What happens to Kyler Murray if the Cardinals draft #1 overall?

notthatbluestuff

On 6/13/2023 at 5:56 AM, Daniel said:

Yeah, but has Kyler Murray had a season that was as good as Wentz's 2017 season?  I don't think so.  And Wentz had a pretty good 2019 too.  Injuries got him the other two years before the trade IIRC, so the Colts at least gave a first for a potentially high upside QB.  Everyone was picking them to win the division after all.

And I think you're more informed on this part, but will the team trading for Murray have to take on his enormous contract?  Because that also seems like a significant difference that makes him worth less.

Overall, I may just be lower on Murray than the consensus.  I don't think he's ever shown that he's actually a good QB.  But I also haven't watched him play that much, so I could be wrong.  I just don't know why any team would give away a first rounder for a diva QB that comes with an enormous contract that's never had a great season.

He also has never been as awful as Wentz was leading into when he was traded. It wasn't just injuries. He legit just wasn't good. He lead the league in interceptions and only played 12 games because he got benched. Also worth noting that Wentz was already 29 when he moved to the Colts. Murray will be two years younger. Not inconsequential. 

A team gave up two firsts and their own cromulent QB to get Matt Stafford. People will try to revise it and act like he was a top 7 QB at the time or something, but go back and look at the reaction to that trade. There were plenty of people who didn't think he was even a top ten QB. 

His contact is fine. It's not a deal, but by this time next year, a team acquiring his contract would largely be on the hook for 38 million a year for 3 years. That would place him below Daniel jones and right in line with Derek Carr. It'd be near the middle of the pack across the league. Like 14th or something after Burrow / Herbert sign their deals this year. I don't know how anyone would be so low on Murray that they think that is not reasonable. He's not a below average starting qb in this league right now. I just can't put guys like Derek Carr and Daniel Jones over him. The cap is expected to be like 240 million next year, I think? And I'm sure that a team will adjust that first year cap hit to allow it to spread that 3 x 38 over a 4th year by restructuring some base. 

I don't know if there is more of an upside with Kyler still to be found, but the man has been saddled with Kliff his entire career, so I'm certainly not ruling it out. Far too often watching that team the playcall seemed to be, "Kyler does something" (that's not to say I'm even certain that Kyler can play in a more structured offense). I mean, this was only a three game sample, but I'll never forget this tweet and how it made me feel about Kliff as an offensive mind LOL :

The biggest problem with Murray is if he really is the guy that he's purported to be. The attitude, the work ethic, giving up in the playoff game. Teams tolerate a lot of crap, but that stuff gets scrutinized pretty heavily, I think. Maybe some of it was just a toxic relationship between he and Kliff so they'll write some of it off...but the stuff outside of that is not a good ook. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

He also has never been as awful as Wentz was leading into when he was traded. It wasn't just injuries. He legit just wasn't good. He lead the league in interceptions and only played 12 games because he got benched. Also worth noting that Wentz was already 29 when he moved to the Colts. Murray will be two years younger. Not inconsequential. 

A team gave up two firsts and their own cromulent QB to get Matt Stafford. People will try to revise it and act like he was a top 7 QB at the time or something, but go back and look at the reaction to that trade. There were plenty of people who didn't think he was even a top ten QB. 

His contact is fine. It's not a deal, but by this time next year, a team acquiring his contract would largely be on the hook for 38 million a year for 3 years. That would place him below Daniel jones and right in line with Derek Carr. It'd be near the middle of the pack across the league. Like 14th or something after Burrow / Herbert sign their deals this year. I don't know how anyone would be so low on Murray that they think that is not reasonable. He's not a below average starting qb in this league right now. I just can't put guys like Derek Carr and Daniel Jones over him. The cap is expected to be like 240 million next year, I think? And I'm sure that a team will adjust that first year cap hit to allow it to spread that 3 x 38 over a 4th year by restructuring some base. 

I don't know if there is more of an upside with Kyler still to be found, but the man has been saddled with Kliff his entire career, so I'm certainly not ruling it out. Far too often watching that team the playcall seemed to be, "Kyler does something" (that's not to say I'm even certain that Kyler can play in a more structured offense). I mean, this was only a three game sample, but I'll never forget this tweet and how it made me feel about Kliff as an offensive mind LOL :

The biggest problem with Murray is if he really is the guy that he's purported to be. The attitude, the work ethic, giving up in the playoff game. Teams tolerate a lot of crap, but that stuff gets scrutinized pretty heavily, I think. Maybe some of it was just a toxic relationship between he and Kliff so they'll write some of it off...but the stuff outside of that is not a good ook. 

A lot of good points here. He will be a middle of the pack starting QB salary wise. Also people have underestimated how bad Kliff Kingsbury was who was his coached every season. Kingsbury scheme is a joke and a lot of the times Kyler improvised to make a play.  Kyler hasn’t bottomed out like Wentz. He’ll definitely fetch a 1st