Super Bowl 60 to Santa Clara

pf9

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

How is it an unfair edge? The whole idea of neutral field is nobody gets an edge - it’s neutral.

It's mostly neutral. Certainly, it's an unfair edge in theory if you happen to get to a SB the year you are hosting. That's a situation CLE literally cannot ever achieve - not just because it involves making a SB (heyooooo) - but simply because they just happen to be in a colder location and smaller market. Maybe there is also something to being a team that's generally further away like GB, but that's an unrealistically creative argument, imo.

I realize I'm walking right into what I believe is the best argument against myself which is "how often does it really happen and is it really worth losing potentially millions of dollars to prevent a 2% chance occurrence from happening?". It's happened (making this up bc too lazy to check), exactly one time in NFL history and it happened to be in a pandemic year where the crowd was 66% empty and in a game where the Bucs would have beat us at the Arrowhead practice facility.

I get it from the owner's perspective. But from a fan's perspective who doesn't have to report to stakeholders, I find it odd that something that is so generally valued ends up just being arbitrarily awarded to a certain % of teams. Feels like when my sister convinced my mom that she should always get shotgun in the car 'until I was older than her', despite being big enough to sit up there [twitches in PTSD].

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

I realize I'm walking right into what I believe is the best argument against myself which is "how often does it really happen and is it really worth losing potentially millions of dollars to prevent a 2% chance occurrence from happening?". It's happened (making this up bc too lazy to check), exactly one time in NFL history and it happened to be in a pandemic year where the crowd was 66% empty and in a game where the Bucs would have beat us at the Arrowhead practice facility.

Realistically, this is my argument. It’s happened twice (Rams won at SoFi - so both instances were within the last decade) and if you consider it against the entirety of the SB, it’s an anomaly that I’m not really going to lose sleep over.

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

But from a fan's perspective who doesn't have to report to stakeholders, I find it odd that something that is so generally valued ends up just being arbitrarily awarded to a certain % of teams.

Let me argue from another fans’ perspective: the fan who spends the week in the host city with everything going on.

It’s *FUN*. It’s a non-stop blast.

It’s like a huge music festival… but for football. You go around with a drink in hand, then you toss a football around to win a prize, then you stop by a booth to listen to some live music, then you go to another makeshift tent where a bunch of former players are meeting and greeting, then you grab another beer and some food, then you challenge your buddies in a 40 yard dash, then you hit up a makeshift concert with a bunch of street performers… it’s a wild experience, probably more fun than actually going to the game. This is why New Orleans is so good at hosting; That’s just Tuesday afternoon on Bourbon Street, they’re pros at this level of debauchery.

Before you tell me you can do all of this indoors in a cold weather city, look at this picture:

3d425814-a17d-4687-87c3-4873e1b05271-NAS

This is the 2019 NFL Draft - on Broadway street in Nashville, TN. An estimated 600,000 people were in attendance. Can you find me a venue that can pack THIS many people into it? If you can… I hope you can find more, because the Super Bowl is going to have 3x the people that this picture currently shows.

Maybe talking about the ownership’s stake in this doesn’t convey what I’m getting at - because the NFL Experience that happens the week before the Super Bowl is just as important to the fan experience as the game itself, and removing it because you HAVE to have a cold weather city represented is potentially killing the experience entirely. Without this, you’re strictly dependent on the game itself - and at that point, you better hope you don’t get a 13-3 NE/LAR SB, or fans will not let you forget how poor a SB was all around.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 5:13 PM, pf9 said:

People don't say "money causes more problems than it solves" for no reason. The NFL owes Cleveland this after screwing up the Modell situation nearly 3 decades ago. The Ravens got away with not having to go through an expansion draft, and as a result they have not had consecutive losing seasons since 1996-98. Meanwhile it has been 21 years since the Browns last improved in consecutive seasons, and 34 since their last division title and back-to-back winning let alone playoff seasons; the Browns are the only team not to win a division title in my lifetime. Besides, cold weather football is real football.

Image result for let it go gif

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ET80 said:

Before you tell me you can do all of this indoors in a cold weather city, look at this picture:

3d425814-a17d-4687-87c3-4873e1b05271-NAS

This is the 2019 NFL Draft - on Broadway street in Nashville, TN. An estimated 600,000 people were in attendance. Can you find me a venue that can pack THIS many people into it? If you can… I hope you can find more, because the Super Bowl is going to have 3x the people that this picture currently shows.

One more note on this - this was 2019, before any of us knew what a worldwide pandemic looked like.

So… do you wanna be the guy cramming 600,000 people into an enclosed space with no social distancing? 

Super Bowl LVI, exclusively broadcasted by NBC in 2022, generated $578.36 million of in-game advertising revenue, growing $143.8 million year over year, with $32 million in revenue generated during the halftime show alone.Feb 3, 2023

The NFL will never risk losing this kind of money, to basically a roll of the dice due to the weather. Plain and simple.

• Like 2