Super Bowl 60 to Santa Clara

pf9

3 minutes ago, Acgott said:

The city of Cleveland has already accepted a settlement in regards to the Ravens moving to Baltimore.

And they should have instead fought to force Modell to sell the Browns to an owner willing to keep the team in Cleveland in exchange for Modell getting a version of the Ravens built through an expansion draft, with the Browns playing home games at Ohio State for three years while the new stadium is built, where they could have enjoyed all the OSU gameday traditions. If that had happened the Browns would have been in better shape over the years.

Edited by pf9

Just now, Acgott said:

Again, MetLife stadium was a brand new stadium. Why can’t the Browns build a new one?

Again, MetLife being new had nothing to do with it. Again, the NFL wanted to try out a Super Bowl at a cold weather venue, and it was a success.

A comparable situation would be Charlotte's NBA team. From 1993-2002, the Hornets made the playoffs 7 times in 10 seasons. Then they shut down for two years as the team now called the New Orleans Pelicans took over the Hornets personnel. Since coming back, Charlotte has only been to the playoffs three times, and never in consecutive seasons. Like the Browns did after coming back from hiatus, the Hornets (or Bobcats as they were called then) achieved a league record-low winning percentage, .106 (7-59) in the lockout-shortened 2011-12 season. The Browns went 0-16 in 2017, being the third even modern era NFL team to go without a win or tie, and in the process became the first NFL team to fail to improve on a 1-15 season. Previously, the record for losses by a team who failed to improve the subsequent season was 14, set by the 1985 Buccaneers who lost 14 in 1986 as well.

Meanwhile the Pelicans have fared better somewhat since 2002-03, making 8 playoff appearances, including two times making them in consecutive seasons.

Of course back in 2002 this was treated as a move of the Hornets to New Orleans, with the Bobcats originally being considered a 2004 expansion team.

Edited by pf9

13 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Again, MetLife being new had nothing to do with it. Again, the NFL wanted to try out a Super Bowl at a cold weather venue, and it was a success.

It was a important reason. On top of it being the BIGGEST market. Cleveland is one of the SMALLEST

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pf9 said:

And they should have instead fought to force Modell to sell the Browns to an owner willing to keep the team in Cleveland in exchange for Modell getting a version of the Ravens built through an expansion draft, with the Browns playing home games at Ohio State for three years while the new stadium is built, where they could have enjoyed all the OSU gameday traditions. If that had happened the Browns would have been in better shape over the years.

That has nothing to do with hosting a Super Bowl. Being the last team to host a playoff spot is not a logical reason. I’m good with it being in cold weather cities. Let’s try it with the Patriots or the Eagles. Bigger cities before we branch out to the smallest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

That has nothing to do with hosting a Super Bowl. Being the last team to host a playoff spot is not a logical reason. I’m good with it being in cold weather cities. Let’s try it with the Patriots or the Eagles. Bigger cities before we branch out to the smallest.

I mean I want Foxboro and Philly to host one too. I in fact want 61-75 to be hosted by every current NFL market that has never hosted one, then the 30 markets can rotate hosting one afterward.

2 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I mean I want Foxboro and Philly to host one too. I in fact want 61-75 to be hosted by every current NFL market that has never hosted one, then the 30 markets can rotate hosting one afterward.

If it was just a football game, I’ll be for it, putting the superbowl in Cleveland, Buffalo, Green Bay, etc., but it’s not. It’s grown huge. The NFL isn’t a charity.

18 minutes ago, Acgott said:

If it was just a football game, I’ll be for it, putting the superbowl in Cleveland, Buffalo, Green Bay, etc., but it’s not. It’s grown huge. The NFL isn’t a charity.

Green Bay is Titletown USA though.

2 hours ago, D82 said:

That's not a reason to have them host a Super Bowl. The NFL is in the business of making money, and having Cleveland host the league's biggest game is not likely to be very profitable.

3 hours ago, Acgott said:

I’m sorry, it just doesn’t make sense. It’s an outdoor stadium where it’s freezing at night. In one of the “older” stadiums next to the new wonders of the world. It’s the 7th smallest nfl metro. It’s not a top tourist destination compared to a New Orleans. Cleveland is a great sports town, but it just doesn’t make sense for the NFL to host their biggest event.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this argument. The NFL is a business, therefore they should only host the most important game of the year in warm, marketable cities? 

By this logic, why not just gift the Cowboys home field throughout the playoffs so they can sell more tickets and merchandise and the NFL can do bigger ratings? 

Feels like I'm in a UFC thread lol.

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand this argument. The NFL is a business, therefore they should only host the most important game of the year in warm, marketable cities? 

By this logic, why not just gift the Cowboys home field throughout the playoffs so they can sell more tickets and merchandise and the NFL can do bigger ratings? 

You're not viewing it the right way...

The Super Bowl is like one big party where a football game is also being played. Your casual fan and celebs aren't going to went to spend what they spend on Super Bowl tickets and have to deal with cold weather. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Because it’s bigger than 1 game. It’s a whole week. Cleveland is cold, a smaller city, and an older stadium.

• Like 1

Just now, D82 said:

You're not viewing it the right way...

The Super Bowl is like one big party where a football game is also being played. Your casual fan and celebs aren't going to went to spend what they spend on Super Bowl tickets and have to deal with cold weather. 

Is the concern that the stadium won't sell out? Or are we just saying we can make even more by tipping the competitive balance? 

Because one team potentially gets to sleep in their own bed at night while another team potentially has to travel across the country (see SB 55). 

I'm looking at the most competitive, important game of the year in context of fairness first, which seems like the obvious answer to me. Because again, if we are only concerned about making dollars, why not have every playoff game in the bigger city, regardless of record?