2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know how Health hasn't made the team already.

Dubose probably needs an injury to happen so we can stash on IR.

Or maybe that is Wicks if he can't come back quickly.

But that WR room that looked, uh, suspect, is now looking pretty good top to bottom.

Which means it'll suck when we have 2 first rounders next year, a great WR is sitting there looking at us and we take defense twice.

I have long been against taking WR's in round one but........ if Marvin Harrison Jr. is there when we use the Jets selection in the top 5, you run the card to the podium and don't think twice about it. Regardless of how good our WR room looks. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Yeah, I just don't see "it" with Van Ness. Could be Dean Lowery 2.0. I hope I'm wrong, but if the light doesn't come on by the end of the season, he may come back in 2024 as a DLineman. 

I was hoping that he would push for some serious snaps this year.  But now, I think it would be wise to put him on the Rashan Gary program of being brought along slowly.

About the one thing I've seen from him is effort, so far.

But he's still just so young.....

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I have long been against taking WR's in round one but........ if Marvin Harrison Jr. is there when we use the Jets selection in the top 5, you run the card to the podium and don't think twice about it. Regardless of how good our WR room looks. 

Our front office will not.

12 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

The guy the Packers would take would be Olu Fashanu, the OT from Penn St. And rightly so.

Trotting out Watson, Reed, Harrison Jr., Musgrave, A. Jones and Love behind a very good offensive line would by unstoppable. 

I have no doubt Fashanu is going to be an excellent player, but Harrison is 12 years and into the HOF good. He might be the second coming of Jerry Rice. 

27 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

There are exceptions to every rule. 

Not really in this case.  I wish I could say otherwise, but thinking so really refutes about 21 years of drafting from GB.  And goes back to a GM who was way over his head in those duties.

27 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

The guy the Packers would take would be Olu Fashanu, the OT from Penn St. And rightly so.

Nijman is likely gone.  Bakh?  I don't know.  Maybe 50/50 that he is gone?

I can see tackle, for sure.

I can also see other premiums like pass rushing DL or corner.

While I'd love a WR, especially Harrison, I just don't feel like our front office will.  But, we shall see.

If they wanted the perfect compliment to what they already had at WR, it was staring them in the face this year.  

57 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Honestly don't know why Deguara is still on the roster. Too small, too slow, not a lot of football savvy. I'd rather keep a true FB like Pearson and pick up another true TE.

Throwing away one guy for two means you're gonna have to throw a second person away to stay at 53, so unless that true TE is total gangbusters it's going to be a net loss.

That and, for all your complaints about Deguara, I've seen nothing that indicates Pearson is in any way an improvement. I definitely would've said otherwise if we got Hunter instead, but that's just bias on my part.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Nijman is likely gone.  Bakh?  I don't know.  Maybe 50/50 that he is gone?

I can see tackle, for sure.

I can also see other premiums like pass rushing DL or corner.

While I'd love a WR, especially Harrison, I just don't feel like our front office will.  But, we shall see.

If they wanted the perfect compliment to what they already had at WR, it was staring them in the face this year.  

Nijman has a better chance of getting extended during this season and being back than Bak has of being back. His cap # is 40 million next year. He refused to work with the Packers this off season to lower it. If he's still healthy, he's going to NY next year, no doubt about it. He won't be working with the Packers to lower that number next season either. 

47 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Our front office will not.

In fairness, our Front Office in the last twenty years has only been challenged in this manner technically once, when we drafted AJ Hawk 5th over Vernon Davis(a TE but still) in '06. Maybe also in '09 when we picked BJ Raji 9th over Michael Crabtree, but we were loaded with promise at WR already that year. Every other reasonably middle-to-high 1st rounder we've had has come when no real projected elite talent was available at WR(Santonio Holmes comes the closest in '06, but he was 25th overall)

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Nijman has a better chance of getting extended during this season and being back than Bak has of being back. His cap # is 40 million next year. He refused to work with the Packers this off season to lower it. If he's still healthy, he's going to NY next year, no doubt about it. He won't be working with the Packers to lower that number next season either. 

Going off of the assumption that Rodgers plays for the Jets next year?  And isn't in a bodybag?

We are the team that paid Chad Clifton to protect young Rodgers.  And the team that kept Bulaga in bubble wrap to protect Rodgers.

We have a history of paying older, yet very good tackles.

That's why I'm at 50/50.  I don't know how long Rodgers will be there.  I don't know how long Bakh really wants to play anymore.  Just a coin flip for me.  Certainly finances swing towards him not being here, but that can be remedied easily, especially if this team performs well to keep Bakhtiari interested.

Just now, Zycho32 said:

In fairness, our Front Office in the last twenty years has only been challenged in this manner technically once, when we drafted AJ Hawk 5th over Vernon Davis(a TE but still) in '06. Maybe also in '09 when we picked BJ Raji 9th over Michael Crabtree, but we were loaded with promise at WR already that year. Every other reasonably middle-to-high 1st rounder we've had has come when no real projected elite talent was available at WR(Santonio Holmes comes the closest in '06, but he was 25th overall)

Well, there was JSN this year.

There was the Savage reach with other good WR's on the board.

Didn't we take Bulaga over Dez Bryant?  

Just now, vegas492 said:

Well, there was JSN this year.

There was the Savage reach with other good WR's on the board.

Didn't we take Bulaga over Dez Bryant?  

You're talking about the middle-to-late 1st rounders. I believe the guy you were replying to was calling Marvin Harrison jr. a "Top 5 Overall" talent and assuming the Jets would do so horribly we get into the Top 5 next year?

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Going off of the assumption that Rodgers plays for the Jets next year?  And isn't in a bodybag?

We are the team that paid Chad Clifton to protect young Rodgers.  And the team that kept Bulaga in bubble wrap to protect Rodgers.

We have a history of paying older, yet very good tackles.

That's why I'm at 50/50.  I don't know how long Rodgers will be there.  I don't know how long Bakh really wants to play anymore.  Just a coin flip for me.  Certainly finances swing towards him not being here, but that can be remedied easily, especially if this team performs well to keep Bakhtiari interested.

We had willing players who wanted to remain in GB in the instances you speak of. Bak wants out of GB but he's not being vocal about it. If he was interested in staying beyond this year, we would have worked with the organization to lower his cap number this year. 

He didn't, he's not going to be on the roster at 40 million next year, so he's gone. You can bookmark this post if you want.