched; you are correct, he is actually a fantastic 3T, and shows great promise in the pass rush game.

I do believe, however, that they might look to him as a NT...I did see on Ourlads, that they have him slotted as a NT, so I guess we'll see how they try to implement him.

Edited by Ward4HOF

Fehoko is a NT but if Benton isn't a NT, don't try to make him one. Instead, use his skills accordingly and move on.  The NFL isn't the place to learn a new position for most, a bit  difficult to say the least. 

Is there a chance they go to more 1 gap scheme and let players like Marshall and Benton breakthrough and attack?

14 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

First off--my apologies; he is a better pass rusher than against the run, but he is effective against the run when he gets upfield quickly, through the line.  And you are correct, O-Tech is not his strength, per se, though he has had some success there--he's not completely inept when asked to take on a double-team. Usually, however, he typically ends up squirting through it.

Anyway, I obviously confused his tape with some other draft prospect's film I watched; you are correct, he is actually a fantastic 3T, and shows great promise in the pass rush game.

I do believe, however, that they might look to him as a NT...I did see on Ourlads, that they have him slotted as a NT, so I guess we'll see how they try to implement him.

I feel like they said he was gonna be NT on draft day. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I feel like they said he was gonna be NT on draft day. 

You are correct, sir.  Teryl Austin did mention that they'd try him out inside, but also, gvie him a chance to move around a bit on passing downs; I had not gotten through all the videos as of yet, so thanks for pointing that out.

21 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Fehoko is a NT but if Benton isn't a NT, don't try to make him one. Instead, use his skills accordingly and move on.  The NFL isn't the place to learn a new position for most, a bit  difficult to say the least. 

Is there a chance they go to more 1 gap scheme and let players like Marshall and Benton breakthrough and attack?

He moved all up and down the line at Wisconsin.  He played the Nose, plenty.  It's a matter of if he can consistently plug the hole as a 2-gap guy, yet, get opportunities on obvious passing downs to go after the QB.  From his film you can see that he has done more of the latter, than the former, but he's not completely inept as that 2-gap defender.

My point is, it's not so much as 'learning', as it is, whether he can do it consistently, I believe.

4 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

You are correct, sir.  Teryl Austin did mention that they'd try him out inside, but also, gvie him a chance to move around a bit on passing downs; I had not gotten through all the videos as of yet, so thanks for pointing that out.

Let's not forget there are different types of NTs. Some that stack and some that penetrate. I can never remember the Cowboys NT from about 10-12 years ago that played NT and was a penetrater. He was pretty lean and really disruptive. So point being, depending on scheme, he can absolutely play there. However, in our current scheme, I think he could be a Tuitt like DE. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Let's not forget there are different types of NTs. Some that stack and some that penetrate. I can never remember the Cowboys NT from about 10-12 years ago that played NT and was a penetrater. He was pretty lean and really disruptive. So point being, depending on scheme, he can absolutely play there. However, in our current scheme, I think he could be a Tuitt like DE. 

Jay Ratliff

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

naked gun lol GIF by IFC

For a short period of time (3 years or so) he was a monster. 

Unfortunately It was 15+ years ago. I’d feel a lot better if it was 10-12 like you said lol

I remember the great NT debates from back then. Hampton vs Ratliff vs Jamal Williams vs Kris Jenkins vs Ngata. There were probably more that I’m forgetting too. Definitely a different era. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Unfortunately It was 15+ years ago. I’d feel a lot better if it was 10-12 like you said lol

I remember the great NT debates from back then. Hampton vs Ratliff vs Jamal Williams vs Kris Jenkins vs Ngata. There were probably more that I’m forgetting too. Definitely a different era. 

we are getting old. Prolly a few more years and hours on here than expected but thats nothing new I guess.

different game now indeed. It might turn into best secondary  debates instead of best NT's. As for  those NT's above, nobody in the league now compares in the run game to  them actually. Reader would be 'close' if that makes sense.  To think the old NT used to constantly have to occupy 2 OL on known running plays and to hold up for a career is quite a feat

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

old man relax GIF

Well I feel older.  Very different styles amongst those players.  Ngata and Hampton tho really dominated for long periods time.  Ahhhh, the good ol days.  

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Ahhhh, the good ol days. 

Call me crazy, but I don't particularly miss having to see our OL have to lineup against Haloti Ngata for the dozen years or so he played with Terrall Suggs...(I don't think Ben missed those years, either, lol)...ugh...

37 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Call me crazy, but I don't particularly miss having to see our OL have to lineup against Haloti Ngata for the dozen years or so he played with Terrall Suggs...(I don't think Ben missed those years, either, lol)...ugh...

More specifically, that time of football. Polamalu all over the place, Harrison and Woodley destroying QBs, no one rushing for 100 yards and Hines Ward breaking LB jaws. Those WERE the days. But yeah, the Ravens games were blood baths but sooo satisfying when the Steelers came away with the W. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

More specifically, that time of football. Polamalu all over the place, Harrison and Woodley destroying QBs, no one rushing for 100 yards and Hines Ward breaking LB jaws. Those WERE the days. But yeah, the Ravens games were blood baths but sooo satisfying when the Steelers came away with the W. 

for fans like us, this new era of the nfl is on it's last thread, it's nearing a flag league at times especially with how they want to protect the QB's . The old Steelers vs Ravens games were the highlight of our season and neutral fans probably liked those games too so the NFL won those games. 

I doubt I will be able to watch the game 10 years from now if it keeps progressing like this, but not much to do about that other than wait.  

• Like 1