NFL international games 2023

Trentwannabe

23 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

How is it not the solution? Under 5 miles? Same hotels and everything.

Seems like its all based on who rear the NFL wants to kiss. The owner of Club America is a media giant. Uni Stadium is just a random Unis Stadium. People get screwed cause the NFL is to busy politician.

sounds like you answered your own question tbh.

The NFL has several reasons for doing these international games, but the least of these are enabling local fans to see a game in-person.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Fair. I think the excuses I've seen the most from both Bills fans and national media is that the Bills hit an emotional wall and just had nothing left to give.

I don't necessarily buy into that because the Bengals were just clearly the better team that day (and looked to be during the regular season game as well). But I would also like to think the Bills can put up a better fight then what they showed in the divisional round. 

As for the London game, I still see it as advantage Bills even if it is a neutral sight possibly leaning Jags "home crowd".

There’s no crowd advantage to be gained here for NFL games. You might see more jags jerseys, but they won’t be loud. They’d be better hiring the ultras of a soccer team, ask them to pretend to be jags fans and really generate some advantage. 

London stadiums are always full of fans of all teams. 

Edited by Hunter2_1

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

fire celebration GIF by BC Lietuvos Rytas

i was in there for example: 

the part with „buying ultras“ was, what bothered me really 😁 that being said, the british soccer fans are not ultras. different culture, different style of support.

but anyway, enough soccer talk, sorry

My picks for Melbourne, Sydney and Tokyo this year would have been:

Melbourne: Las Vegas at LA Chargers
Sydney: Pittsburgh at Baltimore (played weeks apart from Ravens-Titans in London)
Tokyo: Seattle at Cincinnati

This would make half the international slate be conference games, and the other half would be divided equally between division games and interconference games.

When Mexico City returns, I want the nine international games I am proposing to be split equally between division, conference, and interconference games.

Given Joe Burrow was born in 1996, I wouldn't be surprised if he grew up with Pokemon. Thus, he probably would have loved to play in Tokyo.

Edited by pf9

Australia is a must. Rich pool of athletes there. Far East Asians will probably never play football en masse although you may develop some kickers or niche players from there. 

The problem with Melbourne is the time zone. If you do it Sunday local, the game will have to air on Saturday really late night. And it would be too hot in December, because NFL can’t play Saturday games until December.

Another option is TNF if Melbourne can host an NFL game on a Friday morning on a local Holiday or whatever. But a short week means teams would certainly need a bye around that game. The opening Week 1 game is the best part of the calendar perhaps.

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

Australia is a must. Rich pool of athletes there. Far East Asians will probably never play football en masse although you may develop some kickers or niche players from there. 

The problem with Melbourne is the time zone. If you do it Sunday local, the game will have to air on Saturday really late night. And it would be too hot in December, because NFL can’t play Saturday games until December.

Another option is TNF if Melbourne can host an NFL game on a Friday morning on a local Holiday or whatever. But a short week means teams would certainly need a bye around that game. The opening Week 1 game is the best part of the calendar perhaps.

Games outside the US aren't covered by the law that says the NFL can't play on Saturdays until December AFAIK

20 hours ago, pf9 said:

Games outside the US aren't covered by the law that says the NFL can't play on Saturdays until December AFAIK

Good to know, I just don’t think the NFL wants to air an after dark game on Saturday with so many of their TV partners airing college games in that window.

I don’t see Australia unless it’s literally the opener or week 5 on TNF involving the week 4 bye teams. Another thing to consider is a TNF double header with an after dark international game in the far east.

Edited by WheatieMan

17 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Good to know, I just don’t think the NFL wants to air an after dark game on Saturday with so many of their TV partners airing college games in that window.

I don’t see Australia unless it’s literally the opener or week 5 on TNF involving the week 4 bye teams. Another thing to consider is a TNF double header with an after dark international game in the far east.

NFL already goes up against CFB on most Thursdays and some bowl game Saturdays. And there's going to be more competition like that as the CFP expands to 12 teams.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 9:01 PM, pf9 said:

My picks for Melbourne, Sydney and Tokyo this year would have been:

Melbourne: Las Vegas at LA Chargers
Sydney: Pittsburgh at Baltimore (played weeks apart from Ravens-Titans in London)
Tokyo: Seattle at Cincinnati

This would make half the international slate be conference games, and the other half would be divided equally between division games and interconference games.

When Mexico City returns, I want the nine international games I am proposing to be split equally between division, conference, and interconference games.

Given Joe Burrow was born in 1996, I wouldn't be surprised if he grew up with Pokemon. Thus, he probably would have loved to play in Tokyo.

Two things.  The Bengals were never going to play an international game this year after only having seven home games last year after the Hamlin injury.\

Having interconference games in Europe is stupid.  We last hosted washington there, meaning we will have gone 16 years since last playing them when they next return to our place, assuming we don't get matched up in the 17th game.  Now, if they chose to use the 17th game as the international game, I can live with that one.  So if we hadn't lost the home game last year, I'd have been more OK with "hosting" Minnesota this year than either NFCW team on the rotation schedule.