Who This Guy Would Have Drafted

DR43

Who draft would you have gone with?   

3 members have voted

1. 1. Who draft would you have gone with?

• This Guy's draft
    • Steelers' draft

It's hard to find fault in this draft.  Round 1, 2, and 3 would all remain the same in my book.

If I could tweak it, I would have went with Safety Antonio Johnson in round 4.  Johnson would have filled a more pressing need and could certainly matchup well with the new age TEs.  I have no problem with Herbig but preferred Johnson instead.

At the time, I probably would have went with Eli Rogers in round 7.  But with the advantage of hindsight I am awfully intrigued with Cory Trice.   I would stick with Trice if I had to go with one or the other.

The only other change I would make is Andre Carter II at 7b.  He would have been a massive steal.  For what it's worth numerous prospect rankings listed Carter higher than Herbig.  Perhaps Carter fell due to his lack of speed but a poor 40 time can be expected when you're 6'7.

Edited by DR43

This draft appears to have gone well. 

I did see some nice picks in later rounds and hope in future drafts we have a few picks later on. We were missing picks this year so the trade down was a good idea. 

Carter seemed like a good idea, but they have Leal and Herbig and it appears thats enough especially if they get a PS player  from UDFA. No idea why he fell, but someone got a player that probably will make  the 53 for the team that signed him. Last year we had Warren make the 53 and do well. Teams have good UDFA signings,  see who we have this year

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Carter is very very raw and had a serious lack of explosiveness he should really stick to the Army.  I would not pick him up as an UDFA.

How about Ivan Pace Jr. in lieu of Carter?

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I would have taken Pace

would you try to get more RD7 picks in future drafts so you can make sure to land some of these soon to be UDFA's?

Which 4 ILB's make the 53 man roster? I expect Holcomb, Roberts, Robertson and Crowder but  what do you guys think?

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Even if we had more picks doesnt mean we would have taken Pace over other players.

it offers the chance anyways, prevent other teams from signing these players first whoever they are. A few teams did this, but I think the downsides are a bit more cost for the contracts.

It shouldn't matter that much though, Khan and Weidl got lots of players in UFA and there appears to be at least decent depth across the roster I would even say that the reserve ILB's are better than the starters we had last year, look at my avatar for a friendly reminder. CB was  taken care of with Patrick replacing Sutton, and then 2 draft picks. If Witherspoon rebounds and stays healthy, there are lots of CB's here, yet they still signed a few more. IOL, OT, and most of all it finally looks as though IDL is getting corrected after how many years of sub-standard players for this.  Fehoko should replace Adams. Benton will replace Loudermilk who never did anything here. Hopefully they find a way to get Marshall on the field too, and see how Watts ends up. This now appears to have depth and quality starters with Cam and Larry returning.

now we have to wait 5 months , almost half a year  for the season to start o.O

22 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Benton will replace Loudermilk who never did anything here.

I hope it's Benton who will replace Adams; Loudermilk is just a reserve/back-up type, so bumping Loudermilk down to 3rd team, or off the roster, leaving Benton as just a backup does little to help our D.  In the Base package, it needs to be Ogunjobi and Heyward on either side of Benton, then, in sub-packages, if we go down to 2 DL, then play the best 2, or play the 2 who need the least amount of rest,or something to that effect.  Fehoko was signed as back-up...maybe as insurance as starter, if we failed to address the NT position...

38 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I hope it's Benton who will replace Adams; Loudermilk is just a reserve/back-up type, so bumping Loudermilk down to 3rd team, or off the roster, leaving Benton as just a backup does little to help our D.  In the Base package, it needs to be Ogunjobi and Heyward on either side of Benton, then, in sub-packages, if we go down to 2 DL, then play the best 2, or play the 2 who need the least amount of rest,or something to that effect.  Fehoko was signed as back-up...maybe as insurance as starter, if we failed to address the NT position...

Benton to get a fair share of snaps for sure, just not sure how much if Cam and Larry are healthy.  I also don't know the % of 3-4 as opposed to 4-3 either. I like the Benton pick, and agree he is Tuitt like so thats going to help.  Loudermilk might be early cut if others are good enough, he probably has a foot out the door as long as the others aren't injured. Marshall better not get cut in favour of loudermilk. If anything, they shoudl find a way to utilize Marshall in 1 gap schemes at times to mix things up a bit and since he is disruptive that way.  Fehoko better replace Adams, time for Adams to move on , part of the makeover this team is having in the trenches.  Khan and Weidl weren't kidding when they talked about the trenches. 

The additions of Fehoko , Benton, and then ILB's Roberts and Holcomb should really improve the run defence. Scoring more on offence will also keep run defence stats a bit lower too. 

Benton needs to get better.  He and Loudermilk do different things.  Loudermilk plays 2 gap well and can hold the line.  Benton plays single gap and is erased by decent college linemen in the run game.  Benton has a much better pass rush than Loudermilk.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

Benton to get a fair share of snaps for sure, just not sure how much if Cam and Larry are healthy.  I also don't know the % of 3-4 as opposed to 4-3 either. I like the Benton pick, and agree he is Tuitt like so thats going to help.

I see him being a bit differently.  I don't think the 5T is his future, here...maybe it is, IDK, but my understanding, at least, immediately, would that he'd garner more O-tech, or 1-tech/3-tech.  My point I guess, is that I don't care what you call him, but he should be out one of the 3 bodies out there, when we play 3 DL...Ogunjobi, Benton, and Heyward.  I don't see Ogunjobi or Heyward as being an obsticle to getting snaps.  I guess we'll see how how they want to play it, once the season starts.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Benton needs to get better.  He and Loudermilk do different things.  Loudermilk plays 2 gap well and can hold the line.  Benton plays single gap and is erased by decent college linemen in the run game.  Benton has a much better pass rush than Loudermilk.

That's not what I had seen/noticed/heard/read regarding Benton, which is that he can play O-tech/2-gap, even if he's better at 1-gap, right now, but is  better in run support than pass rush...that' interesting...I guess we'll no more when training camp starts, and pre-season.  I guess I should keep my expectations open, regarding Benton, if what you are say is correct.

If he can play 2 gap then someone needs to show me the film where he did it.  all the film I see of him is 1 gap.

Watch him vs tOSU or Michigan.  He is erased.  Vs tOSU, on a goal line stand in the 1st quarter, he is walked into the endzone on a single block by the freshman guard.  Not saying he can't learn this stuff but when his highlight reel is games vs Rutgers, Minnesota and Northwestern, you look at him vs teams with Olinemen that will get drafted. 

They can use him as a 3 tech or like they used Hargraves but at the moment, Benton has no sand in his pants to hold the line.  He is a penetrator not a person who is taking on 2 blockers ( that is Loudermilk).

Edited by jebrick

39 minutes ago, jebrick said:

He is a penetrator not a person who is taking on 2 blockers ( that is Loudermilk).

Or Fehoko.

I think we've got the guys to allow Benton to refine his craft. He's also not a very crafty pass rusher. He doesn't have any moves other than be stronger and quicker than the other guy. I have faith he'll develop into a really quality player, though. I trust Dunbar and Cam.