What happens to Kyler Murray if the Cardinals draft #1 overall?

notthatbluestuff

I’m going to say New Orleans - the Derek Carr era wasn’t meant to be a long era, and Murray playing indoors sounds like a sound career decision for him. 

Another option - he’s going to angle to play for the Raiders, simply because he’ll aim to play for the As in 2027.

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

I’m going to say New Orleans - the Derek Carr era wasn’t meant to be a long era, and Murray playing indoors sounds like a sound career decision for him. 

Another option - he’s going to angle to play for the Raiders, simply because he’ll aim to play for the As in 2027.

Another L for Loomis I see.

Just now, ET80 said:

When your QB list reads Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton and Carr, Murray feels like a W…

Kyler Murray doesn't move the needle enough. You know that other thread in Gen "Delusional Franchise"? That would be peak delusion IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

Kyler Murray doesn't move the needle enough. You know that other thread in Gen "Delusional Franchise"? That would be peak delusion IMO.

Oh I don’t disagree, but I can see how Murray would bring hope to a team who watched a few seasons of those three QBs (I watched two seasons of Tyrod Taylor, Davis Mills and Jeff Driskel - I was convincing myself that Jimmy Garoppolo or Danny Jones would be manna from heaven).

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This would actually be great. 

Josh McDaniels and Kyler Murray sounds like an amazing combination. The As and Kyler deserve each other. 

Florio thinking far ahead:

What if Caleb Williams refuses to play for the Cardinals?

The Cardinals are on track to be among one of the worst teams in the NFL this year. Their handling of the cap consequences of the decision to release receiver DeAndre Hopkins shows they’re willing to embrace the suck.

So if the Cardinals (or the Texans, whose first-round pick the Cardinals own) end up earning the first overall pick in the draft, the Cardinals could be inclined to move on from quarterback Kyler Murray and select USC quarterback Caleb Williams.

But what if Williams isn’t interested in playing for the Cardinals?

The franchise has made more than a few headlines in recent months, from their Bart Simpson-style NFLPA report card to the arbitration claim filed by former executive Terry McDonough to the shameful response to it to the Jonathan Gannon tampering fiasco to the general sense of malaise around the team, new uniforms or not.

From Williams’s perspective, he’s making pretty good NIL money at USC. He doesn’t have to declare for the draft in 2024. And he could make it clear to the Cardinals that he just won’t do it if they’re going to be the team in position to pick him.

He also could simply refuse to play for them, living off his NIL money for a year and re-entering the draft.

Regardless, the new reality of the NCAA gives high-end players power unlike any they have ever had. Williams could be the first one to use that power, and the Cardinals could be the first team that power is used against.

• Like 1

Everyone assumes Murray would have decent trade value and he probably does.  It only takes one and high picks often get a second chance elsewhere.   

Even Josh Rosen got a second in return and Murray has had some good games, especially early in seasons.   

But who here wants their favorite team to trade for him?   

Not I.

A lot of people would say Wash or Atl or NO or Jets if Rodgers leaves or Raiders if Jimmy G. is hurt again.   But maybe not their fans.  

If you do want him, what would you give?

With all the people thinking the Cardinals are a shoe-in for #1, I'm almost certain that they will overachieve this year. 

Colt McCoy will have his Case Keenum year and the Cardinals will be fighting for the last wildcard spot in the final weeks of the season

Also dang Colt McCoy is 36 years old.  This man might outlast his entire draft class.  I think the only other player from that draft still signed to an NFL team is Trent Williams

Edited by iknowcool

9 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

How many times do we have to hear this before we realize it’s absolute nonsense? Wasn’t this the same narrative with CJ Stroud and Houston at the start of this past draft season?

Florio is going to say Florio things - but we know better.

• Like 2